The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-01-2019, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Acoustic Guitar Pickup Demos

Hi everyone,

I decided to create a short series on different acoustic guitar pickups. You guys probably know all of this but I thought I would post it for anyone that is interested. More videos to come soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apHq9AF1rWE

Last edited by AeroUSA; 01-01-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Wonderful video, thank you. Just subscribed to your channel and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. By the way, have you had an opportunity to hear or demo Dazzo pickups?
Old 01-02-2019, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Thanks! I have tried everything apart from Dazzo, Trance and the LB6. All of which are supposed to be great. I recently got the Fishman Infinity Blend and I love it for what I do.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:06 AM

GREAT information! Subscribed to your chanel!

Looking forward for the next episodes.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for subscribing it means a lot to me and I will have a lot of Acoustic Guitar videos coming and also NAMM demos etc.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:53 AM

Looking forward to the demos, especially the new Matrix Infinity Mic Blend which you're experimenting with now.

I noticed that the Martin VT Enhance system, which blends the Matrix Infinity UST with a soundboard pickup, isn't included in the list of manufacturer installed pickups. Has that one lost favor with you? Your demo video seemed pretty positive on that one.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Thanks! I have tried everything apart from Dazzo, Trance and the LB6. All of which are supposed to be great. I recently got the Fishman Infinity Blend and I love it for what I do.
I believe its called: Matrix Infinity Mic Blend.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-02-2019, 12:04 PM

Excellent video, thanks! I just wanted to ask you a bit more about the Fishman Matrix Infinity mic blend system. I have been interested in this for a main gigging guitar.

Anyway, I know you were big on the Tonedexter and then the Anthem. What is it about the Fishman system that you like more? I have to admit that in demos, the Infinity mic blend doesn't sound as natural as the TD or Anthem but it does seem to have more flexibility. I used to own the original Matrix blend system with the gooseneck mic and I didn't really like it all that much so I think that's making me skeptical but I know this is a completely new design. By the way, how much mic blend do you use?

Also, I believe when the system first came out Fishman recommended installing the mic at the back of the sound hole, facing towards the neck. However, they very quickly switched to putting it at the bottom of the sound hole, a bit to the left (closer to the neck). Just wondering where you have yours?
Old 01-02-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for your interest, part 2 is live now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=624wUnur8xE

I will demo ALL of these pickups and give a summary at the end but so far I like the Fishman blend because it sounds better than the enhance with longer battery life and it is a true plug and play system. I am surprised that more people have not tried this system out yet, it's really great so far (two gigs down).

Keep watching and you will see all of my findings over the coming week. Please subscribe to my channel and share the videos with your guitar playing friends!
Old 01-02-2019, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

I have also added timestamp markers so that you can easily compare the sounds in the video. Please use headphones!
Old 01-02-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Thank you for your interest, part 2 is live now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=624wUnur8xE

I will demo ALL of these pickups and give a summary at the end but so far I like the Fishman blend because it sounds better than the enhance with longer battery life and it is a true plug and play system. I am surprised that more people have not tried this system out yet, it's really great so far (two gigs down).

Keep watching and you will see all of my findings over the coming week. Please subscribe to my channel and share the videos with your guitar playing friends!
Thanks Aaron for these videos.
The Anthem sounds really good in your presentation but I'll wait for the Fishman Blend demo which from what I heard so far is very impressive too.
I also like that you just do simple strumming to show the pickups not some gimmicky techniques.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Aaron,

K&K makes a popular combo pickup/mike called the K&K Trinity Pro System, which appears to be similar to the Baggs Anthem and the Fishman Matrix Infinity. Will you be demo-ing the K&K also?
Old 01-03-2019, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

I will demo the Ultra Tonic which is a great K&K alternative. I don’t have the Trinity system. I will add to the videos in the future but for now I will just have the systems that I own and have experience with.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:10 AM

Thank you, Aaron. What makes your reviews so valuable is that fact that you're actually out gigging regularly. Two things I have learned through the long and rather expensive journey of finding a system I can live with: 1) What sounds good at home when recording or auditioning through headphones does not necessarily translate into a good gigging system, no matter how true to the instrument. 2) "My guitar but louder" is not my highest goal when playing in public, particularly when with a group of other musicians. For me, musicality, responsiveness, and simplicity are among the priorities.

So, thanks again for your insights, especially regarding your real life experiences with the various systems.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:56 AM

Default Best sound hole pickup please:))

I am fortunate to have a number of vintage guitars that I love to play live with a good mic and just wondering if you have any recommendations for a sound hole, no brain damage solution, pickup that sounds great?
Great videos and valued information!
Peace,
Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification