The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-06-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Yes I forgot to record with just the mic sorry. I will do that in my summary video.

I will cover preamps including tone dexter later. I’m unable to get the correct blend for now and am finding I prefer the Ultra Tonic by itself.

I didn’t have a problem with sending James the gutiar. I thought it was cool to have him do it. Feedback has been non existent and body sounds are good. It also works with all wireless systems as it’s passive.

The preamp testing may give me a final answer but I have no problem recommending the Ultra Tonic to people that want a passive system. Thanks for all the comments and watch out for more soon. Please subscribe and share for me.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Yeah, the Schatten design, I think, is a single piezo on the top rail of the three-footed pickup-truss that mounts to the bridgeplate. Strange that K&K would get bent over this design. If anyone could have a beef with anything piezo it could have been Barcus-Berry for being one of the first companies to market a piezo transducer. I still have a wooden-housed one, along with the grey preamp box somewhere out in the garage. I wonder if it all still works being over 40 years old and abused by extreme temperature/humidity conditions?
My first experience with Schatten was their bouzouki pickup, which is exactly the same design as the HFN but without the base. You simply attach the flat pickup that's on top of the base to the bridge of the bouzouki. I thought it sounded amazing but I disliked the end pin set up which attached to the tailpiece. It just never made me feel confident.

Funnily enough, I remember around that time (this was a good 7-8 years ago), I suggested on here or it might have been over at TGP, that the pickup being placed on the backside of the bridge/saddle that Schatten used for their bouzouki models; should be tried on guitar. It just sounded so mic-like. I however did not know how to accomplish this since there's no clearance once a saddle is in place. I think at one time I even thought of getting a thin pickup like something from B-Band or PUTW to place behind the saddle. Next thing I know, Taylor figures it out and releases the ES2.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:19 PM

I'm in the process of getting a 2014 Bourgeois Adi/Hog slope-shoulder dread and I'm really torn about which pickup to put in it. It's my first and only boutique guitar and I don't want to do anything that's gonna mess it up. Time to start watching these reviews!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-06-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I'm in the process of getting a 2014 Bourgeois Adi/Hog slope-shoulder dread and I'm really torn about which pickup to put in it. It's my first and only boutique guitar and I don't want to do anything that's gonna mess it up. Time to start watching these reviews!
I would suggest the Amulet M or Schatten HFN. I installed both on my own and you would never know I did anything. The Amulet M ultimately wasn't for me (I think it was just a bad match for my bright Taylor) but I still highly recommend it.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:07 PM

AeroUSA, I am wondering how you are liking the Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend now that you have had a chance to try it out more?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

It didn’t really work out for me. The first gig was incredible but then I got feedback issues. I’m currently using the Anthem as I gig a lot. I am interested to see if NAMM brings anything new to the table.

I can not fault the Anthem for plugged in sound but it does impact the guitar acoustically. It’s totally worth it though. I will probably just use that guitar for plugging in and then get another pure acoustic for other stuff.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
It didn’t really work out for me. The first gig was incredible but then I got feedback issues. I’m currently using the Anthem as I gig a lot. I am interested to see if NAMM brings anything new to the table.

I can not fault the Anthem for plugged in sound but it does impact the guitar acoustically. It’s totally worth it though. I will probably just use that guitar for plugging in and then get another pure acoustic for other stuff.
Perfect, thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I remember when I had the original Matrix blend system, the mic become unusable in a live setting and I hardly ever had it blended in. The Anthem is great but like you, it did impact the acoustic tone of my guitar. I am actually coming back around to a simple Matrix + spectrum/tonedexter set up. I don't get the percussive tones but I never do that anyway.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

They have a mic sitting in the soundhole. It’s a disaster waiting to happen. I also don’t like that I can hear the matrix. The Anthem is such an amazing sounding pickup.

I did have success with an undersaddle and tone dexter before but the Anthem is truly plug and play and blows me away every time. I can’t say enough good things about it.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
They have a mic sitting in the soundhole. It’s a disaster waiting to happen. I also don’t like that I can hear the matrix. The Anthem is such an amazing sounding pickup.

I did have success with an undersaddle and tone dexter before but the Anthem is truly plug and play and blows me away every time. I can’t say enough good things about it.
Is it the full Anthem? I had the SL and unfortunately I could never dial out enough tru-mic. The tone was always hollow sounding. I wouldn't mind trying the full Anthem.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Yes full Anthem with mic gain on max and the blend around 90%. It’s wonderful.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Yes full Anthem with mic gain on max and the blend around 90%. It’s wonderful.
Not wonderful all the time, I've had the full Anthem in two dreads (still in one of them) and for low to medium volume they are alright but on big stages I've had feedback problems with both of them! My B-Band XOM 2.2 sound better to me and have higher gain before feedback!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Not wonderful all the time, I've had the full Anthem in two dreads (still in one of them) and for low to medium volume they are alright but on big stages I've had feedback problems with both of them! My B-Band XOM 2.2 sound better to me and have higher gain before feedback!
That's interesting. I never noticed that with the Anthem SL. Actually I have never had feedback with even the Amulet M or Lyric. I play in bars where there are typically four massive monitors on stage that are running hot. Maybe I would experience some feedback at an outdoor show but I would feel confident with the Anthem.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
The Bourgeois Slope is the one the most beautiful designs on the planet, IMO. And no doubt, as an Adi/Hog, its going to be a tone monster.

In this rapidly changing pickup environment, I highly recommend a pickup that you can uninstall down the road.

IMO, your best options are:

Under Saddle Based:

1) Baggs Anthem.

2) Open Source UST

Sound Board:

1) Trance Amulet Mono

2) Schatten HFN either active or passive.

All 4 sound good, are no fuss and are fully removable without messing with glue etc.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 01-21-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
8:10 -Thank you for lending an authoritative voice about the Emperor’s New Clothes, i.e., the much vaunted K&K pickup. I tried it and for a long time struggled to like it. I wanted to like it. Your analysis of its shortcomings, however, mirrored my experience.
For real. Some people love it, (shiiiiddd, some cats are almost fanatical) and I'm sure it sounds good in some guitars, but there's a weird midrange thing with it that I can't stand.

The Red-Eye Pre and Sunnaudio Stage DI help a little, but using the K&K for a trigger with a Tonedexter yielded much better results. As a stand alone pickup, I don't care for it at all.

The appeal of a non invasive pickup that doesn't weigh down the top enough to cause a change in tone, or create a barrier between the saddle and bridge is understandable.

I wonder if the OP has reviewed the Schatten HFN passive, Active, and/or Artist and what his take is. I'm also curious about the Dazzos, and James May's Ultra Tonic. EDIT: Watching the Ultra Tonic demo now.

So many options out there. I'd love to find something that was great as a stand alone if needed, and also worked with the Tonedexter in my main rig. I'm thinking about making a small grab & go board with either another Tonedexter or an HX Stomp (which can use profiles from my Tonedexter) and a Sunnaudio Stage DI.

Last edited by The Kid!; 02-03-2019 at 01:57 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification