The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-19-2021, 06:43 AM

Default Outboard Gear to Interface to Laptop to DAW

Okay, AGF, I apologize if this is a topic that has already been hashed out. Just looking for some tips.

I've recently begun to fall in love with outboard gear - preamps, compressors, eq, etc. Trouble is, all of that has to make its way to the DAW/laptop to be worthwhile!
I have a Steinberg UR44 which has 2 line inputs. I've used these for outboard preamps in the past and they work fine. But I need more than 2 channels.

Any advice or product recommendations? I've been looking into an RME product. Looks like those have 4 line inputs, some even have 8.

I am a Windows user; seems that most converter units are thunderbolt - argh.

Appreciate the help!
'50's Gibson LG-1
lukegardmusic.com
Old 05-19-2021, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukegard22 View Post
Okay, AGF, I apologize if this is a topic that has already been hashed out. Just looking for some tips.

I've recently begun to fall in love with outboard gear - preamps, compressors, eq, etc. Trouble is, all of that has to make its way to the DAW/laptop to be worthwhile!
I have a Steinberg UR44 which has 2 line inputs. I've used these for outboard preamps in the past and they work fine. But I need more than 2 channels.

Any advice or product recommendations? I've been looking into an RME product. Looks like those have 4 line inputs, some even have 8.

I am a Windows user; seems that most converter units are thunderbolt - argh.

Appreciate the help!
First understand the world of outboard FX and pre's is an open invitation to GAS

Also you may definitely want to make a list of your system and keep it somehow quickly accessible like a file on your desk top or something even if you do not put it Like I have in my signature line.. Because going forward it will be very beneficial in cutting through the fog of people having to constantly ask what you system is Which will critical in order to offer even targeted replies.

Also I am confused I just looked at Steinberg's web site and according to it, the UR 44 has for line and mic pre inputs ????????????????????

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/models/ur44.html

In any case
#1 the first thing you need to do, is decide on Budget range for now .
#2 second decide what actual pieces of gear or even types pieces you are thinking about for now .

As far as getting "into the DAW"?
There are 2 factors to consider .......
#1 the physical connections from the outboard units to the interface/converters (and if you are connecting in parallel, or in series like an FX Chain )
#2 the software setup in the DAW I/O matrix which depends on two things the specific Interface/converters and the Actual DAW and version you are using.

For example I have and 8 channel system that uses Avid Carbon as the interface, running Protools Ultimate 2012.3
I have my outboard gear ( a Bricasti M7 stereo reverb FX unit and an IGS Tubecore 3U Mastering Compressor) I have them connected via 4 channels of line inputs and outputs via the DB25 I/Os on the back of the Carbon and in full preamps bypass mode.

In my DAW they are used as inserts (just like plugins) on the tracks .

Here is a screen shot so my outboard units are the M7 Bricasti reverb on it's own parallel Aux track (third from right purple track labeled Vox verb) insert is labeled M7 as you can see its an insert into the DAW
Then second from right ( orange track) is my compressor labeled 3 U and is also an insert on my 2 Bus Aux track labeled 2 Mix and is an insert on that track

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
First understand the world of outboard FX and pre's is an open invitation to GAS

Also I am confused I just looked at Steinberg's web site and according to it, the UR 44 has for line and mic pre inputs ????????????????????

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/models/ur44.html
Haha yes, it is definitely way to easy to spend some $$ on gear with knobs to twist and sounds to make!
Those front inputs do not bypass the built in preamps. On the back, there is Input 5/6 and those are line inputs that bypass the internal preamps.
I have also heard mixed reviews on the Steinberg converters? For me and my ears, they are fine. But I'd be curious to hear some "better" converters, i.e. RME, per the internet ha
'50's Gibson LG-1
lukegardmusic.com
Old 05-19-2021, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukegard22 View Post
Haha yes, it is definitely way to easy to spend some $$ on gear with knobs to twist and sounds to make!
Those front inputs do not bypass the built in preamps. On the back, there is Input 5/6 and those are line inputs that bypass the internal preamps.
I have also heard mixed reviews on the Steinberg converters? For me and my ears, they are fine. But I'd be curious to hear some "better" converters, i.e. RME, per the internet ha
Ok so much depends on your actual intended use........ Lets start with this :::: How many mic channels do think you would record simultaneously one time ?

Ah I see so only inputs 2 bypass the mic pre's got it ...... Also you have yet to offer a budget range for an interface ?
So again how many channels of outboard gear do you reasonably expect to be getting now or in the near future ?
The inherent noise of converters can come in the form of jitter, aliasing, and or crosstalk, and any or all of these.

BUT Honestly better converters are more in context of what you don't hear
The better the converter the less of that inherent noise but you tend not to hear it as noise per. se. and don't realize until it's gone

I have no experience with RME so cannot comment as first hand

In general improvement in digital sound is a 3 factor situation, the combination of conversion , and or pre's (if you are going to use the interface's pre's,,, and quality of the analog circuits.

But in general I would suggest that in going from the lower to the mid price range interfaces (regardless of brand) it is much more a matter simply getting the number of ins and outs you need, not so much a glaring noticeable improvement in sound.
Now OTOH if you are considering spending say $3000 to $ 5000 or more on an interface alone then yes you will likely get a noticeable improvement

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-19-2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

I agree in that you should define how many channels you need for analog inputs, analog outputs, as well as digital I/O. You could start by making a diagram of what you want your system to be now, as well as how it might grow / upgrade in the future.

For example, what are all the configurations how you might connect your compressor? Do you want your converters (ADCs and/or DACs) internal to your interface or as external gear? If the converters are external gear you might need more digital I/O connections in your interface.

What are you currently using for external gear? In general, you might want your gear "quality / performance" levels to be somewhat in the same league.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD