The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-28-2020, 05:57 AM

Default Unabomber Documentary On Reelz...

I found it to be quite a work. Tons of old footage, pictures, videos, News cast's and such.

You really never know about people, but I have to wonder about the testing done on him at Harvard at such a young age, and even the "grade jumping" that put him there.

My wife once said "Hind sight's 50/50..."

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-28-2020, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

We built our own house on the back side of this old farm.
We moved there before the house could be lived in. We
stayed this 12x12 "prototype house" for a while at first,
we had a travel trailer for a kitchen and a bathroom hooked
up down at the house site. They caught up with the unabomber the
same day, or near the same day, that we moved out there.
To this day we refer to the prototype house as The KC...

-Mike "the Kaczynski Cabin"
Old 01-28-2020, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

I found it to be amazing at how well the FBI psychologists had described him from his manifesto writings. They had so many things nailed down so accurately - really incredibly impressive.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-28-2020, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

It's been reported that his social skills were a bit off even as a Harvard freshman living in housing reserved for other "precocious" students <18. Not to mitigate the affects of the psychological testing but I have to wonder if other mental health issues were part of his makeup prior to college. As far as we know, the invasive psychological studies only produced one person with the requisite intellect and antisocial makeup to do what Kacsinzki did. My point is that perhaps his mental makeup provided a petri dish of sorts to where intellect and antisocial qualities combined and multiplied to produce the Unabomber.

This thread got me thinking and reading about Ted Kaczynski, and according to his brother, abandonment was a huge and ongoing issue throughout his life. Some might question his retreat to the wilderness if he had a fear of abandonment, but it actually makes sense that he might want to distance himself from people before they abandoned him.

Fear of abandonment is a central theme for those with Borderline Personality Disorder. While we often see this diagnosis more often in females, I think that there are probably many Borderline males but are misdiagnosed as antisocial or sociopathic because they come to the attention of authorities because of aggressive behavior toward others and not self-injurious behavior.

Borderline personality disorder in men is often overlooked and brushed off with a recommendation for an anger management class. Men tend to externalize behaviors like aggression, violent patterns and antisocial traits, including heavier substance use than women.

Sometimes these externalized behaviors are misdiagnosed as antisocial personality disorder, anger management problems or something else. Ironically, people with BPD complain of feeling misunderstood and in reality, they are being misunderstood and misdiagnosed.

Here are some ways BPD manifests in men:

Sensitive to criticism while responding with aggression
Controlling through criticism
Holding grudges
Fear of rejection played out in jealousy and using sex to alleviate his feelings of rejection
Rejecting relationships – when he’s been offended by someone, he hates them; he sees people in good or bad absolutes
Jealous or possessive insecurities, but emotionally detached from relationships
Using alcohol or drugs to relieve his constant free-floating anxiety

Keep in mind that a legitimate diagnosis doesn't require that the patient show all characteristics...

Last edited by RP; 02-08-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:59 PM

I'm not completely sure David Kaczynski was all there either, but chaneled his inner demons in other less hostile ways

https://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/the-last-refuge/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic