The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-18-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
WHy a passive mixer? Don't you need an amplified signal to go to the Aux in on the SA220? I know that if you go from the mixer into one of the 2 regular channels on the front of the SA220 you would want a passive signal.
You need a line level signal. The aux input merely bypasses the 220’s EQ and preamps. Trust me ... or blow up your 220.

That said many lunchbox powered mixers have line level outputs. Usually on the front panel. May be XLR or 1/4”.

Before you do anything you’ll regret see if someone can help you.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:05 PM

"..........
Old 01-19-2019, 09:33 AM

I have done this many times. I have two SA220’s and a ZED FX mixer. Run your mics and instruments into your mixer. Add reverb, delay etc., with the mixer. Run XLR outs to monitor in on SA220. Essentially your SA220 become powered speakers with reverb and EQ bypassed.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
I have done this many times. I have two SA220’s and a ZED FX mixer. Run your mics and instruments into your mixer. Add reverb, delay etc., with the mixer. Run XLR outs to monitor in on SA220. Essentially your SA220 become powered speakers with reverb and EQ bypassed.
This is exactly how I have done it. I just have to wonder why people get a set up that's designed for a solo artist, and then want to make it do things that it wasn't designed to do, and look for shortcuts to make it happen. It's actually cheaper to get a powered speaker and a small mixer with four or even six XLR inputs. My SA 330 is fine if I run my mixer into the Mon In when I want to add another player. Typically I use that mixer with my QSC K10.2 speakers for added players at a gig.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
This is exactly how I have done it. I just have to wonder why people get a set up that's designed for a solo artist, and then want to make it do things that it wasn't designed to do, and look for shortcuts to make it happen. It's actually cheaper to get a powered speaker and a small mixer with four or even six XLR inputs. My SA 330 is fine if I run my mixer into the Mon In when I want to add another player. Typically I use that mixer with my QSC K10.2 speakers for added players at a gig.
In my case, I wasn’t expecting to have 3 other people join me, or I would have made different choices. It works well though and when I’m solo i don’t use a mixer.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:44 AM

In my case, I will be using my SA220 for just my guitar and vocals 90% of the time. But it would be nice to be able to accomodate someone else from time to time that wants to come and sit in with me. I don't want to break the bank just for something that will only be used a small percentage of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification