The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-12-2012, 02:50 PM

Default '71 Hummingbird Repair

I bought this lovely guitar about 10 years ago, play it every day, and absolutely love it but for the fact that the previous owner installed a mini-flex mic with the jack approximately 2 inches below the endpin. I don't care at all for the amplified sound of the guitar (at least with this setup) and am seeking advice. Is some sort of veneer patch a(n) possible/impossible/great/foolish idea? Any other suggestions? Thanks, much.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:04 PM

How about switching it out with a K&K pure mini. You could do it yourself, it would cost you less than the repair and you guitar would then have an excellent amplified sound.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 AM

Thanks, Tim. I might give that a try. I just hate having that extra hole in the guitar! I don't know why someone would have done it. I have trouble handling an enlarged end pin hole!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:04 PM

How large are the two holes? The jack hole (the one 2" down) should be 15/32 or 1/2" and should be able to be re-used (I wouldn't like it there either) but if it is reinforced and stable at least you wouldn't need to patch or have an open hole. That's if I'm following exactly what you're saying.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:16 AM

You've got it right. The jack hole is a standard guitar cable size and even though it doesn't seem to be reinforced, it seems stable and probably could be reused (I've only plugged it in a few times over the years). I've been tempted to try the K & K mini in something, given all the positive comments I read about it. Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair