The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-23-2020, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

...when I was starting out I couldn’t stand country&western music....that was mid 1960’s...Willie Nelson brought me in to the fold when he released Red Headed Stranger and Stardust in the late 70’s...since then I worked my way back through time and discovered a lot of great music by a lot of great country icons.....these days I listen to a lot of old c&w and have learned a number of classic tunes that I play regularly....

.....mainstream modern country music isn’t really doing much for me although I have a lot of respect for the talented players and the impressive studio work that Nashville continues to produce....
Old 01-23-2020, 10:25 AM

Two of my all-time faves:

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-23-2020, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Although I can't say I was a Jimmy Dean fan, I frequently paddled past his former home on the Lower James River east of Richmond VA...

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:05 PM

I play in a classic country band (on bass). Not only do we remember them, we play and sing them every other week for a crowd of other classic country lovers and dancers. Our lead guitarist (age 76) cut his teeth on this stuff, and was often in the backup band when they toured in the area. There was a place near me, an amusement park called Lake Compounce, and another a few miles away called "Crystal Ballroom" and touring acts would swing in, often using a pickup band for the gig. Anyhow, Gene is a knowledgable historian of all things country, has met many of the greats and their families (and is still in contact with many) and can tell stories for hours. And can not only recount the songs, but can tell you who played what instrument on which recording in what year ... and probably tell you what strings were on the guitar!
Old 01-23-2020, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

We can't forget the "Country Poet"...

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-23-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Jimmie Rodgers and Hank Williams are still a great source of material for me.
Gotta go set up my club now, but I'll add some examples tomorrow!
Old 01-23-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
What if I told you...
There are artists alive today writing and performing in this genre right now?
Wayne Hancock, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Caleb Clauder, Robbie Fulks.....
Yes there are, but they are not given the radio time like Georgia Florida Line and such. 😢
Old 01-23-2020, 02:18 PM

Default Jimmie Rodgers

My Dad loved this song and I love it too:
1998 Alvarez-Yairi DY38c
2012 Kentucky KM-150 Mandolin
Old 01-23-2020, 05:23 PM

Default Who out there remembers and loves the old long forgotten Country Western artists?

Lotta great Responses and good stuff shared on this topic. The Roots are deep in a lot of you folks[emoji106]The Folk lore/History and songs new and old are still being carried on in Acoustic songwriters and musicians to this day. As writer/Musician’s pass on like Guy Clark’ —others take their place. Stalwarts like Tom T Hall’ Ian Tyson’ Willie’ Bobby Bare’ Tony Rice’ Gordon Lightfoot’ are in or nearing the Golden years. The Instruments Guitars/Mandolins/banjos/Dobros they played is another great topic of Study! Clarence Whites Old D-28 is a Story unto itself. Along with Monroe’s Loar F-5. What about Marty Robbins tiny Martin 5-18! Nelson’s Worn And Tattered Martin Guitar!!The Instruments alone carry so much Folk lore and history. Here’s the great ‘Jimmy Driftwood holding the Hand made guitar he built and played! I’m unaware of Where Driftwoods’ Guitar Resides today? Likely it’s in the Smithsonian’ . —-Will Willies’ old Martin end up in the Smithsonian or a Nashville Museum? Or some billionaires home?—Wherever it may end up. I hope it gets played at least occasionally. Doc Watson played many a Driftwood song over the years. Driftwood’ Wrote many and was a wealth of old traditional Folk songs. I believe he’s was designated a National historic Treasure/figure by Congress years ago.

Last edited by Sage Runner; 01-23-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:10 PM

I used to work with a guy whose stepfather's brother was Billy Walker. Billy Walker had a big hit with "Charlie's Shoes" back in 1962.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p_eFwMtxdA
Old 01-23-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleBluesMan View Post
I used to work with a guy whose stepfather's brother was Billy Walker. Billy Walker had a big hit with "Charlie's Shoes" back in 1962.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p_eFwMtxdA

Like many C/W Artists during the late 50s to about 1961’. Billy Walker had a couple Rockabilly Numbers. I used to -and still may have a few of his early Rockin 45’s.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:53 PM

There was a run of songs from Johnny Lee in the early 80's that I still love. This is one of my favorite.

Old 01-29-2020, 02:16 PM

No mention of Burl Ives? I like his early solo recordings, nothing more than his guitar and voice but I also like the one below (I have an older, less slick version that I prefer but couldn’t find on YouTube though this one is quite similar).

Old 01-29-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
No mention of Burl Ives? I like his early solo recordings, nothing more than his guitar and voice but I also like the one below (I have an older, less slick version that I prefer but couldn’t find on YouTube though this one is quite similar).

I like Burl Ives. His distinctive voice reminds me of aural velvet, but I think of him as a folky rather than a country western artist.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-29-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I like Burl Ives. His distinctive voice reminds me of aural velvet, but I think of him as a folky rather than a country western artist.
Four Top Ten singles in the Billboard Country charts, plus a #12 & a #13. The lines weren't as strictly drawn way back when.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic