The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2019, 05:03 AM

Question AudioTechnica Pro 70?

Anyone using the audio technica pro 70 on acoustic guitar either blended with a pickup or on its own, if so any thoughts?
Rob(uk)
Old 01-21-2019, 09:00 AM

I had one for a while years ago and gigged with it a few times on a classical/flamenco guitar. But preferred other solutions.

Pros-
OK natural sound (although not nearly as good as 'real' mic on a stand).
Cheap
Removable

Cons-
Low gain before feedback - OK in quiet environments, hopeless in noisy ones
Fiddly little cable, which is not ideal if you have it just hanging there, as opposed to taping it to the guitar so that it drops off where a jack socket would normally.
I found the attached preamp a bit of a pain too. No really designed for heavy floor use.
Limited options for placement/direction

So it depends on usage really. Best used with something else IMO but see my point about dangly cables - i hate having something dangling from the soundhole *and* the jack socket, especially if standing.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 01-21-2019, 07:21 PM

Good for louder instruments like those nasss-ty little accordionses. Easy enough to attach to an accordion, cheap enough so you don't really mind if you have to throw him off a bridge.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification