The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
When CFM IV & Co. design the perfect guitar - I'll let you know...
That happened around 1929 when Martin designed the OM. Then in 1931 when the D-1 and D-2 dreads came out. You know, the guitars every major builder imitates and emulates still today. When someone comes out with a better product........I'll let you know......
Old 01-18-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
All good points. Luckily, to my ears this SC-13 has the Martin tone. It's not going to make you forget what you love about an HD-28, but it's not wimpy by any stretch.
Optimistically looking forward to playing them. Unfortunately, schedule pulls me out of southern California this NAMM show. Maybe I'll have you guys send me one for a proper thrashing. When are they coming to the store?
Old 01-18-2020, 01:04 PM

Only from reading Spoon’s review, my guess is this is the long needed home run for Martin to gain market share with younger players, and is a pivotal achievement for a company that has built its reputation on tradition, but must face the future and has done so with good business sense - needless to say the influence of its most daunting competitor, Taylor, has foreshadowed this new model. Big win-win for Martin.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
This instrument will probably upset the traditionalists...but this guitar was not designed for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
That happened around 1929 when Martin designed the OM. Then in 1931 when the D-1 and D-2 dreads came out. You know, the guitars every major builder imitates and emulates still today. When someone comes out with a better product........I'll let you know......
Hmmm. I think the OP might be on to something.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:12 PM

Snake oil salesmen says you see the bolts are routed through here and here—-but this is not a bolt on neck!!!!
Old 01-18-2020, 01:21 PM

I want one...

...but there are about 1,001 other guitars I want first.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
You're right, those were perfect guitars for that time when nobody played with a guitar amplifier. These days, almost everyone who plays onstage plays plugged in. Those that play on stage just might find that for them this guitar is perfect for them.

With the new neck joint, the excellent use of limited tonewoods, and the asymmetrical shaped neck, it just might be the perfect guitar for me. I won't know until I try one. But I sure am excited to try one and find out.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:21 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
Chris Martin has given his young designers autonomy...and they've used it to create something MODERN and FUNCTIONAL. This instrument will probably upset the traditionalists...but this guitar was not designed for you. The street price will be circa $1500.

This and more at NAMM 2020...
MAP is $1,499...so street will likely be below $1,300.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...sc-13e-natural

Old 01-18-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
You're right, those were perfect guitars for that time when nobody played with a guitar amplifier. These days, almost everyone who plays onstage plays plugged in. ..
Yes. And most people playing today - plugged in - use the same guitars.

Quote:
. Those that play on stage just might find that for them this guitar is perfect for them.
Some (hopefully all) will likely find it just right.

Quote:
With the new neck joint, ... and the asymmetrical shaped neck, it just might be the perfect guitar for me. I won't know until I try one. But I sure am excited to try one and find out.
Ditto. When I come across one in the wild I'll know how applicable it might be for me. For me to buy any guitar it has to be head-and-shoulders above almost anything I've ever played and certainly better than most of what I have. Since I already have plenty of great guitars, anything new has to rise to the "great" level, at least.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Why are they on this kick of making so many guitar with 2 5/32 saddle spacing? Takes me out of the game right there.
Exactly my thoughts.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

On the con side, it did not sound good, ambient recording environment notwithstanding.

On the Pro side, I think they put more new innovations into this than the last 3 iterations of "New" Taylors combined. None of them made me want to try/buy. This one does. Now, I hope they'll do this treatment on an OM-28. Then you'll REALLY have me.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:58 PM

The neck attachment seems to borrow the idea from Journey travel guitars. Both these guitars eliminate the heel by using a bolt on technology along with a cutaway.

https://reverb.com/item/15988576-jou...ustic-electric

It is pretty laughable for the designer to claim it is not a bolt on neck. Most obviously it is. Welcome to the 21st century.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:39 PM

What catches my eye about this guitar is that it has a blue/white rosette and a regular brown pick guard. The pick guard should complement the rosette, meaning it should have some blue in it. If Martin is going to freak out the Luddites, it should go all the way.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:12 PM

You can't say your company is all about innovation because you made something new 80 years ago !

Yes, it's a bolt on neck that is also a dove tail joint. I have a Guild CO-1 that has that too. Build in the early 2000s in Corona, I believe.

The " X brace in your face Taylor " bracing doesn't make sense, really. Unless it's really there because of needing more support for the neck joint setup.

All that being said, I would be interested in playing one. Offset body, rotated neck, cutaway heal. The proof would be in the playing.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 01-19-2020, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
You can't say your company is all about innovation because you made something new 80 years ago !
Might be true, but on the other hand that 'something new' was influencing steelstring guitars much more than most other companies did within those 80 years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion