The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-29-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post

We can only hope. They’re certainly a team that has had great chemistry amongst players, coaching staff, etc. for many years. And, I agree that Belicheck is a great coach (although he possesses just a shade more personality than a corpse), and Brady is an elite QB for sure. But I’m with you. Enough already.

While I wouldn’t consider myself a “hater”, I’ve never been a fan. It seems that the writing is on the wall for this dynasty. Maybe they’ll pull out another season, but another 2-3...no chance.
Who cares? They have 6 already. Let's see any other team in the next 50 years get 6 in 20 years.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-29-2019, 10:56 PM

+1. I'm a lifelong Patriots, Red Sox and Bruins fan. I remember sitting through that 1-15 season back in '90 or '91. But because you wear that patch on your arm you still watch and support the team. I also remember watching the Bears/Pats Superbowl as well in '86. 46-10 IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
As a diehard Pats fan and just didn't get on the bandwagon as I've followed since the Eason and Grogan when they first got trounced in the Superbowl by the Bears, this season is what it is.

Keep in mind that only one team in the history of the league has been to four straight Superbowls, and they never won one. For the Pats to make it to four in a row, this year, after winning multiple, and after a nearly two decade long run, would be one of the most insane things ever done in the history of all sports.

And the Pats have NOT been the favorite to get to the Superbowl many, many times. The Pats have been in wildcard weekends too.

In its entirety, I'm not really disappointed if they don't get to the Superbowl this year. I am a little disappointed that we didn't get any offensive weapons for Brady and kind of screwed him over a bit.

You can't win it every year.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:09 PM

Quite frankly, I'm tired of all the debate about New England. I'm not hating, just fatigued. There's definitely going to be a changing of the guard. I only hope that there's not another dynasty in waiting because that would just be ridiculous.

That being said, I'm a Steelers fan but not a lifelong one. I'm just a homer. With that said, this season has been an embarrassment - but not nearly as embarrassing as last season. I will say that they completely choked these last two weeks though.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
The Patriots are done. Brady's hair is falling out. Moths are eating Belichick's hoodie.

I wish I had a dollar every time I heard this. Of course if you say this year after year, then one year you’ll be right. Did you also know that the moon affects the rise of tides?
Old 12-30-2019, 02:18 AM

"Time beats everybody. It's undefeated."-Rocky Balboa
Old 12-30-2019, 06:57 AM

Wow, the Pats haters are out in full force.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Who cares? They have 6 already. Let's see any other team in the next 50 years get 6 in 20 years.
Ummmm...ever heard of the Steelers? And you’re right, no one really cares...except Pats fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I’ve always been amused at Pats fans sensitivity. Anyone who doesn’t care for the Pats are “haters”. Heaven forbid anyone have a preference for another team, and dislike your team.

People are entitled to their opinions. It’s not that serious folks. We’re talking about a game.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 12-30-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How is it that acknowledging the Pats have had the greatest run in NFL history, have the best coach in NFL history, and among the best quarterbacks in NFL history makes someone a Pats hater?

I understand that if you're a long time New England dweller who was there through the lean years and who's been riding this wave with them for nearly 20 years (TWENTY YEARS!) you'd still be a fan. It almost never happens - you can maybe point to the Yankees over the years, the Celtics during the Auerbach years, UCLA during Wooden as comparable, but even the justly revered Vince Lombardi would be in awe of what the Pats have done. Maybe they should rename it the Belichek trophy after he retires... So I get why you're a fan - I would be too.

But surely you must understand why fans of the many other fine franchises out there, even while respecting fully what the Patriots have done, would be righteously sick and tired of seeing them continue to do it and anxiously await the fall of the current empire... If they're NOT your team, and they're obviously NOT the team of the vast majority of football fans, you'd be sick of them too. The story line in the NFL has been boringly predictable lately. One of these years father time is gonna finally take his full toll on Tom's miraculously maintained youth and the NFL will be more fun for "the rest of us" than it has been over the past many years. That's not HATING anyone, it's just being sick of the team that's effectively been the bully of the league for a loooooong time.

I'm a Philly guy, but I'm lucky enough to spend winters down in North Carolina near one of our daughters, and I was down here two years ago when the Eagles pulled out a Super Bowl win, FINALLY JUST ONE SINGLE SUPER BOWL WIN (after decades of futility despite some great teams). You can't imagine how that felt unless you were old enough to have experienced the same futility with the Pats and then that first one over the Rams probably felt about the same. Jeez, I enjoyed seeing the Pats emerge - the young team finally overtaking the older superpowers in the game and putting their stamp on it. They were great, it was exciting. I was happy for them and for all of their fans even though I was a Vermeil fan (see, "Philly guy"). So a week or so after that game, I already had my Eagles Super Bowl hat or sweatshirt or something, and I'm in a bar down here with my wife and daughter and now son in law, just having a nice day. And some young gal in a Patriots sweatshirt walks over to me and doesn't bother to even acknowledge that the Eagles beat the Patriots - she started off by saying "get back to me when you've won FIVE of them"!

I know not all Patriots fans are that obnoxious. Well, I'm pretty sure. OK, I'm guessing some aren't. But that's another downside of dynasties and empires. Their fans get a real sense of entitlement that's very VERY ugly and will come back to bite them in the butt someday. I'm not saying you're like this, but labeling anyone who doesn't love your Pats with the same enthusiasm you do as a "hater" is pretty much along those lines...

Last edited by raysachs; 12-30-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Ummmm...ever heard of the Steelers? And you’re right, no one really cares...except Pats fans

I’ve always been amused at Pats fans sensitivity. Anyone who doesn’t care for the Pats are “haters”. Heaven forbid anyone have a preference for another team, and dislike your team.

People are entitled to their opinions. It’s not that serious folks. We’re talking about a game.
The next 50 years. Free agency and salary caps are a whole other thing.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-30-2019, 10:32 AM

...moving right along...how about those Browns? Kitchen finally got let go. Weren't they supposed to win it all this year?

I'm not gloating because I'm a fair weather Steelers fan. I have good friends in Ohio but they gloat about Ohio State so it all comes out even. We had a good run with Rothlisberger and Crosby for well over a decade so I'm thinking that lean times are acomin'. In fact, if our baseball team suddenly got good I'd be worried that the End Times were coming!

Seriously, in this day and age I've come to realize that sports are almost a religion to some and with fantasy leagues and now sports betting becoming legal it's reached a fever pitch. As was said, it's all just a game. The only losers are the ones paying for the stadiums and being charged exorbitant rates to have to even walk in.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:52 AM

I watch sports for entertainment, even college sports has gone off into the money world, (coach salaries, physical plant, rich alumni etc.)

"The only losers are the ones paying for the stadiums and being charged exorbitant rates to have to even walk in."

I agree with this a lot!

Fog
Old 12-30-2019, 11:21 AM

Raiders have played their last game in Oakland, moving to Vegas next year. Wow!!! All these team moves, still can't get used to LA Chargers....
Old 12-30-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I wish I had a dollar every time I heard this. Of course if you say this year after year, then one year you’ll be right. Did you also know that the moon affects the rise of tides?
Quote:
So, you guys have no sense of humor? Sorry if I elevated your blood pressure.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 12-30-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
And some young gal in a Patriots sweatshirt walks over to me and doesn't bother to even acknowledge that the Eagles beat the Patriots - she started off by saying "get back to me when you've won FIVE of them"!
I think the most notable word in that sentence is "young". As a Pats fan for 40+ years who grew up 20 minutes from Foxborough, I'm not unhappy there will be a thinning of the herd of fans who decided they liked the Patriots (and the Red Sox) around 2003 or 2004. Anyone who's been around long enough to remember the aluminum benches at Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium understands this has been something special and likely won't been seen again. There was a time when we were just happy to be playing meaningful games in December. I'm enjoying it for all it's worth, and I figure anything after Brady's 2008 knee injury is gravy.)

So no, we're not all like that, and I'm guessing not all Eagles fans would throw snowballs at Santa Claus either.

That Eagles team had a great, gutsy run. (When the Super Bowl pairing was set, I remember a young - again with the young - colleague crowing about how the Eagles didn't stand a chance. Right, I said, when has a team with a back up quarterback come in and upset the hottest offense in the league? Oh yeah, 2001 Pats over the Rams.)

Ray - Belated congratulations from a Pats fan and good luck this post-season.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Wow That 49's / Seattle game was looking rather blah for the first half... 2nd half was a bit more exciting. IMHO Seattle should've one that... only because of the missed call of PI and that delay of game in the last seconds... sigh
It was looking all 49'rs for awhile, Russell Wilson looked like a different players between the 1st and 2nd.... turned out to be a good game....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic