The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-13-2018, 04:44 PM

Default Part Three: "Bracing, Voicing and Boxing"

And so the saga continues! But before I go on, I wanted to say a quick thank you for all the supportive comments and messages I've received via this thread. Thank you.

Some exciting developments to share with you as the beast takes shape. Tom's been working hard and since my last post we managed a trip to Canada and the States together for the Vancouver Guitar Show which was tremendous, and a house concert in San Diego for a client and mutual friend =) What a wonderful journey.

And speaking of wonderful journeys, here's the continuation of my guitar's journey from tree to musical instrument!

Rim assembled, and looking positively sculptural in this image from Tom's workshop:

The beginnings of the back bracing:

There's something wonderfully architectural about this whole process, and this image of the go-bars in place sums that up rather beautifully:

Sculpting them braces...

And before long it was time to box the thing up. Clamps on clamps.

And here's how she's looking now, ready for binding:

Safe to say my excitement is reaching fever-pitch. What a joy it is to see this process so intimately.

The man himself:

Next step will be binding, and then goodness me it'll be time for a neck!

More soon =)
Old 10-14-2018, 03:11 AM

Fabulous; I can't wait to ding it for you!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-14-2018, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Steve, you’re one funny dude! Wait, that’s not your tongue in your cheek? Yikes!!

Beautiful guitar, that goes without saying. The photographs are oh-so-tasty, too. Keep them coming, please!
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 10-15-2018, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Fabulous; I can't wait to ding it for you!

Cheers,
Steve
Ah ha! Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine!!"

;-)

W
Old 10-15-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Steve, you’re one funny dude! Wait, that’s not your tongue in your cheek? Yikes!!

Beautiful guitar, that goes without saying. The photographs are oh-so-tasty, too. Keep them coming, please!
Cheers man, much appreciated. And yes the photos Tom's been sending my way have been utterly tantalising. Plenty more to follow!

W
Old 10-16-2018, 12:04 PM

Will, looking really good. I can only imagine the pleasure your're getting seeing it all come together. Interesting wood combination, I shall really look forwarding to hearing you play it !

Cheers,

Ian
Old 10-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Tom Sands' work is amazing, and his aesthetic appeals to me... Congrats on the build and enjoy the ride!
Old 10-18-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianLP59 View Post
Will, looking really good. I can only imagine the pleasure your're getting seeing it all come together. Interesting wood combination, I shall really look forwarding to hearing you play it !

Cheers,

Ian
Hi Ian, yes it is a sublime pleasure I must say! And yes, a unique wood combination - something I'm very excited to get my hands on.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Tom Sands' work is amazing, and his aesthetic appeals to me... Congrats on the build and enjoy the ride!
Thanks Louie - yes you and me both. His visual aesthetic manages to be striking and unique whilst remaining understated, letting the materials speak for themselves. I love that. =)
Old 10-20-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will McNicol View Post
(...)

The beginnings of the back bracing:

(...)

Will, do I see that you are inlaying the vertical backbrace? Could you perhaps explain a bit more about why this is?

The build is looking really good!
Old 10-21-2018, 05:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Will,

Great to see this build thread - and I got to see the work in progress first-hand a couple of weekends ago - it's looking fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will McNicol View Post
There's something wonderfully architectural about this whole process, and this image of the go-bars in place sums that up rather beautifully:

...and it's amazing how the choice of tonewood for the go-bars influences the final voicing of the back

Looking forward to following this one to completion - and hopefully getting to try it one day. I played Tom's first Model S when it was on its way to the Holy Grail show with my Model L, and it I thought it was absolutely superb. Congratulations!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:09 AM

I have a custom being built that looks to be in the same stage of yours. This is where it all starts looking like a guitar. Congrats!
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 11-04-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefK View Post
Will, do I see that you are inlaying the vertical backbrace? Could you perhaps explain a bit more about why this is?

The build is looking really good!
Hi Stef, thanks for this and for following the thread =) I think the angle of the photo may be a little misleading. The braces aren't inlayed, it might be a trick of the light and shadows. And the back reinforcement strip may look inlayed due to the perfect framing of the black limba grain on either side. Hope that clears it up!

Cheers!

Will
Old 11-04-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Hey Will,

Great to see this build thread - and I got to see the work in progress first-hand a couple of weekends ago - it's looking fabulous!

...and it's amazing how the choice of tonewood for the go-bars influences the final voicing of the back

Looking forward to following this one to completion - and hopefully getting to try it one day. I played Tom's first Model S when it was on its way to the Holy Grail show with my Model L, and it I thought it was absolutely superb. Congratulations!

Cheers,
David

Ah ha, thanks David! Oh man, I'm jealous you were able to see it all in the flesh! And for sure it wold be great to get together once all done so you can have a go =)

W
Old 11-04-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
I have a custom being built that looks to be in the same stage of yours. This is where it all starts looking like a guitar. Congrats!
Thanks man, it's an exciting process indeed, particularly at this stage. All the best with your build! Exciting stuff!

W

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop