The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-12-2010, 03:01 PM

Default Is all music writable?

As a teen, when I was first learning how to read music, my instructor handed me the sheet music for Bad Company's "Movin' On." That's a great song, by the way. I learned enough where I could play the song from the sheet music.

However, I lost interest at that very moment. The reason being, what I was playing sounded nothing like the actual song. Or even the guitar part of the song. Then I cranked up my electric when I got home and taught myself by ear how to play the actual song, the way it truly is played on guitar.

The notes I was playing on electric turned out to be higher up on the neck. Maybe an octave thing, not sure. I guess my question has to do with all of you who speak back and forth about reading music, tabs, etc.

Does that really work for you all the time? Aren't there occasions where a song (a guitar song) cannot truly be expressed in written form/sheet music?

please help me understand, in lay terms.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:09 PM

Music can be notated incredibly explicitly. Even then, the performer does some interpretation.

Also, there are lots of bad transcriptions out there.

Last edited by Bryan T; 03-12-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:22 PM

On Whole Lotta Love, Jimmy Page performs his "solo" on a theremin.
I wanna see that written accurately on sheet music!
Old 03-12-2010, 03:46 PM

Lots of sheet music and books out there are arrangements for piano with a notation of the (vocal) melody, and maybe some basic guitar chord diagrams (which may or may not correspond to the actual chord shapes played on the recording), which may be what you were given for the Bad Company song.

However, there are many songbooks out there which include very accurate notation/tab transcriptions of the original guitar parts for all kinds of rock/popular music as well, it takes a bit of experience to be able to look at the music and know what you're dealing with.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:53 PM

For example take a look at these 2 examples (they are limited previews, but hopefully you get the idea).

The first is a "Piano/Vocal/Chords" arrangement, the second contains notation/tab of the guitar parts as actually played on the recording.

http://www.sheetmusicdigital.com/sol...?id=SH00095957

http://www.sheetmusicdigital.com/sol...?id=SH00108910
Old 03-12-2010, 04:02 PM

I can't think of anything that can't be written out in some form, to express what is being played. The difficulty comes in learning how to read what is written and what it means and how to do it.

Years ago, John Stropes invented new symbols and notation to express what Michael Hedges was doing on guitar with some of his break-through techniques and compositions. You just have to learn what they mean, just like anything written.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Man you guys got it made, today. Back in the late 70s there was no tab, no youtube, barely sheet music and it was wrong, all wrong! There wasn't even CDs, only records and you would scratch your favorite albums up playing that same riff over and over. Then, you'd go out to the bars hopin' to see someone play it live and all they had was synth bands playin' disco.

Oh, the horror!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:12 PM

I think your experience speaks more to the quality of the transcription than any shortcoming of notation. Sounds like the music you received was plain out wrong.

It happens. But I would hardly call that cause for questioning the validity of notation.

Now I've heard (and seen) some crazy music (French Art Song, for instance). It's out there and at times seem almost atonal and with no tempo, but the music is specific and really conveys the exact sounds the composer intended.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-14-2010, 04:49 AM

I've seen some pretty bad and pretty good arrangements. What's always impressed me are the good ones. Some people can really nail it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD