The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-03-2019, 12:04 PM

Default Shure MV88+ or something else ?

Just read about this in technical section of a newspaper.

Anyone already tried it ?

Could apparently plug in Android or ios device.

Any comment/suggestion of another video mic for a lazy not too texhnical guy ?
Old 11-03-2019, 12:35 PM

I have the MV88. It is definitely an improvement over the internal mic in your phone. It's perfect for quick/easy set up.

But, an external mic -- even an inexpensive Shure 57 -- is probably going to provide better sound. But, you might need a preamp, mixer, interface, or something. That might require power.

I have not tried one of the USB or Lighting larger mics like those made by Apogee. I bet that would be a better choice as your phone provides the power and the mic should sound pretty good. But those are a bit more expensive than the MV88.

After messing around with my phone, and encountering issues with software, etc., I finally just went back to a digital handheld recorder with XLR inputs for microphones I already own. The internal mics are at least on par with the MV88, and I can use a Shure 57 or a nice condenser mic when I want.

Looking forward to other responses.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post

I haven't tried it, but I've heard good reports.

If you are trying to do video with minimal equipment, and a smartphone is your only video equipment, then that kind of solution is preferable to one that is fixed to the phone. One of my favorite dead horses is that the optimal placement for audio recording is almost never the same place as video recording, so anything that lets you get better mic placement, independent of the camera position, is going to improve your chances of a better sounding video.

I still prefer recording/mixing the audio separately and syncing to the video, but if your intent is to do it all on the phone and share from there, I'd probably go with something like the Shure.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:52 PM

Thanks guys !

I am not quite a whizz kid and I never used to make any mixing : I only record to sometimes share with some relatives and friends.

Placing the mic in front of the guitar (instead over the phone) is a good hint.
But, a user mentioned the mic wire to be quite short...

I had found some positive comments about the MV88 though.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:26 AM

Ooops !
Made some more readings...
May not work on as much iPads and IPhones as I wished...
Old 11-04-2019, 04:16 PM

I had one and took it back, it sounded okay but I had to remove the iPhone from the case to use it.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 11-04-2019, 04:47 PM

For a few bucks more you can get the Zoom Q2N-4K, much better buy in my opinion
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 11-04-2019, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post

Hi mawmow

The MV88 is specifically built for iPhone and iPad with lightning connectors. It's a great mic, and coupled with iPhone it's a great video maker.

If you check out YouTube, there are tons of videos made by songwriter types (and solo acoustic players as well as electric) using it with their phones.

Tons more options for recording over the Zoom Q2N-4K. You don't find many videos with acoustic guitar on this recorder…

I'm fascinated by the Shure MV88. What holds me back is the lack of ability to bridge the USB-C input on my iPadPro to lightning female of the microphone.

Perhaps the MV88 plus can manage it.

For lightning connector options, Zoom makes several models which are stereo and mid/side with lightning connectors and fit onto iPhone/iPad.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 11-06-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
…I'm tempted. What holds me back is the lack of ability to bridge the USB-C input on my iPadPro to lightning female of the microphone.
…Perhaps the MV88 plus can manage it.
Hi all

I've done some research on this, and the Shure MV88+ (plus) model is mini-usb input, and can work with SOME Android phones, but with the iPad Pro models (USB-C) it will not allow the user to access and change the mic settings. So you have to use a different device (iPhone) and set the settings in the mic, then hook it up to the iPad.

I'm hoping they will alter this. It's also twice as expensive ($250 vs $129 in Nov 2019) for the plus model. It also doesn't rotate/pivot like the original, but instead mounts on a phone clip with a traditional camera-flash-fitting (included) and uses a cable to hook to the mic.

I've heard some music recorded with it, and it sounds great (Mary Spender has a video where she compared it in-studio to a matched pair of AKG 414 and the engineer was impressed). Certainly seems like a good creator tool coupled with phone which has a wide angle lens (you do need to be in somewhat close proximity to get best sound).

If Shure works the kinks out for accessing the mic directly from my iPad this looks promising. I hold out hope, because at some point it seems Apple will have to cave and go USB-C with phones like it has with iPad Pro models. Then Shure will either face designing a new model, or fixing the access on the existing one.

If you are not worried about connectors, then the original version is selling for $130, and is a great option.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-06-2019, 12:23 PM

I have the IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio, which is similar, but also has provisions for connecting to PC, Android, etc. It has worked quite well for me - both with my old iPhone (6) and my older iPad (air). I would expect the Shure would be similarly useful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD