The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-26-2019, 06:32 PM

Default Studio electrical wiring

Not directly related to recording acoustic guitar, but I finally got some monitor speakers for my small home studio (Presonus Eris E5 fwiw), and when I plugged them in, the noise induced in them from all the other computer equipment on the same outlet was horrible.

It's an old house--like ungrounded knob-and-tube wiring old. Only two outlets in the room, on the same circuit, already handling a bunch of gear: computer, monitor, printer, external drives, router, computer speakers, humidifier and humidistat. What a racket!

For now, problem solved by running an extension cord from another room (outlet on same circuit). Peace and quiet.

Aside from the fact that the room needs more outlets anyway, are there any best practices for wiring a studio? Should I run a new circuit from the breaker box? Tips for what gets plugged in together? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-27-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Running a separate dedicated circuit from the breaker box will give you the cleanest power for your audio devices.

Less expensive solutions would include putting your computer equipment on a UPS (uninterruptable power supply). Unless you are using a laptop, you should have your computer connected to a UPS anyway to avoid file corruption or loss of unsaved work in the event of a sudden power outage. Connect your computer and monitor to the "battery backup" side and connect the printer to the "surge only" side.

To isolate your audio equipment further, you can try a good power conditioner from the likes of Furman, etc. I use a Torus power conditioner that provided better results than a high end Furman.

Good luck.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut

Last edited by Cocobolo Kid; 11-27-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
Less expensive solutions would include putting your computer equipment on a UPS (uninterruptable power supply). Unless you are using a laptop, you should have your computer connected to a UPS anyway to avoid file corruption or loss of unsaved work in the event of a sudden power outage. Connect your computer and monitor to the "battery backup" side and connect the printer to the "surge only" side.
Will a UPS isolate the noise of the computer equipment even if the audio gear is plugged into the other plug of the same outlet?
Old 11-27-2019, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
Running a separate dedicated circuit from the breaker box will give you the cleanest power for your audio devices.

To isolate your audio equipment further, you can try a good power conditioner from the likes of Furman, etc. I use a Torus power conditioner that provided better results than a high end Furman.

Good luck.
What model Torus are you using ? I was looking at some Furman to replace my old Monster here in the next year or so , but am now curious about the Torus

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-27-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
...computer, monitor, printer, external drives, router, computer speakers, humidifier and humidistat. What a racket!
I've found that modern PCs and monitors are pretty quiet relative to other devices. Whereas printers, routers and humidifiers tend to induce a lot of noise.

I'm with Cocobolo. Get a dedicated circuit (or two) and use the existing circuit for the non-music related gear. And definitely a UPS for the PC - they provide some filtering and partial isolation along with security from power dips.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD