The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-27-2016, 10:56 PM

Default iRig or similar for Journey OF660

Looking to interface my OF660 to a battery powered speaker like the jambox or bose soundlink.

iRig has clip on mic, any one used that ok with the OF660? or other iRig product?

What I'm after is a bit of volume boost via battery powered speaker, not for gigging, just for practice and jams.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:58 PM

Hey Tonyo - without leaking too much information, if you can wait for 3 months on your purchase we'll have a surprise for you. Trust me... the wait will be worth it.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robailey View Post
Hey Tonyo - without leaking too much information, if you can wait for 3 months on your purchase we'll have a surprise for you. Trust me... the wait will be worth it.
Something like an onboard active pre-amp? That would be very nice
Old 09-13-2016, 03:20 AM

Thanks, I've managed to borrow an interface from a friend. Haven't had the chance to try it yet.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

I picked up an Irig clip-on sound hole set up. I ran it through my iPod mini. I got a good sound but was disappointed with the isolation. It picked up more room sound and ambient noise (street noise) then I expected. I get better isolation with a hypercodoriod setting on a mic

For $50 it is a nice piece of gear, especially if you do not have a decent mic, but you do need to down load the software to use it.

I have not used it in a gig setting yet (I have K&K set ups in my gig guitars)
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 10-21-2016 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robailey View Post
Will it retrofit my 660? I brought a couple of cables and a Fishman preamp with me to Jamaica so I can plug in at the piano bar.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Will it retrofit my 660? I brought a couple of cables and a Fishman preamp with me to Jamaica so I can plug in at the piano bar.
Yes, absolutely it will retrofit! It will work with all our guitars and ukuleles as well.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:52 PM

I found a solution that I'm quite happy with.

http://www.voxamps.com/amplug2

I got the 'classic rock' model. It connects to my jambox speaker using a 3.5 mm audio cable and provides decent volume.

I tried an iRiffPort cable from a friend using my iphone and ipad along with guitar amplifier apps but that didn't work well, the volume was not enough and the software interfaces were inconsistent and confusing (I'm quite I.T. technical).

The amplug2 runs on 2 aaa batteries.

The quality of sound through the jambox speaker is not anywhere near as good as a decent amp, but I wasn't expecting it to be. It gives me a bit more volume out of my OF660 when the ambient noise around is high.

Now I'm going to try a few different portable speakers, our jambox is nearly 4 years old and it will be interesting to see what difference the newer ones (sony, etc) make.

I'm hoping to find one that has volume and tone controls to give a bit more flexibity. The jambox only has volume control.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I found a solution that I'm quite happy with.

http://www.voxamps.com/amplug2 . . . . . .
I took a look at these on YouTube and from what I heard, ALL of the models are made for electric guitars and so the cleanest, undistorted sound still has distinct electric guitar distortion (referred to as "serious sound") as it's bottom line. You can then add more distortion or reverb, etc. on top of that, but the units cannot product clean acoustic guitar sound. They will always make your acoustic guitar sound like an electric.

I later found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY4gSolePpM and it seems a cleaner sound can be produced although this model is about 7 years old.

It's a nice design, compact and light, but the electric sound is probably not for me.

On your model--can you produce a clean acoustic sound?
Is it possible to link us to a small sound clip used with the OF660?

Thanks

Last edited by ac; 10-21-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:01 PM

Good question. I mentally cringed with the sales person first got that model due to it's 'classic rock' label.

The unit includes 3 FX reverb, chorus and tremolo (from memory) and I particularly don't care for them.

I consider the sound to be clean as long as I don't crank up the gain. I'll work to get a sound clip recorded as well for you, if I forget, drop me an email: [email protected] to remind me.

The sound clip is also a way of me hearing it from the audience perspective.

I tried it on a ukelele as well and it did a reasonable job of reproducing a clean sound.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:27 PM

it's been interesting practicing with it to provide the audio recording requested. I play fingerstyle without using nails or thumb picks, in other words relatively soft type of playing.

With volume, gain and tone settings at midway, it's clean. I grabbed a plectrum and strummed it and it sounded quite ghastly. The 'electric guitar distortion' referred to. I've had to turn down the gain to low levels to get it to sound good with a plectrum.

More to come.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:47 PM

I haven't had the chance to record a sampling as yet. Not likely before I kick off my trip to America.

The sound of the headphone amp is very good fingerstyle and sounds awful (in my view) with a plectrum. This is fine for me as almost all my playing is fingerstyle (with flesh finger pads, not nails or thumb picks).

If I have a song that needs a plectrum, the guitar has enough volume without the headphone amp into the portable speaker.

The headphone amp has a mid range boost mode. Originally I had to use that to get decent volume through the portable speaker. However, now I'm also using my K&K pure preamp and have turned off the amps mid range boost. The sound is even better. Very happy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber