The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-01-2018, 04:54 PM

Default Pain on palm side of hand

Hi All,
Lately, and with increasing frequency, I've been experiencing a pain point on my fretting (left) hand. I'll try to describe the location as best I can as follows:

It's located directly below the index finger (palm side) in the area where a callous would typically form from holding a baseball bat for example. It almost feels like there's a somewhat "pointy" bone there and it's like a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10 in discomfort when pressure is put on it (like when holding the neck of the guitar).

Has anyone experienced anything same/similar to this and what can I do about it? Is it just a matter of laying off the guitar for a while and letting it heal? It's not red or anything, it just feels like a "knuckle" in there sort of. I don't have it on my right hand. I'm a bit perplexed. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Kind Regards,

IG
2014 Shippey Oval Hole Mandolin
2016 Martin HD28.
Schertler Jam 150 amp.
Neumann TLM 102 mic.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:56 PM

Could be you have a neuroma (swollen cluster of nerves--lots of nerves pass through the palm) or a ganglion cyst. How hard do you grip the neck? A tendon might also be inflamed and have formed a nodule (tenosynovitis--if your finger "triggers," the nodule would be closer to the base of the finger).

Here are the structures involved in that part of the palm: capitate, trapezium & trapezoid bones (aka known as "carpal bones"); carpometacarpal (CMC) joint between the carpal bones & finger (metacarpal); palmar branch nerves; flexor tendons; adductor pollicis muscle. The latter is smack-dab where you describe your pain. (I know all this sh...er, stuff because of all the nasty things I did to my wrist & hand by falling this past spring).

It might go away on its own, but don't take that for granted--see an orthopedist, preferably one who specializes in hands & arms. Don't play (guitar, golf, two-handed-grip tennis, baseball) till you know what you're dealing with and have ruled out anything serious. You'll probably start with X-rays, and maybe need CT or MRI (the gold standard of non-invasive imaging).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic