The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-23-2019, 11:39 PM

Default Two guitar signals, one input possible?

Hello everyone,

Long story short I have a Taylor guitar with two pickups in it, the lr baggs lyric and the expression system 1. I would like to be able to combine both signals to one input so that I can mix in some of each pickup. Is this possible?

Right now the pickups are set up such that it sends a stereo signal with one pickup on each side if I plug into the end pin.

I would appreciate any thoughts here!
Old 01-24-2019, 03:39 AM

You need a twin channel preamp / blender - here's a list courtesy of "Buzzardwhiskey"

D-TAR Solstice (Gain and EQ on both channels)
Grace Design Felix (Gain and EQ on both channels)
Headway EDB-2 (Gain on both channels, EQ only on summation)
K&K Dual Channel Pro (Uses one TRS, Gain only on both channels)
K&K Quantum Blender (Gain and EQ on both channels)
LR Baggs Mixpro (Uses one TRS, Gain on both channels, adjustable low cut on the ring side, No XLR out)
Pick Up The World Stereo Power Plug Blender Preamp (Gain only on both channels)
Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre (Gain on both channels, EQ only on summation)
Red Eye Twin (Gain and "simple tone control" on both channels)
Sound Devices MixPre-D (Gain only on both channels)
UltraSound DI Max Stereo (Gain and EQ on both channels)

The original thread is here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=394253

From personal experience, the Grace Design Felix is a fabulous piece of kit - and if you can find a good used one, so is the D-Tar Solstice.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 01-24-2019, 04:19 AM

Can I add to this useful list the excellent Bose T1 Tonematch which gives you 4 channels, individual gain + EQ on all, phantom power and a bunch of decent quality FX too. As it is now discontinued and stocks are being sold off it is also cheaper than several of the above new (I bought one before Christmas).

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 01-24-2019, 07:21 AM

Yes to the Bose T1 as well.

I am very happy with it.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot1405 View Post
Hello everyone,

Long story short I have a Taylor guitar with two pickups in it, the lr baggs lyric and the expression system 1. I would like to be able to combine both signals to one input so that I can mix in some of each pickup. Is this possible?

Right now the pickups are set up such that it sends a stereo signal with one pickup on each side if I plug into the end pin.

I would appreciate any thoughts here!
H 1shot

I've seen people do this with a mixer and I've seen it done in 2 channel preamps.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-24-2019, 11:19 AM

Thanks all for the responses.

What I was hoping to get was just one cable going from the guitar to the mixer with the ability to mix with the guitar controls.

My assumption is that this is not possible?
Old 01-24-2019, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot1405 View Post
Thanks all for the responses.

What I was hoping to get was just one cable going from the guitar to the mixer with the ability to mix with the guitar controls.

My assumption is that this is not possible?
Hi 1shot…
It may very well be.

If you have two pickup systems in the guitar, then even if you can route both independtly out via a TRS (stereo ¼") cable, then your mixer or preamp has to be able to split that on input.

One limitation of my 2 channel preamps is they are all TRS (stereo) in, with separate controls, yet they gang the output to mono. So you can mix both sources in the preamp, but the output is mono.

If you are ok with that, there are many reasonably priced options ($300-500). If you expect to go stereo in and stereo out (to PA), then a mixer is probably set up best for the output, but probably won't have the TRS input. I have not researched mixers lately to see if that function appears.

I have one friend who was running TRS out of the guitar, but then he split to 2 shielded mono ¼" cables (a custom made Y cable) so he could maintain stereo in/out all the way to a pair of stage amps and to the PA board.

My Raven PMB I and II preamps both have a TRS (stereo cable) input, or double mono ¼" inputs, which will allow me to mix channels separately, but only mono ¼" and/or XLR out. It also supplies selectable phantom power (+9V) to an internal microphone.

My DTAR Solstice has the same inputs, plus dual XLR inputs, and it has single channel (mono) ¼" output, single XLR output and/or Separate Ch.1 & Ch.2 XLR outputs. It also supplies selectable phantom power to internal mics (+15V)

These are great options and both can only be had USED for between $250-350 each.

The Grace Felix preamp does it all. It's $1025 new. Have not yet seen one used…

Hope this helps

What you propose IS doable, it may require some thinking about it, and planning for it.

[size]

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-24-2019, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Great suggestions! I do this w/my Grace Felix, TRS from guitar to Felix (channel) and that splits to allow separate eq, gain, and blend, however, it is expensive
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 01-25-2019, 05:15 PM

Another odd shot, just to throw out there, I have an Anderson Crowdster plus and 2+, both have trs outputs , which I run a trs cable into a splitter box to run an acoustic side and electric side. I know this is a different scenario, but wonder if some acoustic pickups might run better with one trs cable though a trs output jack with dual pickups.
Anderson Crowdster Plus
Anderson Crowdster 2+
Takamine EF-360S

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification