The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-26-2015, 04:58 PM

Default best all around mircrophone help.

Hello. I have never purchased a microphone. I was wondering what people would recmmed? I would like a microphone to capture the actual acoustic guitar, and the differences in the wood of each guitar. Just basically a microphone that will turn the natural acoustic and provide more volume. I do not need any "coloring" in sound. Also my amp is a line 6 l3t. I do not think it has phantom power. I was also thinking about buying the tc helicon play acoustic pedal along with a suggested Mic. Any experience with the tc helicon? I would love to eventually be able to play while my g/f sings. Let me know your thoughts.
Taylor 2016 Mahogany 12-Fret GA
Taylor 2016 Koa GS Mini
Old 03-27-2015, 07:44 AM

Is this for playing gigs, or just home use? I believe you are correct that the L6 does not have phantom power, so that limits your choices.
The TC Play-Acoustic only has 1 mic preamp so you would need to use a separate mic preamp for the guitar mic if you went that route - it's really made for someone using a pickup system in thier guitar.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-27-2015, 08:52 AM

Wow. All that circuitry and no phantom power. What were they thinking?

You could always get an small external phantom supply.

What's this rig for?

Asking for a mic to add more volume is usually asking for feedback trouble. Direct pickups win the day there.

To that end, I like K&K mini pickups, especially for finger style.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 03-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

When asking for mic recommendations one should always list a price range. Otherwise you'll get several recommendations for outstanding microphones that you would need to secure a bank loan to purchase [$$$$]

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 03-27-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
When asking for mic recommendations one should always list a price range. Otherwise you'll get several recommendations for outstanding microphones that you would need to secure a bank loan to purchase [$$$$]
Bank loan????…………mmm………………..didn't think of that! Thanks, Ed!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10304cpg View Post
Hello. I have never purchased a microphone. I was wondering what people would recmmed? I would like a microphone to capture the actual acoustic guitar, and the differences in the wood of each guitar. Just basically a microphone that will turn the natural acoustic and provide more volume. I do not need any "coloring" in sound. Also my amp is a line 6 l3t. I do not think it has phantom power. I was also thinking about buying the tc helicon play acoustic pedal along with a suggested Mic. Any experience with the tc helicon? I would love to eventually be able to play while my g/f sings. Let me know your thoughts.
So 10304, I'm guessing you like Taylor guitars? (lol). For capturing just the "real tone" of an acoustic guitar I'd recommend a small diaphragm condenser mic. I have a matched pair of old AKG 451s that are very "true" and even now this model is reasonably priced. With a pair I can do X/Y, ORTF, and spaced pair configurations.
Good luck with your search.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I think you may be disappointed with any mic you purchase if you expect it to deliver the same sound you hear when you play your guitar. There are many reasons for this but is simply the nature of recording and transduction (conversion of one form of energy to another, like a mic or speaker must do).

With that in mind, and assuming a moderate budget, there are a few mics available that are condenser technology (greater sensitivity and wider frequency response) and self-powered (work without phantom). The Rode NT3 is one, AKG C1000S is another. If budget is not an issue, the Schoeps CMBI mic amp can be used with any of the Colette series capsules.

Dynamic mics do not require powering of any kind but the reduced sensitivity demands more from your preamp, and the least colored dynamics have even lower sensitivity, they trade output for linearity. However they are less costly and may in fact deliver the performance you seek. In that case the Shure Beta 57 might meet your needs.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 03-27-2015, 02:22 PM

Thanks for all the input. I know I was bummed about the l3t. It is a great system,sounds great and was marketed as the solo acoustic artist package. Assumed a microphone would be no problem, then people told me about phantom power. I will listen to the suggestions. My budget would prob be no more then 400.
Taylor 2016 Mahogany 12-Fret GA
Taylor 2016 Koa GS Mini
Old 04-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Have you considered the K&K Meridian Pro? I just picked one up for under $300, and I'm rather impressed so far. Nicely captures the tone of my guitar, although it exaggerates string noise (something to consider if you slide a lot).
Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. I know I was bummed about the l3t. It is a great system,sounds great and was marketed as the solo acoustic artist package. Assumed a microphone would be no problem, then people told me about phantom power. I will listen to the suggestions. My budget would prob be no more then 400.
In that price range and with out having to facilitate phantom power you might look at the Heil line of dynamics. Said to be some of the best dynamics out there.

http://www.heilsound.com/pro/products/all-products

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-06-2015, 10:59 AM

[QUOTE=KevWind;4439621]I have some Heil mics. I am pretty pleased with the PR35 for a dynamic.
But have you considered a clip on? I also have a DPA 4099G, and it has a pretty decent sound. You can always expand your choice beyond dynamics by providing phantom with an inexpensive add on box.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD