The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-07-2000, 02:20 PM

Post Recording Acoustic Guitar

Hey all!

For those of you that record, whether it be at home or in a professional studio, how do you prefer to record your acoustic? I've been simply using the built in preamp on my _______(nontaylor sorry!) and have been satisfied but not in love with the tone...

I'd like to start micing, but I'm not sure which ones to use...I've heard good things about Oktava's and the Rode NT1...any comments? Do you mic guys use 1 or 2? (or more?) What preamps?

For a sample of what sort of acoustic sound I get now, go to http://www.mp3.com/prlj/ and listen to "Seneca Falls"...I'm sort of looking for that Acoustic Alchemy sort of sound.

Thanks

Paul
Old 09-15-2000, 11:09 AM

Well, I've had pretty nice results at home with one AKG C535EB set at head height, pointing down above (and angling in just a bit towards) the neck/body joint. I've tried this for all three of my steel string acoustics (not the classical yet), and this one position seemed to allow me to get a good tone from all three (which had different tone/eq/placement problems).

In the studio, I've gotten great results with and AKG C414, and an Audix D-1. For most applications, I've used just one mic susally at the neck/body joint, angled towards the neck.

Brett

[This message has been edited by Brett Valentine (edited 09-15-2000).]
Old 09-15-2000, 12:10 PM

My wife and I recently recorded an original CD, set to come out soon. After much fussing about how to record acoustic gtr, we ended up using our Taylor 514CE, direct through an ART tube preamp to warm it up. We tried micing, piezo direct, etc. This ended up sounding really good.
fg
Old 09-15-2000, 03:22 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I did a comparison a while back between the AKG C3000 and the Rode NT recording acoustic guitar. I'll see if I can dig it out and post it. I included an MP3 to demonstrate the difference between the mics.

I've also found that the Taylor guitars record surprisingly well direct. Once I fussed around with the mic for about an hour trying to get the "right" sound. Then I tried just plugging in and it came out great.

J.R.
Old 09-15-2000, 03:43 PM

Thanks guys...JR, I'm very interested in hearing the results of that. And "fg", let us know when that comes out, I'd like to hear it.

Anyone get a chance to listen to the "Seneca Falls" sample? Perhaps I don't even need to be asking about mics, but I'd love to know what you think of the tone.
http://www.mp3.com/prlj/

Paul
Old 09-15-2000, 03:53 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hey, Paul. I just got finished listening to Quoonum sample. I really like how you panned one guitar right, the bass to the left, and the rhythm guitar seemed to fade into the middle. The music is very nice! I'll try to listen to the rest tonight.

J.R.
Old 09-17-2000, 01:41 AM

I am primarily an electric guitarist, but do quite a bit of acoustic work and the singer in my band and I have a regular schedule of acoustic shows that we do.

My music samples all feature my Taylor 810, check the "Marilyn Mack Group MP3.com site" and listen to "Ease My Mind". On my personal MP3.com site, the song "Rain Shine" has me double tracking the entire song panned left and right with the 810S.

I am working on two songs that feature the Taylor as the primary instrument too. Once they are finished I will post.

I have gotten excellent recorded results it the studio with the AKG 414 aimed at the soundhole from the neck side, with the Neumann TLM-103, and at home with my Shure KSM-32SL. I tend to favor the "angled at the soundhole" tone, but have gotten great preliminary results with my new 614CE running direct in combination with the Shure. Results to follow!

------------------
Scott Peterson

Marilyn Mack Group
Marilyn Mack Group MP3.Com Site
My Personal MP3.Com Site
Dirty Cow Records
My Gear

"Sleeping and eating were never as important to me (as playing the guitar)."
Chet Atkins
Old 09-17-2000, 06:52 PM

I've been playing around with recording myself direct to my home computer. I use SoundJam. a mac app which has an option to record direct from sound input. I found a cable that has the guitar jack on one end and the smaller jack on the other end to go into the mic jack. Simple but it works. Definitely for the home hobbyist though... :-)
Old 09-17-2000, 10:30 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hey, Scott.... I'm anxious to hear the final result of the 614CE mixed with the Shure. Do you have pictures of that beauty, yet? You've got great taste in guitars. My primary Taylor is a 614CE - I call it "mean green". - Pictures in the gallery.

J.R.
Old 09-17-2000, 10:33 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Peterson:
My music samples all feature my Taylor 810, check the "Marilyn Mack Group MP3.com site" and listen to "Ease My Mind". On my personal MP3.com site, the song "Rain Shine" has me double tracking the entire song panned left and right with the 810S.
Wow! just checked out "Ease my Mind". You definitely got a good acoustic sound on tape. It doesn't ever get buried in the mix. Great work on the electric, too. Which PRS did you use on that song?

J.R.
Old 10-23-2000, 12:53 AM

Interesting. I had to switch from Netscape to I.E. to get this post to work. So I'm resubmitting this reply because it didn't show on my browser.

So if this shows up twice, my apologies.

RL

Hello,
I mentioned this in another post but I A/B compared AKG 1000/3000 and Rode NT and NT2 mikes for recording acoustic guitar. I wanted a mike that would work for my hobby studio under $500. I bought the NT2 and haven't been disappointed.

Recently I bought a Taylor 514CE(my second Taylor) and was amazed at how it sounded plugged directly into my Roland VS880EX. The blender system worked well to reproduce(or imitate should I say) the sound of the 514.

The Roland VS studio website has a recent discussion going on recording acoustic guitar at:
http://www.eGroups.com/message/vlist

RL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification