The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-09-2019, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Question Need help between these 3 guitars for leaving at my Mom's

My Mom had gotten into playing guitar at 68 (never say you are not too old to learn ) and I am considering a quality but affordable guitar to leave at her house so I could play with her. To that end, I have made a small little list that I have narrowed down to 3. If anyone has anything to say about the models, and which you would consider, it would be appreciated.

Taylor 114ce natural https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...back-and-sides

Martin GCC-11E https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...series-natural

Taylor 114e Rosewood Grand Auditorium https://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor/...%20100&index=1
Old 11-09-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjop1975 View Post
My Mom had gotten into playing guitar at 68 (never say you are not too old to learn ) and I am considering a quality but affordable guitar to leave at her house so I could play with her. To that end, I have made a small little list that I have narrowed down to 3. If anyone has anything to say about the models, and which you would consider, it would be appreciated.

Taylor 114ce natural https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...back-and-sides

Martin GCC-11E https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...series-natural

Taylor 114e Rosewood Grand Auditorium https://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor/...%20100&index=1
First of all, as a 72-year old mom and grandmother I say good for your mom! My son never got into guitar but I love playing with my granddaughter (she’s five and plays the uke) so I’m sure your mom will love playing with you.

I looked at all three guitars, they are similar but different body woods. I personally prefer Martin over Taylor so of those three would lean towards the Martin. Since they have different tonewoods for sides and back they would have different sounds. The Martin has solid Sapele, the Taylors layered walnut and layered rosewood. What exactly is layered wood?

If you are just planning on playing informally go with the sound and feel you like best. Also, depending on where mom lives, remember to get what’s needed for humidification. When I left a guitar at my son’s in Colorado so I could play when we visited from South Carolina I left D’Addario Humidipaks inside its hardshell case. But I guess you can just have your mom care for the humidification the way she cares for hers. What does mom play?

Good luck, you probably can’t go wrong with any of the three choices and have fun!
Old 11-09-2019, 07:19 AM

I picked up a pre-owned 2012 Taylor 114 a few days ago and I absolutely love it, it plays and sounds superb, hearing it I very much doubt anyone would think it was a budget instrument. Especially if you can get one pre-owned I recommend it, I only paid £315 for mine in near perfect condition (new models around £700 sale price in UK).

My only concern is that I feel it's on the larger side of medium bodied guitars so if your mum has arthritis or is of small stature a smaller bodied guitar might be a better choice (but if only you are playing it that shouldn't be an issue obviously).

Old 11-09-2019, 07:27 AM

You can get these for $450. All solid wood

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/e1om

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/e2om_2018_new

https://sunriseguitars.com/products/eastman-e2om-cd
Old 11-09-2019, 07:27 AM

I'd also recommend putting Eastman on that list. They do some amazing things considering the price point.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I picked up a pre-owned 2012 Taylor 114 a few days ago and I absolutely love it, it plays and sounds superb, hearing it I very much doubt anyone would think it was a budget instrument. Especially if you can get one pre-owned I recommend it, I only paid £315 for mine in near perfect condition (new models around £700 sale price in UK).

My only concern is that I feel it's on the larger side of medium bodied guitars so if your mum has arthritis or is of small stature a smaller bodied guitar might be a better choice (but if only you are playing it that shouldn't be an issue obviously).
Oh, it is for me to leave there mostly for me. My Mom has a Kala parlor guitar because she is a smaller lady.

I tend to stay away from pre-owned because one person's good is another person's disaster. But that is a thought.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmaute View Post
First of all, as a 72-year old mom and grandmother I say good for your mom! My son never got into guitar but I love playing with my granddaughter (she’s five and plays the uke) so I’m sure your mom will love playing with you.

I looked at all three guitars, they are similar but different body woods. I personally prefer Martin over Taylor so of those three would lean towards the Martin. Since they have different tonewoods for sides and back they would have different sounds. The Martin has solid Sapele, the Taylors layered walnut and layered rosewood. What exactly is layered wood?

If you are just planning on playing informally go with the sound and feel you like best. Also, depending on where mom lives, remember to get what’s needed for humidification. When I left a guitar at my son’s in Colorado so I could play when we visited from South Carolina I left D’Addario Humidipaks inside its hardshell case. But I guess you can just have your mom care for the humidification the way she cares for hers. What does mom play?

Good luck, you probably can’t go wrong with any of the three choices and have fun!
My Mom plays a Kala parlor guitar. She did buy an X series Martin dread but it was way way too big for her, being shorter and not that big. She promptly returned it thank goodness and then I told her about Kala's parlor. Even her teacher loves the Kala.

Layered wood is Taylor's version of a laminate, but done with 3 layers of wood and I think poplar in the middle. Someone correct me if I am wrong with that.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjop1975 View Post
Oh, it is for me to leave there mostly for me. My Mom has a Kala parlor guitar because she is a smaller lady.

I tend to stay away from pre-owned because one person's good is another person's disaster. But that is a thought.
I wouldn't avoid pre-owned if you're getting it from a guitar shop - I think with the sheer number of guitars people try and sell for store credit shops are very choosy about what they'll accept, plus you can play it and spend as long inspecting it for faults as you require. It's also helpful to try out a new guitar by comparison, often they will have the same model new so you can hear for yourself if there are any differences worth the premium of a new instrument. Check for uneven frets, fret wear, high action, visible glue in the bracing, dings and cracks etc. Generally you can haggle it down a little further too as shops pay very poorly for second-hand guitars, I was quoted £250 for my Classic 50s Strat which I then sold the same night to a private buyer via Facebook for £480.

There is next to no wear and tear on this guitar at all, not even a measly ding. Frets in perfect condition with exception of the tiniest bit of fret wear on the first fret at the high strings, action is decent too. I suspect the previous owner never played the thing.

Pawn shop guitars are a different story in my experience, these can be seriously crap as the staff are unlikely to have the same level of knowledge and will most likely take anything even in very poor condition.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:24 AM

I understand the desire to stay away from used.
But if you know guitars, you’ll generally get more guitar for your money.

Based on the three guitars you’re looking at, you have a certain level of guitar in mind.
As one who has experienced top cracks, I’d suggest a Klos or Journey Instruments in Carbon fiber.
My travel guitar is the Journey OF660. I keep it with me because I love playing it.
But it would be a good one to leave if you are worried about widely varying humidity.
That said if you and mom are in the same town, or reasonably close and you’re gonna see here frequently. Buy the guitar that sounds beat to you. And be responsible to care for both her guitar maintenance and yours.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 11-09-2019, 08:25 AM

Out of thos three I would choose the Martin, just because I prefer Martin over Taylor.
BUT, You may do yourself a (and her) justice by looking at pre owned... such as a first generation Guild GAD series (early to mid 2000s) all solid wood, play and sound imo absolutely amazing. They were built in China but with flawless craftsmanship.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:02 AM

I'm into audience / recipient analysis. I recommend you consider a top quality crossover guitar. In fact, I recommend a test-play session of one for mom.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...iABEgJ-H_D_BwE
Old 11-09-2019, 11:02 AM

I suggest you take your mom shopping. Make a day of it. I think there are guitars out there that are as good or better than the three models cited. I've played some Washburns for under $600 that were terrific. What about one of the Yamahas? So much bang for the buck if you find the right one. Personally I'd rather have a Yamaha than a low-end Taylor. The Martin Road series are pretty good guitars, and I think I'd prefer one of them over the Taylor as well. I'm not familiar with Eastman, but I know a lot of folks that love them.

You're only 2 1/4 hours from Chicago with the best guitar stores in the region (maybe in the country) that are minutes apart from each other. You have CME. 10 minutes from there you have Guitar Center (on Halsted Street). There are a few boutique shops within a few minutes. If you want a change of university scenery, you could take a drive to Evanston to Guitar Works and then do a drive-by to see Northwestern U.

Bottom line advice: Don't by a brand or a model- Buy a guitar. Having those models in mind helps set a price-point, but if you look hard you might find better/cheaper. I think a road trip with your mom could be an incredible bonding experience.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I recommend either of the Taylors. I have s few Taylors and have played a variety of them. One in particular, my 214CE (Opie) has been with me about 10 years now. The things I note most about Taylors is build consistency, playability, and Customer support. My 214CE lives in the back of my car and is always there if I need it. I just changed the strings on it today and it sounds and plays very nice. I know I will get flak for the "back of my car" but I have other guitars I can pamper, and I still think about heat and cold issues. My point is that they are sturdy and you would not need to worry much about them.

The Mexican Taylors have a 1 11/16 neck but I still like the playability. As for the sound I think they compete well with other laminates and even some solid body guitars.

You may also want to consider the Yamaha FXXXX series, lots pf love for them on the forum and Yamaha has good reputation for build quality and sound.

Lee

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion