The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2019, 07:39 PM

Default Sheeran by Lowden - Your experience playing one?

Hello - as we wait to see the Sheeran by Lowden guitars reach store and customers who pre-ordered them, I am hoping to hear comments from people who have actually played one.

I'd like to know how the S model sounds and how it compares to other Irish guitars (e.g., Lowden, McIlroy, Avalon, etc.) in general.

Thanks for any experienced comments you can share.

Cheers,
Dave
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 09-13-2019, 09:15 AM

Just bumping this up to the more current topics. I am especially interested in the S03 and S04 models and how they sound.
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 09-13-2019, 09:18 AM

Since they haven't released any, that I'm aware of, I don't see how anyone can respond.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:11 AM

Good point DenverSteve - I was told by a dealer that they expected the initial shipments in the "last half of September" for early October delivery. So, as we are approaching the middle of the month, I was hoping that some might be filtering into dealers soon.
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 09-13-2019, 11:04 AM
AGF Administrator

I saw this video posted by AGM a few hours ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KO5Grhk0W8

and I don't know if it's the horrible audio in the recording and/or the guitar itself, but I'm not terribly impressed by what I'm hearing.

Same here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs5ryxEOGzg

The S04 in this video sounds a little better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpWCJi3vUfI

Old 09-13-2019, 11:19 AM

Doesn't Martin Make a Sheeran model. Did he jump ship on Martin ?

Ed
Old 09-13-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

I was fortunate to play all of the models last January and they're lovely. I'd say they definitely capture the "essence" of the Lowden voice - clarity and brilliance.

They definitely seem to be built more "hardy" than what George is doing with the standard line. They're tighter, brighter and a little more balanced overall than your standard production Lowden. I was particularly impressed with the S size. They're very nice.

I didn't get a chance to plug them in, but acoustically they're more impressive than the vast majority of offerings in that price point. The Walnut laminate theyre using is particularly gorgeous. Many of them have lots of flame and overall visual interest. They also played quite well from the factory, though will probably need some adjustment for fingerstyle players, not unlike the marquee Lowdens.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

I played a S model and it was great. I played a bunch of $5-10K Lowdens, some Collings, Martins, Taylors and a Froggy bottom in the same session. Even after all that Filet Minon, it was still a decent steak, especially for the money.

WAY louder and crisper than I'd expected. Played great and felt a lot like my Lowden S model and those I had played just before it, as it should given the fact that it's the same exact dimensions. It was super stripped down, you can see all the corners cut (not that they are bad) to reach the price point , which is primarily accomodations made to the material quality and then no embellishments.

For what it's worth, I might still get one because I could genuinely enjoy playing it, its a Lowden for people without the big pocket book and I wouldn't be ashamed at all to have one and the price is great, in my opinion. The only better deals in comparable price ranges might be the G series from Gibson which blew me out of the water for how good they were and they are all solid with a pickup and a hard case for $999, whereas these have a VERY NICE gig bag, laminate bodies and pickups at the higher price points. Still a really nice quality instrument.

I'd actually consider getting one if I was a gigger and didn't want my high end stuff out in the wild to get hurt or stolen.

I have nothing bad to say at all and I don't look down on it as "NOT A LOWDEN". I think it's as good or better than 1 & 2 series Taylors for less money, just really a completely different design and idea, theoretically for a completely different audience.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:50 PM

I thought I might renew this thread now that the Sheeran guitars are out and available for people to play.

Thanks,
Dave
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 10-31-2019, 09:29 AM

I have my S01 on order with a dealer in the UK (I’m in the US). They arrived at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and were all sent back to Lowden to be set up. I’m told my guitar will now ship directly from Lowden to me. Perhaps that’s what’s happening at all dealers which could explain why we are not seeing many independent reviews.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcginnis View Post
I thought I might renew this thread now that the Sheeran guitars are out and available for people to play.

Thanks,
Dave
I have already posted on another thread that Moloney music in Galway have some and a video is available on their Facebook page.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:49 AM

As I've stated in another thread on these guitars, it will come down to whether one likes the sound and tone from one of these. I do not. I played them at The NAMM Show and found them to be very similar to the video samples posted by Jeremy. You can judge that tone for yourself. I will say that if you are familiar with Teja's reviews, he raves over guitars he likes - he does not here.

If you are just looking to buy a cheaper guitar by that says Lowden on it somewhere this may do you. Also, if you like the tone, this may do you. If you are a Sheeran fanboy (or girl) this may do you. I would spend less and buy a Taylor GS Mini before I would spend anything on the W-01. I would buy any number of guitars used for $1,300 over the S-04. That's because I buy for tone that I like and these don't have what I like. Listen to the videos posted by Jeremy and know that these are somewhat processed and that means the audio has been enhanced. It is better than live. So, if you dig the tone you may like them. Sample them for yourself. This is only one guitarist's opinion.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

I just wish they didn't have Ed Sheeran's name on them. I was late to his 'music' and spent several happy years not realising how appalling he is. Nice lad, awful music. I expect the 'kidults' will like his guitars. Ahhhh, that's better... good to get that off my chest.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:41 PM

I would definitely like to hear this compared with a Taylor GS Mini. (which I own) I definitely like the look and vibe.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
I just wish they didn't have Ed Sheeran's name on them. I was late to his 'music' and spent several happy years not realising how appalling he is. Nice lad, awful music. I expect the 'kidults' will like his guitars. Ahhhh, that's better... good to get that off my chest.
Well, if you like the guitar, there is always painter's tape.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion