The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-13-2018, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I need to try one of these using my pedal board ..which comes to every gig with me. ( I have a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ) So that will help me shape the tone. I didn't love the S1 Pro alone, so I bought a Fishman LB Mini Charge ...which is super cool. But the Bose seems to have a nice following too and I already use an L1 Compact with great success.
I have an L1C and for the past five years have used it with an LBMini (then a direct line to the L1C). When my Mini crapped out, I bought an S1 (while waiting on Fishman for the repairs)... I like the S1>L1C sound even better.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:00 AM

Methos, as I start hauling out the acoustics to get back into playing, I am considering the BOSS VE-8 like you have--guitar and vox into that, then that to left and right Bose S1. I would also like to add a little "grunge" to my guitar, and have an old fuzz pedal. Do you think it would work to run my guitar into that, then go from the fuzz to the BOSS?
Old 06-14-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnbock View Post
Methos, as I start hauling out the acoustics to get back into playing, I am considering the BOSS VE-8 like you have--guitar and vox into that, then that to left and right Bose S1. I would also like to add a little "grunge" to my guitar, and have an old fuzz pedal. Do you think it would work to run my guitar into that, then go from the fuzz to the BOSS?
Not Methos but expect fuzz into a full range acoustic amplification system to be very fizzy. If that is what you want, it will work.

hunter
Old 06-14-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I need to try one of these using my pedal board ..which comes to every gig with me. ( I have a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ) So that will help me shape the tone. I didn't love the S1 Pro alone, so I bought a Fishman LB Mini Charge ...which is super cool. But the Bose seems to have a nice following too and I already use an L1 Compact with great success.
For whatever reason, the tonematch on the speaker is perfect for my guitar; it takes all the "boominess" out of it so I can sing over it. It's that magic that makes it the perfect speaker for me as I've never been able to get a sound I liked using anything else.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:29 PM

Default Bose S1 or QSC K8.2?

I just landed at an airport and when I walked into the terminal I heard this beautiful full sounding acoustic guitar music. I thought it was being piped into the terminal through their pa. Then I saw a guitarist about 100 feet away... as I walked up I saw he was using an S1! Wow. What a big full beautiful sound.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 06-14-2018, 01:11 PM

Thanks Hunter. I'm not looking for metal-type distortion, just a little edge to it. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause any issue with the signal chain.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Hunter. I'm not looking for metal-type distortion, just a little edge to it. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause any issue with the signal chain.
I have no experience with adding that type of effect but so I really can't comment. My concern would be, does adding this type of effect adversely effect the auto-key detection for the harmonizer? That's the only thing I could think of as possibly being problematic. But I don't know the answer. I don't think it would hurt anything to try it though.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:55 PM

Good point...I hadn't thought about the harmonizer. Hmm, I'll have to think of some other options.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good point...I hadn't thought about the harmonizer. Hmm, I'll have to think of some other options.
But as Methos put it, he was talking about the auto-key detection for the harmonizer, which indeed is based on detecting the chords you're playing. You can also tell the VE-8 what key you're in, and it's supposed to base the harmony on that, based on your voice. At least thats how I recall it, I always use the autokey detector.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
But as Methos put it, he was talking about the auto-key detection for the harmonizer, which indeed is based on detecting the chords you're playing. You can also tell the VE-8 what key you're in, and it's supposed to base the harmony on that, based on your voice. At least thats how I recall it, I always use the autokey detector.
My problem is that I really never know what key I'm in! We tune down half a step and then capo 1 through 4 as needed so I have no idea! I will say that one time we used the VE-8 and I didn't notice that we had it in the fixed key button and it still sounded fine. I don't know what key the fixe defaults to but apparently we were playing all the songs we used it on in the same key! Go figure.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
My problem is that I really never know what key I'm in!
Same here, even when not capo'd in utterly standard tunings. I had a firmer grasp and keys and so forth back in my trumpet days.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
According to this sheet posted earlier by Cuki, S1 dispersion (coverage) is 100 deg H, 40 deg V which less than the QSCs 105 deg conical:

hunter

The specs on the Bose site have different dispersion angles:

“120 deg H, 50 def V”

https://pro.bose.com/en_us/products/...ro_system.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification