The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-23-2021, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Default AS EQP-A has my throat parched

Watching this has me thirsty for a pair of AudioScape EQP-A equalizers. But since I have no place to put them and I just dropped a butt-load of money on new gear, it's going to have to wait. These do sound really sweet though.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-24-2021, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Hey thanks for posting
I have always had kind of a love hate relationship with Pultech EQ plugins Perhaps do to my inexperience early on. As he mentioned the effect was pretty subtle until in my inexperience all of a sudden it wasn't.....and was too much.
But I agree they do sound clear, musical and do add 3D space
I will definitely put them on my list for if and when, I sell MP2A and go looking for a hardware EQ for the master bus . I wish they had a two channel version but I'm guessing it's a matter of room, tubes and heat .
Very cool

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-24-2021, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Hey thanks for posting
I have always had kind of a love hate relationship with Pultech EQ plugins Perhaps do to my inexperience early on. As he mentioned the effect was pretty subtle until in my inexperience all of a sudden it wasn't.....and was too much.
But I agree they do sound clear, musical and do add 3D space
I will definitely put them on my list for if and when, I sell MP2A and go looking for a hardware EQ for the master bus . I wish they had a two channel version but I'm guessing it's a matter of room, tubes and heat .
Very cool
I've rarely reached for a Pultech plugin in the past and that was mainly because the knob layout requires more concentration than I care to put forth when I'm trying to concentrate on what I'm hearing. If I wind up getting these one day, I'll get some thin tape that contrasts well with the front panel and tape off the three sections so I don't have to think so much about the layout.

Like this...

YouTube
Old 05-24-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Watching this has me thirsty for a pair of AudioScape EQP-A equalizers. But since I have no place to put them and I just dropped a butt-load of money on new gear, it's going to have to wait. These do sound really sweet though.

I like Audioscapse stuff, and although I have no need for any new EQs, I watched the presentation, and found that I liked the simple straightforward presentation and the musical way he used the EQ in his presentation. So you just turned me on to someone I would like to follow on youtube. So thanks for that His explanation of predelay was one of the best I've ever heard...

Old 05-24-2021, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I like Audioscapse stuff, and although I have no need for any new EQs, I watched the presentation, and found that I liked the simple straightforward presentation and the musical way he used the EQ in his presentation. So you just turned me on to someone I would like to follow on youtube. So thanks for that His explanation of predelay was one of the best I've ever heard...
You're welcome! But be warned... reading my posts can be damaging to your bank account.

YouTube
Old 05-26-2021, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I agree I really like his presentation and explanation style. If I remember correctly (because I recognize him) somebody posted his pre delay video in a thread here about pre delay, a while back ??

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-26-2021, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You're welcome! But be warned... reading my posts can be damaging to your bank account.
Indeed, but I guess turn about is fair play you Carbon owner you

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-26-2021, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've rarely reached for a Pultech plugin in the past and that was mainly because the knob layout requires more concentration than I care to put forth when I'm trying to concentrate on what I'm hearing. If I wind up getting these one day, I'll get some thin tape that contrasts well with the front panel and tape off the three sections so I don't have to think so much about the layout.

Like this...
So I get the distinction between the Low and High frequency makes sense.
But I am unclear as to why on the right side the "Attenuation" knob is taped off from the High freq. section ,,,isn't it attenuating the high frequency ? And so does the "Bandwidth" range knob, only effecting the High end section ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 05-26-2021 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Indeed, but I guess turn about is fair play you Carbon owner you
If this board allowed curses, you'd get a few right now.

In truth though, I'm very happy with the Carbon so far. However, right now, it's not in a good place in my rack. I have it fairly low because it's where my X16 used to be and I really didn't need to touch that box. In order to get more comfortable with the Carbon, I need it to be higher up so my old eyes can see what I'm doing. So today or tomorrow, I'm going to tear down the rack and reorder things to get the Carbon closer to eye level. I have to add another TRS patchbay to the rack and I have to make room for that also.

Quote:
So I get the distinction between the Low and High frequency makes sense.
But I am unclear as to why on the right side the "Attenuation" knob is taped off from the High freq. section ,,,isn't it attenuating the high frequency ? And so does the "Bandwidth" range knob, only effecting the High end section ?
The three sections do different things:
1st section allows for boost and/or attenuation a low shelf at 20k, 30k, 60k, or 100k.
2nd section allows for boosting only at 3kh, 4kh, 5kh, 8kh, 10kh, 12kh, or 16kh, and has a bandwidth knob which is like a Q adjustment.
3rd section is a high frequency attenuator and allows attenuation only at 5kh, 10kh, or 20kh.

This video explains it...

YouTube
Old 05-26-2021, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If this board allowed curses, you'd get a few right now.
. Well something like this (#$%$#@#$*&) works

Quote:
In truth though, I'm very happy with the Carbon so far. However, right now, it's not in a good place in my rack. I have it fairly low because it's where my X16 used to be and I really didn't need to touch that box. In order to get more comfortable with the Carbon, I need it to be higher up so my old eyes can see what I'm doing. So today or tomorrow, I'm going to tear down the rack and reorder things to get the Carbon closer to eye level. I have to add another TRS patchbay to the rack and I have to make room for that also.
Exactly why I built another Carbon dedicated rack box to go on top of my existing Rack

So I just realized I do in fact have room for two of those Pultech's if I sell the MP2A. And the Bad news is I would have room for them ,,,,@#^ *&*#$@,,,,, you

Quote:
The three sections do different things:
1st section allows for boost and/or attenuation a low shelf at 20k, 30k, 60k, or 100k.
2nd section allows for boosting only at 3kh, 4kh, 5kh, 8kh, 10kh, 12kh, or 16kh, and has a bandwidth knob which is like a Q adjustment.
3rd section is a high frequency attenuator and allows attenuation only at 5kh, 10kh, or 20kh.

This video explains it...
Thanks I'll check out the video

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 05-26-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:07 AM

A few years ago I discovered an Italian company, Acustica Audio, making plugins with a new kind of sampling technology that produces software that is an almost perfect replica of its hardware source. At this point, the tech works best for EQs and not as well for compression, in my opinion.

I've been using Ruby (based on the DW Fearn EQ), Amber (based on the Avalon EQ), Snow (based on the newer Neve EQ), and Purple (based on the Pultec EQs)

It requires a fast computer to run many of these but of course it's always possible to freeze or bounce the track to free up resources.

Here's a link if you're interested.

https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/t/acqua/equalizer
Old 05-26-2021, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
A few years ago I discovered an Italian company, Acustica Audio, making plugins with a new kind of sampling technology that produces software that is an almost perfect replica of its hardware source. At this point, the tech works best for EQs and not as well for compression, in my opinion.

I've been using Ruby (based on the DW Fearn EQ), Amber (based on the Avalon EQ), Snow (based on the newer Neve EQ), and Purple (based on the Pultec EQs)

It requires a fast computer to run many of these but of course it's always possible to freeze or bounce the track to free up resources.

Here's a link if you're interested.

https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/t/acqua/equalizer
Hey interesting they make the plugin "Sienna" based on modeling studio speakers and rooms for use with headphones, that I linked in the previous thread about the Waves plugin for HP's,,, that, I think it was Doug Young started.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-26-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Hey interesting they make the plugin "Sienna" based on modeling studio speakers and rooms for use with headphones, that I linked in the previous thread about the Waves plugin for HP's,,, that, I think it was Doug Young started.
I trialed Sienna, along with other similar plugins and just don't see a use for it for me.

Check out one of their EQ trials, Kev. I think you'll be impressed.

IMO, they're the best software EQs made although I still use FF ProQ3 for their high pass filter and other assorted cuts because it sounds great for those uses and is very light on CPU demands.

Another excellent plugin AA makes is Ebony which includes a sampled EMT 240 Plate reverb. It's by far the best plate plugin I've heard and I believe I've tried them all. The Seventh Heaven plugin based on your Bricasti is also excellent for chambers. Sunset Chamber is extraordinarily good - their plates not so much.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I trialed Sienna, along with other similar plugins and just don't see a use for it for me.

IMO, they're the best software EQs made although I still use FF ProQ3 for their high pass filter and other assorted cuts because it sounds great for those uses and is very light on CPU demands.

Another excellent plugin AA makes is Ebony which includes a sampled EMT 240 Plate reverb. It's by far the best plate plugin I've heard and I believe I've tried them all. The Seventh Heaven plugin based on your Bricasti is also excellent for chambers. Sunset Chamber is extraordinarily good - their plates not so much.
I will give the EQ a shot thanks for heads up

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-26-2021, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I will give the EQ's a try thanks for heads up

Sunset with 60 ms pre delay is the one I use the most on my Bricasti

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD