The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-17-2016, 10:22 PM

Default Post trip review OF660

I've completed a 3.5 week long trip from Australia to the USA and back again with quite a few stops along the way. This sort of use was one of the main reasons I bought the OF660 and wanted to report my views now that I've had it for six months.

Very happy with the purchase. It's everything I hoped it would be. Very much enjoy the sound unplugged.

We flew first to Hawaii, a friend had voiced concerns about getting the guitar through the security checks at boarding. It went through security 11 times in the trip and was never questioned. We were upgraded to TSA pre-check at some stage as well (whatever that means). I carried the spare strings separately.

I performed an open mic in Hawaii and it sounded good amplified through the PA system there. Better than it does through my own AER amp.

It was nice being able to sit in the departure lounge, waiting for endless hours, and passed the time noodling away on my Journey. I play a soft fingerstyle so I'm confident it wasn't any issue for the others in the departure lounge although I did choose a quiet corner where possible.

I also took along a Vox headphone amp, my own pre-amp and a blue tooth speaker. I performed to family and friends along Route 66 in Santa Monica with quite a lot of ambient noise. This setup provided the extra volume I needed yet didn't add a lot of weight and it fit into the Journey case quite easily. I did notice that several times my capo and tuner moved onto the top of the guitar while I was carrying it around, so care needs to be taken as to what is in the main case and what's in the side pockets. Never did these items scratch the guitar so no big problem.

I'm also quite pleased with the case. I normally travel with a good sized back pack and stuff way too much extra in there. With the OF660 taking up most of the space, it forced me to take only the essentials and I have to say I'm quite happy with the case.

One problem I keep having with the OF660 is the durability of the bone saddles. Two of them now have a ridge on the B string that keeps it pushed a bit to the side. My advice is to buy extras of these. I've got several on order from the local distributor. The first one was replaced under warranty but that's only good for a month or so.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with my Journey. It made it easy for me to take my music with me and share it with family and friends. No extra luggage charges, no concerns about how it was treated because I was always the one carrying it. And a great sounding guitar for the sort of music I play.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the review, tonyo!
Old 12-20-2016, 09:47 AM

Glad to hear the guitar is working so well for you.

tlj

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber