The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-22-2020, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Ho hum...

Since I don't get to go to NAMM like kramster always does, I decided to treat myself to a new McPherson Sable with the gold frets and gold Schaller tuners and the honeycomb top.

A fine excuse for a fine guitar.

So now I am well stocked with carbon fiber instruments: 3 pre-Peavey Cargos, 2 McPherson Touring - both with the full gold package and honeycomb top, and one McPherson Sable with full gold package and honeycomb top.

Guess I don't need to go to NAMM.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-22-2020, 07:35 PM

Hi Tony,
Enjoy your new Sable and the rest of the cf guitars!
Barb
Old 01-22-2020, 07:49 PM

Although hard to judge through YouTube videos, the Sable is one of the best sounding cF guitars I've heard. You don't see them pop up for sale very often and can clearly see the quality of the design in them. McPherson makes top notch stuff no doubt!

Congrats!!
Old 01-22-2020, 08:03 PM

Nice buy big guy!!!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-22-2020, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Though I have no idea if this is true...

The sales guy said he had toured the McPherson factory and was told that they only make about 500 of the carbon fiber series per year. Also, I don't know if he meant 500 Sable and 500 Touring, or 500 total. What I do know is that the Sable I got today is the first I have seen with the full gold package. I have seen one or two with gold tuners, but nickel frets. I wanted the whole package, so I held out until today.

I have seen pictures of the new "basket weave" tops, and I must say that my preference is still for the honeycomb. Maybe others like the basket weave better. Something for everybody, so that is a good thing.

Anyway, maybe somebody here can verify the numbers??

My nephew is into bow hunting, and he told me that McPherson makes the finest carbon fiber bows in the world. If that is true, then we would expect the same for carbon fiber guitars.

My collection feels complete - until the next one. :0

The McPherson factory is about a two hour drive from me. Maybe this spring or summer I can go visit. Having three McPhersons should qualify me as a customer, though all three together still don't add up to the cost of one wood model.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-22-2020, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Hi Tony,
Enjoy your new Sable and the rest of the cf guitars!
Barb
Thanks Barb. It will be quite easy to comply.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-22-2020, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Although hard to judge through YouTube videos, the Sable is one of the best sounding cF guitars I've heard. You don't see them pop up for sale very often and can clearly see the quality of the design in them. McPherson makes top notch stuff no doubt!

Congrats!!
That could very well be true. I have yet to hear/play an Emerald, but I think that will be happening before long since there is a guy around this forum who lives in the metro area and we will eventually be getting together. He wants to try my McPhersons and I want to try his X20. I think we will both be impressed.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-22-2020, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Nice buy big guy!!!
Thanks kramster. We may have to have an arms race agreement so we don't go crazy trying to outdo each other's McPherson collections.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-22-2020, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Tony - good that you were able to "hold out" until you could get exactly what you want! Your collection sounds like historical timeline of CA and McPherson CF. Probably goes without saying, but I will say it: got photos?
Old 01-23-2020, 05:18 AM

Congrats Tony, I have only had mine a couple months, but it is a fantastic guitar, as you know. Enjoy.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:21 AM

Sure wish there was a photo of said guitar... just wish in’.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-23-2020, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Regarding photos, these McPhersons all look the same, so I could post a link to most any site that has one on display. I think a more fitting NGD post, particularly for a mass produced guitar, would be a video with actual playing an actual song, and an explanation of why this particular guitar was purchased. It would probably also be much more helpful to those still looking at possibly purchasing that same model. However, that will take more time to put together.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-23-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Regarding photos, these McPhersons all look the same, so I could post a link to most any site that has one on display. I think a more fitting NGD post, particularly for a mass produced guitar, would be a video with actual playing an actual song, and an explanation of why this particular guitar was purchased. It would probably also be much more helpful to those still looking at possibly purchasing that same model. However, that will take more time to put together.

Tony
Ok you got out of it..I’ll just look at mine ... I really like the gold and honey comb on my touring... kinda wish Sable matched...
Old 01-23-2020, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Ok you got out of it..I’ll just look at mine ... I really like the gold and honey comb on my touring... kinda wish Sable matched...
I thought you had a Sable with the gold package?!? I will try getting up a video of my Sable soon. Time is the primary issue.

Having just restrung my Sable with the same type of strings I use on my Taylor (the same as what their factory puts on the K14ce), I am pretty much convinced that the Sable is a carbon fiber version of Taylor as far as the neck is concerned. To me, that is a good thing, since playability is an important issue.

The strings are Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb HD Light (53 through 13), so that the bass strings are light gauge and the top strings are medium. This makes barre'ing chords easier, while providing a full sound in the highs. The Sable has plenty of bass response, so I don't notice any bass lacking with these. The part number is 16182, in case anybody else wishes to try these.

I don't know how many Sable and/or Touring owners there are around here, but it seems a good idea for those with similar guitars to exchange these kinds of information as we experiment with getting the most sound and playability from our guitars. Taylor is all about playability, so trying their choice in strings just makes sense to me, especially since the Sable/Touring necks are so much like what Taylor does.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-23-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
The strings are Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb HD Light (53 through 13), so that the bass strings are light gauge and the top strings are medium. This makes barre'ing chords easier, while providing a full sound in the highs. The Sable has plenty of bass response, so I don't notice any bass lacking with these. The part number is 16182, in case anybody else wishes to try these.

Tony
Thanks Tony, and I agree. I've tried all of Elixir's offerings and like the HD lights best. Having said that, I've found that of all the coated variety (which make sense on a CF guitar) I like the new D'addario XT quite a lot. I wish they offered a set with a 13 and 17 but they don't so I buy them separately- that is how much more I like the feel and tone of beefed up trebles on my CF.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber