The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-31-2007, 03:48 PM

The storeable scenes feature with 5 presets and 10 you can add looks like it'll help a lot......IF the channels are independant. I probably used a dozen different instruments last week alone in live situations.
I take that back....nine....I just counted.
Wait, I take that beck.....twelve......three different vocal mics.

My wife had a great question, do they take trade-in's?
Old 03-31-2007, 04:19 PM

TerryAllanHall,

No point countering what you've said, you're like quite a few musicians I know that don't like working with the Bose system, and it's the principle reason I don't use it in group situations. No, it doesn't push air the same way. All the better, they can stay on their course while I get more calls, complements, pleased clients, and tips.

Well, I've got to mosey and play a covered wagon tour.....hmmmm...I get to use a real steel stringed acoustic for this, probably the DV-52 cause it's hot and it's the closest thing to a beater, and a banjo. No decision on a PA though, names like G-K, EV, JBL, Yamaha, Carvin, and Altec stay in the barn once again while I'm a ridin' with Bose.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
Thanks for the Physics lesson, Herb. I've owned and have been using the Bose system for 18 months, and am very familiar with the dispersion pattern of the drivers used in the system. The reasoning I described in my previous post came directly from a Bose engineer's comments on the Bose forum. As they designed the product, I made the assumption they knew why the change was made to the radiato. r pattern...
It wasn't my intention to offend you. I was simply explaining why I thought Bose changed the way the speakers were mounted. I am not an audio engineer but whatever the reason Bose had for the design change, beaming occurs when the wavelength is short relative to the size of the radiator.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
Thanks for the Physics lesson, Herb. I've owned and have been using the Bose system for 18 months, and am very familiar with the dispersion pattern of the drivers used in the system. The reasoning I described in my previous post came directly from a Bose engineer's comments on the Bose forum. As they designed the product, I made the assumption they knew why the change was made to the radiator pattern...

Last edited by Brackett Instruments; 03-31-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody b View Post
Don't worry Gutch. Herb's an expert on all kinds of things he has no actual experience with.
Once again, I've never claimed to be an expert on anything.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:52 PM

Wow!! I can see right now, this is going to get VVV-EEE- RRR-Y INN-TERR-ESSS-TING!!!
Hope I can help stir things up along the way.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Once again, I've never claimed to be an expert on anything.

I edited my original post in the interest of rule #1.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:41 PM

Looks like reading in the bose forum there will be no additional presets created for the older L1s as the T1 is easily updated using USB interface.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:21 PM

I too have played over 100 gigs with the L1. I have never had a better sound for acoustic guitar and vocals. Never. I've played professionally for over 20 years. Bose has been guilty of hyperbole many times, just not with this product. If anything, it is understated: the L1 line array is the single greatest piece of music gear I've ever come across.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 PM

I look forward to trying out the T1. My only real issue with my L1 model I is the inability to insert reverb/delay/compression. With the new T1 I will have 3 channel capability. Problem is, if I am trying to source more than 3 inputs with EF/X I still need a board. And if I'm carrying a small board (a Spirit 8 channel) it's just as easy to carry the rack unit with the TC and compressor.

I understand the premise that each band member should invest in there own unit. In this scenario, three channels would be more than enough.

I think eventually Bose will alter the marketing philosophy and turn the T1 into an actual mixer. My guess is eventually they will hit a marketrshare ceiling and they will expand the offering into the more traditional mindset.

I learned the hard way that the channel inputs are mic level inputs and most boards output line level. I purchased some adjustable pads and now it's real simple to run a board for two of us who both play guitar and sing and want reverb/delay and a touch of compression.

Cakes, just to follow-up on your observation about the T1 with the L1 model I system. It appears as if two cables will be utilized -- the power cable (it must plug into the ethernet port) and the analog output to plug into ch. 3 or 4. if you use the mount to mount the T1 onto the cylinder, I guess there will be two cables dangling. They don't show that anywhere on the site, do they?

max
Old 03-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Cocobologist

I was thinking about the cable situation with the T1 as well. They said the T1 cable is 15ft., so if you have it mounted on the stick, you'll still have approx 10-12 ft to deal with, along with any XLR cables going to it. If it's being used on the "Classic" L1, then you'll also have a power cable.

Just thinking out loud, I'm thinking bundling the cables with Velcro wraps, then sticking some more velcro in the trough on the back of the tower that the wraps would attach to and lead naturally to the base/floor. Would keep stage appearance neat and, if you always use the same setup, it would be easy to label the ends of the cables and keep the whole bundle together for simpler setup/teardown...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 04-01-2007, 05:38 AM

I'll probably get a T1 when they become available, or at least after they've been out enough to fix any new product bugs. I'll either shorten the cable or mount the T1 on my mic stand or pedalboard. I used to keep my L1 remote on my pedal board but I don't like bending over that much. I recentely got a mic stand mount for my remote(which I could have easily made, but I'm lazy ).
Old 04-01-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
I too have played over 100 gigs with the L1. I have never had a better sound for acoustic guitar and vocals. Never. I've played professionally for over 20 years. Bose has been guilty of hyperbole many times, just not with this product. If anything, it is understated: the L1 line array is the single greatest piece of music gear I've ever come across.
I think the key point in your post is "for acoustic guitar and vocals". If I were playing in a full-band or electric situation, the L1 might not be the best solution.

But for my solo and duo acoustic guitar and vocals thing, I agree, it's fantastic. The only hyperbole in their marketing I see is the idea of plugging your electric into it

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
The only hyperbole in their marketing I see is the idea of plugging your electric into it
Yeah, I admit to not having any idea about how it works in an electric band--but hey, people should only be playing acoustics, right?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm View Post
Yeah, I admit to not having any idea about how it works in an electric band--but hey, people should only be playing acoustics, right?
Testify brother!

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell