The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 PM

Default Raising a fallen archtop.

Late 30's early-early (celluloid tuning buttons, stenciled headstock) RK electric Archtop. Came real cheap because it's a fixer- arch fell, needed new buttons, small piece of binding missing, bit of neck lift, but the thing's totally in-situ condition. The strings I took off it were probably strung in the Roosevelt Administration, still has the original rope, etc.

Going to make some spruce braces and run them parallel with the neck to build in support, but my question has to do with raising the fallen arch (laminate top). It fell in the typical spot, right at the pickup cutout.

Using felt padded machinists screw jacks to raise 'er up- should I employ heat or steam at any point in this process? I have a heat gun and steam needle for induction, if needed.

Last edited by BusterBFan; 09-12-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:19 PM

^^ Back Up ^^

Someone's gotta know...
Old 09-17-2011, 12:54 PM

Arch top guitars usually have either an X or an A style bracing affixed to the top. I'm guessing that for there to be that much deformation to the top, the bracing has detached. I'd suggest starting by looking inside the instrument using a light and a mirror. Look for evidence that there was bracing, or that none of it has come loose.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:33 PM

The usual method for raising an arch on a fiddle involves removing the top, taking off the bass bar (if it's still there), and using heat to press it out. Hot sand bags are often used. You'll seldom get very much milage with the simple application of force: it took time for the top to fall that far, and it will take nearly as much time to raise it if you can't use heat. Sadly, since this is a laminated top, heat may also be out of the question.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:21 PM

Hot sandbags is interesting.

Obviously, I can't wait 70 years to re-raise it, so I'll have to figure something out. I'd imagine this is a good start.

http://www.guitarrepairshop.com/repairply.html
Old 09-28-2011, 02:28 AM

Anyone have any ideas about isolated application of heat or steam to make the misshapen area more malleable?

I'm thinking about tenting off a small section with plastic wrap on the underside of the top, then running a stream needle in there, possibly applying some dry heat to the top...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair