The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-30-2021, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Default What portable recorder is a step or two up from a Zoom H5?

Looking for upgrade suggestions. Thanks.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 05-30-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:53 PM
Eric Skye

If you have a separate pair of mics you like, the MixPre3 is a pretty nice portable rig. https://www.sounddevices.com/product/mixpre-3-ii/

Last edited by min7b5; 05-31-2021 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

What are you wanting to use it for?
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-30-2021, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The best upgrade is probably external mics. The Zoom F6 is supposed to have better preamps and records in floating point. Probably an upgrade, definitely is spec-wise, tho I'm not sure you'd notice the difference sonically. The next significant step up would be something from Sound Devices.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

I like to use a recording interface and have a PreMix 3 (original version without 32-bit floating point capability).

A clear step up from my H5 that now only gets used for quick takes, etc.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 05-31-2021, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The best upgrade is probably external mics. The Zoom F6 is supposed to have better preamps and records in floating point. Probably an upgrade, definitely is spec-wise, tho I'm not sure you'd notice the difference sonically. The next significant step up would be something from Sound Devices.

We’ve recently started using the F8n for location recording. We’ve been using a combination of a shotgun (Shoeps) in a zeppelin housing together with an omni dpa (oddly enough the omni worked better than the directional lavalier even outside) via a Sony wireless belt back system.

This past Saturday we also added 2 dpa 2011c in x-y for stereo background recording. The results are excellent and the F8n is a great unit to use with lots of useful - even essential - features for outside and inside location use.

You can also use the proprietary Zoom X-Y mics and you can set it up for M/S decoding.

It is a multitrack recorder but not in the sense of being able to add tracks to an existing take.

It also works as an 8-in 4-out USB interface.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-31-2021, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Barry
The MixPre 3 II. It is Sound Devices' baby unit…

There is a reason Sound Devices is one of the most used portable recording solutions for the major (and minor) film industry (who spend what they need based on quality, function, flexibility and durability not budget).

Top end video industry has as high a need to capture top quality audio as the audio industry does. And they do it whether on a sound stage or in the jungle.

The MixPre 3 II has deep menus! It can be used simply for recording and mixing audio on the fly, but if all you are going to do is capture audio (and add effects later) then the Zoom F6 will do you well, give you more channels and cost less.

The MixPre 3 has flexible routing, effects, and internal settings…'more than you can throw a stick at'. It also has customer service & repairs after then fact.

And Sound Devices preamps are top in the affordable-yet-professional remote recording industry (true of all Sound Devices preamps). They were founded in 1998, and have made a huge impact on the portable recording industry (for both Cinema and Audio).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-31-2021, 10:54 AM

I have the Centrance MixerFace R4 and really like it. It's just two channels, but the preamps are very clean and quiet, much like the Sound Devices gear, and. I love the small form factor.

https://centrance.com/mixerface/
Old 05-31-2021, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone! I'm looking for a simple recorder for acoustic guitar, no vocals, but with two mic xlr inputs. I was disappointed when I read that you can't bypass the H5's preamps so I thought I would see what else is out there.

I'm not sure that I really need an upgrade, but my ears don't hear what a lot of others hear.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-31-2021, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, I'm wondering if it really would make a difference for what I do.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-31-2021, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, I'm wondering if it really would make a difference for what I do.
Every little thing matters, but your sound is generally only as good as the weakest link in your chain. If the preamps or converters in the Zoom are your weakest link, then you may hear an improvement. If they're not, you're less likely to notice. Of course one way to find out of they're a weak link is to upgrade and see what happens :-)
Old 05-31-2021, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Every little thing matters, but your sound is generally only as good as the weakest link in your chain. If the preamps or converters in the Zoom are your weakest link, then you may hear an improvement. If they're not, you're less likely to notice. Of course one way to find out of they're a weak link is to upgrade and see what happens :-)
My weakest link in the recording chain I use is me,

I'll work on that one first, then see.

I'm going to get around to making some portable panels this summer also.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-31-2021, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My weakest link in the recording chain I use is me,
Well, that's always my goal - and justification for buying gear that's better than what I need. I like to be sure, if my results are bad, that I can only blame myself.

But unless you want to spend a lot of money at once, there's something to be said for prioritizing. From your recordings, I think your biggest improvement by far would come from acoustic treatment. It would likely be a game-changer.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I'm looking for a simple recorder for acoustic guitar, no vocals, but with two mic xlr inputs. I was disappointed when I read that you can't bypass the H5's preamps so I thought I would see what else is out there.
Hi Barry…

WHY would you bypass the preamps in an H5? HOW would bypass it's preamps and still record? Preamps are a necessary part of hooking our mics to a recorder, mixer, or computer.

Perhaps you are thinking of buying a higher quality external/portable recorder with XLR inputs? Sorry if I overlooked something you mentioned.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-01-2021, 12:47 AM

Hi Barry, I’m surprised you feel the need for an upgrade. Every time I use my H5 it surprises me just how good it actually is and how well it compares to my decent mics/pre set up. I did upgrade to the slightly better mic module (that allows a change in angle from 90 to 120 deg) but the difference in quality was small. If you put these in a decent spot then the recording quality is really very good IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD