The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-31-2019, 02:01 PM

Default Does anyone have a D18 and a J45?

So like most of us here I am always on the hunt for the 'next' one. I already have a D18 but I seem to gravitate towards a J45 when I'm out test-driving. I know I am the final judge but is there enough of a difference between the two to justify adding a J45 to the herd?
Old 10-31-2019, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

I have both though neither are standard mahogany/Sitka models. They really have a different thing going on due to the scale length and how Martin and Gibson go about building such iconic designs. A short answer is the D-18 is better for flat picking and the J-45 seems more pleasing for strumming. I have the Southerner Jumbo rather than the standard J-45 because I prefer the aesthetics.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:50 PM

Yes but no. My D-18 is from 1975 and my J-45 Custom, which has rosewood, is from 2014. A good 45 is a nice thing to own. I would try a Rosewood J-45 if you can. The short scale adds the Gibson mid-heavy growl. The Rosewood version, to me, really should be called the J-45 extra. It sounds like a great J45, but has extra of everything.
1976 Martin 000-18
1989 Martin 000-16M
2015 Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy
2012 Gibson J-45 Custom
2017 Gibson J-35
1971 Alvarez K. Yairi Classical
1970 Lou J Mancuso nylon string hybrid
Harmony Sovereign H1260
30's MayBell Model 6
Nash MW-500
1998 Yamaha LS-10
2003 Tacoma EKK9
Old 10-31-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

check in with Rokdog49 as he has both and will likely reply to your post soon. If not you could send him a PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I have a J-45 and a Martin D-18 Authentic 1937. The Gibson has been with me close to 5 years and it's primarily been my church service guitar. A great sounding, easy to play, mellow instrument, perfect for strumming and fingerpicking. The Martin I picked up a month ago, and it is a game changer. Not only is it a monster bluegrass guitar, but it is an excellent fingerstyle guitar and a decent strummer too. The volume and 'bigness' of tone is off the charts. Unfortunately for the J-45, it is now outclassed against the other instruments from Martin and Santa Cruz that I am blessed to own, and is not getting played very often.

It wasn't always this way. Against a standard D-18, I'd keep my J-45. I also once owned a Music Villa D-18 Sitka VTS custom and I still kept the J-45. And...yep same situation where I also had a J-45 Vintage for a bit and ended up selling that because I preferred the extra tonal coloring of the Sitka top over the cooked Adi on the Vintage.

But the J-45 is simply no match for the Authentics I have now, as different as they are.

Hope this helps.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 10-31-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
So like most of us here I am always on the hunt for the 'next' one. I already have a D18 but I seem to gravitate towards a J45 when I'm out test-driving. I know I am the final judge but is there enough of a difference between the two to justify adding a J45 to the herd?
Yes, very different animals IMO. I have both. My D18 has a much bigger output, much more bass, more harmonics and overtones and is generally a more direct instrument. The longer scale gives it a stiffer feel.

My J45 is drier, balanced, more quiet and much better for vocals. The shorter scale gives a much softer feel and also makes it a more comfortable guitar, especially when seated.

They both could certainly be used for anything you throw at them but they have different personalities.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 10-31-2019, 05:54 PM

Ok, these are the kind of responses I'm looking for. Thank you. I'll take more.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
check in with Rokdog49 as he has both and will likely reply to your post soon. If not you could send him a PM.
I’m replying
I own a standard D18 and a Standard J45
Everyone has their own opinions obviously. I don’t feel that one guitar is a better “anything” than the other. Both are great at anything in my book.
I dont agree that the D18 “has more bass”. The bass response in both is very good, it’s just different. D18 ...warmer bottom. Gibson ...thump!
As far as loudness, I would say the D18 gets the nod, but I don’t care, it’s not that much louder.
I think the J45 Standard is easier to play. It is a “dryer voicing” with less overtone clutter and has a certain sweetness. It is stellar for certain types of songs. The D18 a bit harder to play, but I use round core strings on mine to offset that. The longer scale isn’t that big of a deal to adjust to. It does have a rich pallet of nice overtones. It is good at strumming against bluegrass because it has that “Martin thing”. They are very different guitars that compliment each other and I am thrilled to own both.
In truth, the ratio of playing time for me is about 60-40 in favor of the J45.
Lately my recently purchase J15 has become a bit of interloper demanding some playing time too.
I don’t see any overlap with the D18 and the J45. I see two great guitars that battle each other for playing time.
My advice is add a J45 and you got it all.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 10-31-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I’m replying
I own a standard D18 and a Standard J45
Everyone has their own opinions obviously. I don’t feel that one guitar is a better “anything” than the other. Both are great at anything in my book.
I totally disagree that the D18 “has more bass” as well. The bass response in both is very good, it’s just different.
I think the J45 Standard is easier to play. It is a “dryer voicing” with less overtone clutter and has a certain sweetness. It is stellar for certain types of songs. The D18 a bit harder to play, but I use round core strings on mine to offset that. The longer scale isn’t that big of a deal to adjust to. It does have a rich pallet of nice overtones. It is good at strumming against bluegrass because it has that “Martin thing”. They are very different guitars that compliment each other and I am thrilled to own both.
In truth, the ratio of playing time is about 60-40 in favor of the J45.
Lately my recently purchase J15 has become a bit of interloper demanding some playing time too.
I don’t see any overlap with the D18 and the J45. I see two great guitars that battle each other for playing time.
This is a great answer! Thanks for taking the time to articulate.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:48 PM

I had a ‘48 D-18 and a ‘46 J-45. Both amazing but different - the D-18 had so much clean headroom, it could go as big as I wanted. My J-45 is more like playing through a tube amp: strumming past a certain force translates to more compressed mids and warmth.

I kept the J-45 and put the D-18 towards a ‘30 0-21 which is the best parlor/fingerstyle guitar for me I’ve ever played.

If you’re in Brooklyn, have you been to Retrofret?
Old 10-31-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

I have two variations of the D-18 and have owned a standard J-45. Only reason I sold the J-45 is because I found a great used Kopp K-35 and didn't need both. I think there is enough difference...one sounds like a Gibson...the other like a Martin. If you've found a great J-45 I say get it. Killer guitars!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 10-31-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
This is a great answer! Thanks for taking the time to articulate.
You’re welcome
Both guitars are like comfort food...meatloaf and fried chicken.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-31-2019, 08:16 PM

While I am never in search of the next one and I'm not a herd mentality guy, I never shy away from a great guitar. If you are in a position to buy another guitar, and the J-45 is special enough for you to want to buy it, then it's your decision. I've never played a D-18 that sounded or felt like a J-45 and vice versa. For me the D-18 has always been the sweeter easier playing go-to guitar. The J-45 is drier and more fundamental and isn't as well-rounded for my playing. Both can be lifetime no. 1 guitars for different people. I have always had to play more J-45s to find a special "got to have" one than D-18's.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
I have always had to play more J-45s to find a special "got to have" one than D-18's.
+1. For years I thought J-45s just weren’t for me. I had to play at least ten of them before I heard one that really sang. I thought “so THIS is what everyone’s talking about, but why don’t they ALL sound HALF this good???”
Old 11-01-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
+1. For years I thought J-45s just weren’t for me. I had to play at least ten of them before I heard one that really sang. I thought “so THIS is what everyone’s talking about, but why don’t they ALL sound HALF this good???”
I only had only played a few and that was a quite a number of years ago. Only one was a real dog and the strings were shot on it so I’m not sure. A couple of the others sounded pretty good, but not enough for me to want one.
In my heart I still wanted that iconic guitar so about two years ago I went looking again at a GC about an hour from where I live.
There was one hanging way up high on the wall so I knew it hadn’t been in the hands of the young and the feckless.
I asked the sales guy to get it down for me. He said it had only been there for a couple of weeks.
At first strum it was Boom!
Just to be sure and at the suggestion of the salesperson, I also tried another new one right out of the box while I was there. It sounded really good but the one from the wall was “one of those.”
I even played them against each other and asked other folks nearby for their opinions. I really didn’t have to ask, I could tell by the looks on their faces. One guy across the room smiled and said “ you already know the one.”
I can’t and won’t argue that there seems to be a “performance disparity” with J45’s. They were all nicely built and played great. I really don’t know why ones like mine just shone above the others.
All I can say is, you’ll know the difference when you experience it and if you’re lucky, it might be the first one you pick up

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion