The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-11-2021, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
And so it begins.
Cue the opening music from Jaws

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-11-2021, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Cue the opening music from Jaws
His next line is going to be something like, "I'm not really interested in getting a tube pre."
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-11-2021, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
.... [snip] ....
but I just wanted something that really captured all of the tone I am getting my acoustic guitar.
Because of this, I have barely touched my recording gear(and I had a pair of Schoeps and AT4050's as well) [/INDENT]
I got my John Hardy M-2 about a month ago(3 channels), but had no time to even plug it in. As I was leaving on vacation to Oregon, Idaho and Montana. Got Back last Friday but still no time. Finally on Tuesday My new- first of its kind- Buzz Audio Velox compressor came in the mail. Now it was absolutely time to get over my fears and start plugging in. Can't let all the gear sit around.
So here is the low down; I know everyone says that preamps make the least difference.
But OH MY! night and day difference between my Audient Pres and the John Hardy pres. In this case, it is like a veil has been lifted. There was a hollowness with the Audient Pres(and everyone says the Audient pres are good?)
Thank goodness the ID44 has a complete bypass of the pre's for two channels.
Now My guitar sounds like it should, deep, rich, smooth & full. I have one last criticism of my acoustic guitar sound, and that is when I power strum. I seem to be missing the initial treble harmonics when I strike. I call it Bite? When I hit the Chord hard, I am missing that solid bite of the treble harmonics. No problems when playing at normal level...just those power chords. And I hit hard.
.... [snip] ....
But Now, I am wondering if it is my Headphones that are the real problem. Don't have my speakers plugged in at the moment. Maybe my headphones can not pick up that quick response times of a power chord? Regardless I still plan to experiment with a center channel. But that will be another story. And so far the Buzz Audio Velox stereo optical compressor? A Big, Big plus. wow, so smooth and musical. A lot to explore with the Velox(But again, that will be another story)
.... [snip] ....
Glad your gear all came in and you've had a chance to do an initial setup and test. Sounds like you're well satisfied; your research paid off.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 06-11-2021, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Great gear is hard to knock, other than the relative cost.

John Hardy preamps have been around for decades and with few exceptions they receive well earned praise. I had a 2 channel M2 with output transformers for a few years. Nice box.

Put me in the camp of "preamps often make a difference".

Also, put me in the camp of "combinations of a particular mic and a particular preamp can create a unique greatness".
Old 06-11-2021, 08:33 PM

Can either the OP or a moderator please change "verses" to "versus".
Old 06-11-2021, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Can either the OP or a moderator please change "verses" to "versus".
Done, sorry about that.
Have always had a bit of Dyslexia, especially when it comes to spelling or mispronouncing words. (o.k..truth be told I better include improper sentence structure as well)
Still have not completely figured out the proper pronunciation of Schoeps. LOL. John Hardy and I have had fun conversation today over the pronunciation of Schoeps.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Still have not completely figured out the proper pronunciation of Schoeps. LOL. John Hardy and I have had fun conversation today over the pronunciation of Schoeps.

The official answer :-)

Old 06-11-2021, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

I AM IN THIS VIDEO!
I did not know...How funny!
In the brown petroglyph t-shirt at 25 seconds! That Says, "This Is The Mic" ( and that is probably cause I could not pronounce it properly. ha ha)
What a laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post

Old 06-12-2021, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have been a late bloomer as far as recording goes.
One of the main reasons is I have never been even remotely happy with any of my recorded signals. O.K Call me a snob..haha....but I just wanted something that really captured all of the tone I am getting my acoustic guitar.
Because of this, I have barely touched my recording gear(and I had a pair of Schoeps and AT4050's as well)
I got my John Hardy M-2 about a month ago(3 channels), but had no time to even plug it in. As I was leaving on vacation to Oregon, Idaho and Montana. Got Back last Friday but still no time. Finally on Tuesday My new- first of its kind- Buzz Audio Velox compressor came in the mail. Now it was absolutely time to get over my fears and start plugging in. Can't let all the gear sit around.
So here is the low down; I know everyone says that preamps make the least difference.
But OH MY! night and day difference between my Audient Pres and the John Hardy pres. In this case, it is like a veil has been lifted. There was a hollowness with the Audient Pres(and everyone says the Audient pres are good?)
Thank goodness the ID44 has a complete bypass of the pre's for two channels.
Now My guitar sounds like it should, deep, rich, smooth & full. I have one last criticism of my acoustic guitar sound, and that is when I power strum. I seem to be missing the initial treble harmonics when I strike. I call it Bite? When I hit the Chord hard, I am missing that solid bite of the treble harmonics. No problems when playing at normal level...just those power chords. And I hit hard.
My plans still include using a third mic. Kind of a real time Mid-side, only not spliting and inverting a channel...just using a true stereo signal with matched mics- and a third for center channel.
But Now, I am wondering if it is my Headphones that are the real problem. Don't have my speakers plugged in at the moment. Maybe my headphones can not pick up that quick response times of a power chord? Regardless I still plan to experiment with a center channel. But that will be another story. And so far the Buzz Audio Velox stereo optical compressor? A Big, Big plus. wow, so smooth and musical. A lot to explore with the Velox(But again, that will be another story)
Today I just wish to Thank ChuckS for his suggestion for me to investigate John Hardy. And to Guitarman68 for confirming that JH was a great premap. And to Doug Young who's Early Great River has the very same Jensen High Nickle Transformers=and from his recordings and test, I recognized a sound from those trannies, that I liked. Really Grateful to Doug for all the tests he presents on the AGF. Actually really grateful to everyone on the recording side of AGF. So much knowledge and so many willing to lend, sound, kind advice(not always the the other side of the forum...ha ha)
So just for the record, you can count me out of the camp that says that preamps don't make that much difference. Maybe they don't among high quality preamps. Maybe when you get to a certain grade there is little difference? But sure makes a big difference between my Audient pre's and my John Hardy pre's.
So your recording chain is now mics (Schoeps), mic pres (JH), A\D interface (Audient), computer/DAW, correct?
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-12-2021, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have been a late bloomer as far as recording goes.

Because of this, I have barely touched my recording gear(and I had a pair of Schoeps and AT4050's as well)
I'm not quite clear you "had" but do not now ? Or you have but have not used them ??

Quote:
Question ,,,,Are not hearing the attack transient on your RAW (no processing ) recording ? If yes then first does the Audient (And DAW ) have input monitoring ability ?? Because if you are hearing this reduced transient response on RAW recordings then it could be you may be experiencing a system latency issue

Quote:
My plans still include using a third mic. Kind of a real time Mid-side, only not spliting and inverting a channel...just using a true stereo signal with matched mics- and a third for center channel.
If the answer to my first question is still have why not use the AT 4050 for center ?

Quote:
But Now, I am wondering if it is my Headphones that are the real problem. Don't have my speakers plugged in at the moment. Maybe my headphones can not pick up that quick response times of a power chord?
Pretty certain it's not the HP's as their analog response is virtually instantaneous

Side note about above try setting your compressor to a slow attack time (this will let the transient's thru before it starts compressing)
Also if you are using a reverb, try running it on its own parallel aux track and set it at least 50 ms pre delay

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-12-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thats funny . My dealer where I purchased mine insisted it was "Sheps"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 06-12-2021, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
After listening a few times, I'm still not sure how Schoeps is saying his own name. It sounds like something between Shoops and Shups but I'm not quite getting it. Is this a case where the Germans have a sound that we don't use in English?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-12-2021, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
So your recording chain is now mics (Schoeps), mic pres (JH), A\D interface (Audient), computer/DAW, correct?
John Hardy pre - Buzz Audio Velox Optical Stereo Compressor - Audient ID44(by passing the internal pres as they Return input for Channels 1 & 2) to Logic Pro X.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
After listening a few times, I'm still not sure how Schoeps is saying his own name. It sounds like something between Shoops and Shups but I'm not quite getting it. Is this a case where the Germans have a sound that we don't use in English?
Yeah, I think it's a German thing. I've always said "sheps", and the first time I heard this video, I thought that's what he said - the power of suggestion - but then even after repeated listenings, I can't quite get it, a vowel sound with no english equivalent.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
John Hardy pre - Buzz Audio Velox Optical Stereo Compressor - Audient ID44(by passing the internal pres as they Return input for Channels 1 & 2) to Logic Pro X.
Maybe you already know this BUT Just checked both the Audient and Logic Pro X. So the Audient does not appear to have direct input monitoring... But Logic does have "Low Latency mode" which by passes your plugins while recording,,, but when engaged should get you the lowest latency possible

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD