The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
I've been impressed with the Martin Custom D. Played three of them now in my shop and all were nice guitars and they're only $899. Basically it's a bare bones Martin Dreadnaught. You can add a K&K pickup and you'll be all set.
Agreeing here with Osage. I've done a bunch of guitar festivals and oldtime jams with my Custom D, and it's always been a great live guitar unplugged.

I haven't wanted to add a pickup to it because I love how light it is, and don't want to mess with that. When I need something to plug in, I generally take my concert-size Breedlove.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:28 AM

I play my D-18 all the time at gigs. You can find used ones for around $1,500.

Mine has a Baggs Lyric and sounds great, but there are a lot of great pickup options available in the market.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-24-2019, 10:31 AM

Default 000c-16rgte

I use this auditorium sized Martin for that very purpose. If you can find one, try it out.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:50 AM

The Baggs Lyric doesn't come with that guitar. It's aftermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I play my D-18 all the time at gigs. You can find used ones for around $1,500.

Mine has a Baggs Lyric and sounds great, but there are a lot of great pickup options available in the market.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I realize that. I bought mine aftermarket and installed it myself. I just thought you were looking for options.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-24-2019, 01:10 PM

This certainly qualifies for the original post question!
Does your have the onboard (barndoor) Aura system installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasypee View Post
I use this auditorium sized Martin for that very purpose. If you can find one, try it out.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:41 AM

I put a Fishman Ellipse Aura in a lightly used Martin 000-18 - done. I downloaded the specific mic images for the guitar from Fishman's vast library, dialing in great mic'd tone in any room has never been easier. Love the 000 size body and the 000-18's spruce over mahogany makes for a very balanced voiced guitar top to bottom and plays well with vocalist accompanying. For amplified acoustic tone the combo of 000-18 Martin and a Fishman Elipse Aura is very tough to beat. I also have a GPCPA-4 with the full deep Aura, sounds amazing, a great Spruce over Rosewood guitar, the common denominator in the tone equation is the Fishman Aura, they hit it out of the park.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
You've already got the absolute best plugged-in sound with your Takamine in your sig. (IMO)

What do you want your Martin to do that your Tak doesn't? (Plugged-in wise?)
Which one listed is Takamine ?

Ed
Old 10-25-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I had an older Martin DC Aura that I bought for $1400 several years back. It looked like a Martin D-41 Cutaway but it was quite cheap in the used market. Great guitar really!! Seemed more like a $3k instrument.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 10-25-2019, 11:19 AM

If you're patient and watch - a great-priced 000-18. Short of that, any MMV you can find would be great. A 000-MMV would be great. You can also use a DRS-1 and/or DM. The DM has a laminated back/sides but works very well especially for stage work.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
So in conclusion....there really isn't any Martin for under 1.5K with a good pickup system already installed. You need to go up in price to the 18 series and above and you get the Fishman Aura Enhanced VT pickup...or...get a non pickup model, like a D15 and install the system of your choice..or...get a DI/Preamp /EQ pedal and use that to improve your tone.
I see in your sig that you have a Martin DCPA4 but no mention of a Tak EF341SC as was mentioned back in February. Is the Martin new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
If you're patient and watch - a great-priced 000-18. Short of that, any MMV you can find would be great. A 000-MMV would be great. You can also use a DRS-1 and/or DM. The DM has a laminated back/sides but works very well especially for stage work.
If we're talking about price then you have to find something used. If you're going to using it as a workhorse and taking it to places where it will get knocked around I'd recommend something with laminated or HPL back and sides. Skip the factory installed pickups in this price range because with regards to the guitar and the electronic combination you may actually be getting less than what you paid for. I haven't tried the DRS-1 but every old DM or DR than come along continues to amaze me.

OT: it annoys me when people gloss over the parameters and tell you to go with with their favorite brand. I find myself doing it as I get older. I do own a sub $1300 Martin with a sub $100 pickup (2009 Martin D-16GT with a JJB 330) though so I am speaking from experience; solid mahogany back and sides can be very delicate. I installed the JJB myself and saved a little money in doing so and while installation was virtually identical to the K&K PWM I also personally put in a slightly older Larrivee OM-03R I prefer the K&K over the JJB because it sounds fuller. That may be a function of each guitar's acoustic properties and user error in installation. If I had to go solid wood on a budget ever again I'd go with an MMV hands down.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
There was nothing in the original post that said suggestions had to have pre-installed electronics. Buy the guitar you want and the electronics you want and play away. I rarely buy guitar's with pre installed electronics because I prefer to get to know the guitar and then install what I feel is best.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:38 PM

There are plenty. Martin OMC-15ME - highly regarded stage guitar, you've already got the DPCPA-4, GPCPA-4, Martin DRSG.... there are many.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
This certainly qualifies for the original post question!
Does your have the onboard (barndoor) Aura system installed?
Yes it does...
Old 10-29-2019, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

The best Martin's I ever had for live play (and I've had more than a few) were a 000-28EC with a DTAR Wavelength Multi-Source pickup system followed by a 000-18GE Custom with a K&K but the K&K needed a lot of help.

Both pale in comparison to the Cole Clarks I use now. Like the Tak's, just a supreme guitar for live play. You can pick up new ones from Australia for right around your budget. The American dollar is really strong against the Aussie dollar right now.

But if it's got to be a Martin, probably something in 15 or 17 series with your pickup of choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion