The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-13-2009, 05:47 PM

Exclamation Web hosting? CD baby?

Hey how many people have a website (for guitar) and who do you use for hosting you think is a good deal?

Anyone on CD baby, how do you like them?

Do you use youtube to link to your websites, etc?
Old 10-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Eric Skye

I have been very happy with CDbaby and Hostbaby
Old 10-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Hey how many people have a website (for guitar) and who do you use for hosting you think is a good deal?

Anyone on CD baby, how do you like them?

Do you use youtube to link to your websites, etc?
Domain-name hosts are a dime a dozen these days...I use a business called "Xmission" (since about 1996), and my website has never been "down." I think they charge about 10 bucks a month these days.

CD-Baby doesn't sell much CD product for me, but they are a reasonable portal to get my music onto iTunes and other digital sales venues.

My small YouTube account certainly has links to my website.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

As far as I know CD Baby is still the biggest and best and although they had some software undate problems recently they seem to have resolved most of those. Don't expect it to be the gateway to numerous sales however. The statistic I have heard is that "of all CDs put up for sale only something like 25% or less sell one or more. Meaning most artists sell none." Sad but probably true.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-13-2009, 06:35 PM

I have been using Host Gator web hosting services for several years with zero down time and prompt support when needed (all of which have been asking questions about features or forgotten password)... their online chat support is fantastic.

No matter where you host be sure that you have access to a control panel for your host web space with a program called Cpanel. I always recommend buying domain names through GoDaddy (their domain control panel is fantastic). I always recommend not to host with GoDaddy or Yahoo as they do not use Cpanel to access your web space.

The musicians that I have built sites for lately have used iTunes and CDbaby for selling music. Success really depends on self marketing to the right crowd... I wish I had a magic equation for that one

Another web resource to look into, which I really don't know much, is ReverbNation.com
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream” ~Mark Twain
Old 10-13-2009, 10:14 PM

Oh, good replys!@! Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD