The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Sacraficing your sound for mono?

How much are you willing to compromise your stereo sound for mono compatibility, and why?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-16-2014, 05:14 PM

i usually only record keys and drum tracks(not live) in stereo, otherwise, everything else is recorded in mono.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
How much are you willing to compromise your stereo sound for mono compatibility, and why?
I'm willing to totally compromise it. If you collapse one of my recordings to mono I want it to completely null out - no sound at all. None. That'll teach 'em.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i usually only record keys and drum tracks(not live) in stereo, otherwise, everything else is recorded in mono.

play music!
Ditto. The only addition here is acoustic guitars. I almost ALWAYS use two mics. And usually, they are recording in stereo.
Cordoba C10 Crossover
Many more!
Old 05-17-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post

play music!
That's not what the OP meant. Today's 'kids' are listening to music on their smartphones with one ear bud or the crappy little speaker - in mono.
I've been checking my mixes in mono, very easy to do in Reaper, as there is a 'mono' button the master buss.
This is a good way to ensure there is no phase cancellation issue (haha to sdelsolray).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-17-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
That's not what the OP meant. Today's 'kids' are listening to music on their smartphones with one ear bud or the crappy little speaker - in mono.
I've been checking my mixes in mono, very easy to do in Reaper, as there is a 'mono' button the master buss.
This is a good way to ensure there is no phase cancellation issue (haha to sdelsolray).
oh, i guess i'm out of the loop. never mind! ha!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Call me old fashioned but I don't sacrifice. It is a given to me that I always work with techniques that foster compatibly and check compatibility. I learned that in 1972 when I put on Paul Simon's "Mother and Child Reunion," and accidentally pushed in the headphone jack halfway, shorting the two channels to mono. The lead guitar, lead guitar only, went completely away but its reverb remained. When I shoved in the jack completely the lead guitar sound was really wide with no center image. When I studied recording in college in 1979 I found the reason: The guitar was run into two channels and the phase was reversed on one, causing the wide image. The reverb was true stereo, the output from a stereo plate reverb, and was non-coherent, meaning that it shared little information between the channels, so it didn't phase cancel.

I've always just considered it necessary to be phase coherent so it isn't a compromise.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Call me old fashioned but I don't sacrifice. It is a given to me that I always work with techniques that foster compatibly and check compatibility. I learned that in 1972 when I put on Paul Simon's "Mother and Child Reunion," and accidentally pushed in the headphone jack halfway, shorting the two channels to mono. The lead guitar, lead guitar only, went completely away but its reverb remained. When I shoved in the jack completely the lead guitar sound was really wide with no center image. When I studied recording in college in 1979 I found the reason: The guitar was run into two channels and the phase was reversed on one, causing the wide image. The reverb was true stereo, the output from a stereo plate reverb, and was non-coherent, meaning that it shared little information between the channels, so it didn't phase cancel.

I've always just considered it necessary to be phase coherent so it isn't a compromise.

Bob
100% phase coherent is pure mono.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-17-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I'm willing to sacrifice quite a bit but I still like there to be something there in mono, just in case.

Just in case of what?, I'm asking myself. A cell phone?!!!

If somebody's listening on a phone, at that level of fidelity, why should I care?
I really can't think of why I should.

Other than that what's mono anymore?

Jim McCarthy
Old 05-17-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I'm willing to totally compromise it. If you collapse one of my recordings to mono I want it to completely null out - no sound at all. None. That'll teach 'em.
If it sounds great in MONO - you have a great mix. Period.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I'm willing to sacrifice quite a bit but I still like there to be something there in mono, just in case.

Just in case of what?, I'm asking myself. A cell phone?!!!

If somebody's listening on a phone, at that level of fidelity, why should I care?
I really can't think of why I should.

Other than that what's mono anymore?

Jim McCarthy
cell phones, "blended" FM reception when the signal strength is not enough to hold a stereo signal, clock radios, overhead systems in restaurants, elevators and other commercial venues, (most) AM radio, many internet radio stations,

mono.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 05-18-2014, 06:15 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
100% phase coherent is pure mono.
Pardon, I meant compatible.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-18-2014, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure I really get the question? Especially since any good mix on my home stereo or studio system sounds fine (albeit less dynamic) on my I phone even with just the built in speaker. Guess I'll have to listen closer.

And maybe I have not been paying attention but everybody I see listening on ear buds has a pair?

And when a playback system is actually putting out mono isn't it just putting putting both the L and R into one combo output?

The only thing I have noticed about trying to get a mix to sound good on limited playback systems is if the mix has lows like a kick drum or bass gtr. you seem to loose everything below about 150 hz so I tend to boost 100 to 250 a bit to keep the low instruments still audible

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-18-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:19 PM

I think the more you move away from in front of your stereo speakers you are moving away from that perfect stereo sound (might be wrong on this ... I'm writing as I'm thinking about it ) ... for example, taken to extremes, when you have the music on in the living room but you are in the hall ... you are hearing a mono signal ... through the doorway.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:28 AM

Bob's explanation was pretty clear. There are some recording techniques and effect that achieve their stereo wideness by taking one track copying it and flipping the polarity. When these two are played back and panned to extremes you get a very wide sound. When you combine them in mono, the sound can disappear because the two polarities cancel out..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD