The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-10-2016, 02:40 AM

A wonderful sequence of events ends with a new beginning.
Play your passion Jim, and have a great trip.
PS; You know you'll have to take the shorty along just in case a playing partner shows up.

CONGRATULATIONS
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 05-10-2016, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Can you comment on the tone? Thinking about a 7 or a 20....thanks
Hi John,

I understand the concern. I have no hands-on with an x20, so I can't give you impressions of that or offer a comparison. I watched a bunch of videos and asked a lot of questions from the good folks here as I considered the X7.

Since my hands-on experience with the X7 is currently measured in single digit hours, I can offer my first impressions of the tone:

It sounds like... a guitar. No, I am not being flip. It is a small guitar - others here have described it as 3/4 size, and I think that is fair. That is what I was looking for. It doesn't sound "small," but I wouldn't describe it as a loud guitar acoustically. Plenty of projection for the size, and I would say it sounds warmer than I expected. A lot of small guitars sound thin, almost toy-like - this doesn't. Tone is like beauty (in the eyes of the beholder), and maybe a bit hard for me to describe without making comparisons to other guitars.

In the past, I have described my Shorty as "piano-like" in a good way. This X7 has good note separation, but (to my ears) seems less bright than either my GSmini (spruce top) or the Shorty. Not as woody or warm as my 522 12-fret.

It has its own voice; one that sounds good to my ears.

I play plugged in a lot. The amplified sound is a very pleasant surprise. This is my first experience with the B-Band pick-up, and it seems to be a very good compliment to this guitar.

I would like to play an X20 sometime, as I am sure it would be a world apart - they are very different size guitars. These days, I am enjoying my smaller guitars, and this X7 fits in nicely.

Hope that helps,
Jim
Old 05-10-2016, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
A wonderful sequence of events ends with a new beginning.
Play your passion Jim, and have a great trip.
PS; You know you'll have to take the shorty along just in case a playing partner shows up.

CONGRATULATIONS
Thanks. This next outing is for a 3 month seasonal contract, but will allow me some playing time most days. There should be some time for "wandering" before and after.

When I pulled the gig bag out of the box, then the guitar out of the gig bag, my wife said, "With that size, we can probably find room for another guitar on this trip, if you want."

Does that sound like she wants me to get another guitar?

Jim
Old 05-10-2016, 07:10 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Thanks. This next outing is for a 3 month seasonal contract, but will allow me some playing time most days. There should be some time for "wandering" before and after.

When I pulled the gig bag out of the box, then the guitar out of the gig bag, my wife said, "With that size, we can probably find room for another guitar on this trip, if you want."

Does that sound like she wants me to get another guitar?

Jim
There ya go! Order an X20 in cocobolo. Ya know ya waaaaana!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:22 AM

Captain,

I also have an Emerald X7 (with green top), to go along with my RainSong Shorty SG-FLE.

They are kept company by my Amber colored Emerald X20 Opus (with custom 24.75" scale).

Each of the three have their own tone and feel, and I very much enjoy each one.

Enjoy your new X7 !

Regards,

Jim K
Old 05-10-2016, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K View Post
Captain,

I also have an Emerald X7 (with green top), to go along with my RainSong Shorty SG-FLE.

They are kept company by my Amber colored Emerald X20 Opus (with custom 24.75" scale).

Each of the three have their own tone and feel, and I very much enjoy each one.

Enjoy your new X7 !

Regards,

Jim K
Ah, Jim, you would be in a better position to answer John's tone question, since you have an X7 and an X20. And, I have to compliment your good taste with the Shorty SG-FLE... I do like my sharks.

The other Jim
Old 05-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

I told Sean from Emerald that I would send a couple photos showing the X7 in our environment. So, off to the beach today...

Sunny, warm, and humid - my carbon fiber guitars are just fine with that.

I have to give the company we'll be working for this summer an image for the "Meet the staff" portion of their website. I'm thinking one of these will be more fun than one like this...

I've been asked about my impressions of the X7... I think I've come up with an accurate description: fun size!

Jim
Old 05-11-2016, 01:59 PM

Darn it Captain Jim...Your pictures make me want to stowaway on your boat!!!

If I bring my X20, will that keep me from being keelhauled when caught?
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 05-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Darn it Captain Jim...Your pictures make me want to stowaway on your boat!!!

If I bring my X20, will that keep me from being keelhauled when caught?
It has been a long time since I've keelhauled anyone... makes for a lot of paperwork.

Next month, we'll be in the Pacific Northwest; shorts and barefoot will be a memory. Sure is pretty, though. The views will change to this...

By all means, bring the X20 - I have never seen one in the flesh.

Jim
Old 05-15-2016, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

It has been almost a week now with the X7. The D'addario strings have "mellowed". I almost changed them out right away. I tried some out on my GSmini and went through the same: "Oh, that seems almost harsh" to being OK with them. "Being OK" isn't as good as "Oh, that's great!" I keep coming back to Elixirs on my RainSong (and Taylors).

I have a set of PB 80/20s that will go on the X7 before long.

The one week review: I like it. A lot. I am not a "playing on the couch" kinda guy, but it is comfortable for that. I am mostly a picker and strummer - the X7 handles that just fine, even when you "dig in." The B-Band A3T pickup sounds really good plugged in. (through a Bose and Fishman LBM)

The guitar is light and ergonomically comfortable... I find myself being a "wandering minstrel" around the house. The only thing about the guitar that feels small is the headstock. The neck is full with good access. I really like the 24" scale. My picking hand falls naturally to the middle of the soundboard - it sounds good, but my eyes wonder about that off-set soundhole, since I have spent decades moving forward or back on the strings to get subtle changes in the tone. That technique works fine with this guitar, too. The fit and workmanship are excellent. It is a visual delight to be able to see the carbon fiber weave. The combination of the glossy top and Crystal Ice back and sides looks sharp.

The sound is balanced. I may have said this before, but I thought it might sound "thin" because of the small size - that isn't the case. I wouldn't describe it as "a cannon," but it has plenty of bass, mids, and highs. And plenty of volume. It isn't as loud as my bigger body guitars, but certainly isn't meek.

It is my "fun size" guitar, but will be fine for playing out, too.

Jim
Old 05-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the report Captain! You got the gas flowing....
Old 05-16-2016, 10:19 AM

Captain,

My X7 likes Elixir 80/20 Nanoweb light gauge, . . . and often get a set of Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb light gauge when I want a slight increase in string tension over the 80/20 Elixirs.

Regards,
Jim K
Old 05-21-2016, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Twelve days now with the X7. I am not a big fan of the D'Addario strings that come on it from the factory, but I like to get a feel for the factory set up. As long as I'm changing strings today, I decided to sand down the saddle for a little lower action. I generally like to have a second saddle, just in case. I don't have one for the X7, so I made sure to not "over-do" the lowering.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2016/05...on-set-up.html

The kitchen island makes a good guitar workbench, and it helps to have a competent assistant...

The results: it makes a nice guitar even better (for me) - plays easier and I like the "zing" with the Elixirs! The neck didn't need any tweaking. No buzz, great tone. Same gauge as the D'Addarios. More punch.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Getting close to departure day for us. The guitar room is looking a bit empty as I case 'em up. I took the time to get a shot of the RainSong Shorty and X7 hanging together for a size comparison...

The neck lengths are quite close (24.875" on the Shorty, 24" on the X7); the real difference is in the body and headstock.

Maybe it was the heavy sighing from me, but the Blonde said, "You can bring more than one, if you want."

Decisions, decisions.

She also said, "Play some of the others before you put them away." When I switched from the X7 to the Taylor 522ce 12-fret (all mahogany), she said, "Oh, that one has a lot of bass!"

Yep.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:52 PM

I am intrigued by the thought of taking a small CF guitar on one of our kayak camping trips. The X7 is a candidate.

I try to make sure most everything I take along serves two purposes. There's limited space for hauling gear on a 9 1/2 foot boat. For instance, I break the paddle down to support a tarp to sit under when it's raining, and the PFD makes a decent pillow. Still looking for the second use for a CF guitar ... maybe an expedient table for prepping food. We'll see.

But now two ways to use a beercan huggie! I like your style, Jim.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber