The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-09-2020, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
LR Baggs has strayed
From the Analog Way
When things like that happen
There's lots to say
Regardless of the final verdict on this new device, Lloyd's marketing folks have done it again.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
They don't indicate what it costs anywhere, do they? Have they not announced it?
$399. I’ll have DETAILED coverage on my YouTube Channel next week. I’ll be at NAMM all week so please subscribe and I’ll post some clips to tide everyone over until I get back home and make an in-depth summary video. I’m like a kid in a toy store this time of year!
Old 01-09-2020, 03:42 PM

Leave your checkbook and credit cards at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
$399. I’ll have DETAILED coverage on my YouTube Channel next week. I’ll be at NAMM all week so please subscribe and I’ll post some clips to tide everyone over until I get back home and make an in-depth summary video. I’m like a kid in a toy store this time of year!
Old 01-09-2020, 04:26 PM

Between Aura, Tonedexter, and now the Baggs IR device, there are few excuses left for not getting a decent acoustic tone live. I am certain, however, that pickup quack will live on... sigh.
[email protected]
Two cool Breedloves
Five amazing Aura-equipped Martins
2013 Gibson SJ-200
Two jumbo maple Guild 12-strings
Guild 8-string baritone
1979 Ovation Custom Balladeer
Peter Frampton Epiphone Texan
Yamaha 12-string
Alvarez classical
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10-Top
Lots of Fender & Variax electrics
Old 01-09-2020, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bartus View Post
Between Aura, Tonedexter, and now the Baggs IR device, there are few excuses left for not getting a decent acoustic tone live. I am certain, however, that pickup quack will live on... sigh.
Until it’s built in to the guitar for a fair price then I agree.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bartus View Post
I'll be using my Baggs Anthem SL-equipped guitar tonight, in conjunction with a Zoom A1 Four for some precise EQ adjustments. There will be very little quack, even when I'm strumming like a madman.

If the Soundscape truly works with every type of pickup, and if the anti-feedback circuitry works as advertised, then the less quacky or non-quacky pickup types (mags, SBTs and hybrid pickups) will be more viable in high volume settings. (The mag will sound better and the other types will be less feedback prone.) There will be less need to have a pure UST in the guitar.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Until it’s built in to the guitar for a fair price then I agree.

Dragged out my Martin D18e Retro (inbuilt Aura F1+) yesterday after playing various guitar/pickup combinations direct to my mixer/headphones.

It has it all really! All there and self contained - just plug in!

But the Law Of Acoustica made sure the neck is too skinny for me. Which is why I bought the Tonedexter....

BluesKing777.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:17 PM

Default New Baggs IR pedal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Dragged out my Martin D18e Retro (inbuilt Aura F1+) yesterday after playing various guitar/pickup combinations direct to my mixer/headphones.

But the Law Of Acoustica made sure the neck is too skinny for me. Which is why I bought the Tonedexter....

BluesKing777.

Indeed. It was their best system. And the laws do state that for every guitar with a solution there is a new problem to be found.

Last edited by martingitdave; 01-09-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Indeed. It was there best system. And the laws do state that for every guitar with a solution there is a new problem to be found.
I’m still waiting for info on the new Aura Blend system.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:50 PM

My J45 with an Anthem SL sounds great even plugged straight into a PA. Haven’t tried it yet with my Zoom A1 Four. What model and EQ setting are you using ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I'll be using my Baggs Anthem SL-equipped guitar tonight, in conjunction with a Zoom A1 Four for some precise EQ adjustments. There will be very little quack, even when I'm strumming like a madman.

If the Soundscape truly works with every type of pickup, and if the anti-feedback circuitry works as advertised, then the less quacky or non-quacky pickup types (mags, SBTs and hybrid pickups) will be more viable in high volume settings. (The mag will sound better and the other types will be less feedback prone.) There will be less need to have a pure UST in the guitar.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I’m still waiting for info on the new Aura Blend system.

Indeed. Please correct my spelling above in your post.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post

BluesKing777.

I always see praise for this system - does it pick up body sounds ?
Old 01-09-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
I always see praise for this system - does it pick up body sounds ?

Nope. None - I went and plugged in again to listen. The only sound comes from the undersaddle pickup - I tapped the saddle with my fingernail and got a sound but none from the body or top.

Next I grabbed my Maton EBG808 to compare - the system has an undersaddle pickup PLUS a condenser mic in the soundhole that makes everything sound so ‘real’, great for fingerpicking......but of course the mic catches any body noises. The mic makes this guitar way better than the Martin Retro because when fingerpicking fast, for example, the basses track really nicely instead of doing their own thing, like a lot of pickups do!

Let us hope the new Baggs gadget can make my other guitars with fat necks and foibles sound like the Maton plugged!

BluesKing777.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:41 AM
Charter Member

ARGHHHH , I was just thinking about plunking down $$$ for a Tonedexter when I saw this thread, at the same price point I’m back to being not sure .... this makes me curious what Doug’s thoughts might be comparing the Tonedexter to the Soundscape in terms of his guitar.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 01-10-2020, 01:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
ARGHHHH , I was just thinking about plunking down $$$ for a Tonedexter when I saw this thread, at the same price point I’m back to being not sure .... this makes me curious what Doug’s thoughts might be comparing the Tonedexter to the Soundscape in terms of his guitar.
Sorry, I can't compare them at this point, since I haven't seen the final Baggs product. I got a demo of a prototype, not any extensive hands-on experience with the packaged version. I do know that ToneDexter works great, and I've used it a lot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification