The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-31-2019, 08:11 AM

OP here, thank you all for you suggestions. It doesn't seem like a big investment to try out most of these and see what fits. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Old 10-31-2019, 01:02 PM

I really like the BlueChip Pick TP40. It's one of their thinner picks and it's a pretty standard size. Works great for all kinds of music and it has really nice tone. Kind of expensive though...
Old 10-31-2019, 06:42 PM

It makes NO difference at all what pick you use. Any of them will be fine.

....of course I won't play a note unless I have my Ultex sharp-tip 0.90 picks...

Old 10-31-2019, 07:51 PM

Lots of consistent advice in previous replies. As many have said, start with an assortment and see what feels best.

One thing that I've discovered is that I don't want to use a lot of grip strength to hold onto a pick. Many picks have surfaces that help. Primetones with stippling (suggested by others) is one. There is another pick brand, "Cool Picks" that has a sandy surface. I think the pick itself is nylon. One other that comese to mind that I use frequently; DAVA picks. They have a large rubber gripping surface and the thickness of the rubber helps with leverage as the pick moves through the resistance of the string.

However there is one easy modification that I make to many of my picks to keep them from slipping: Scoring. I take a box knife and lightly score both sides of the picks diagonally in both directions. I can score a pick in less than a minute and for some of the picks without a gripping surface; Ultex, Tortex, etc, it can really help. Too much tension in your hand inhibits the picking action but you need to have enough "purchase" on the pick so it can drive through the strings.

Lastly, if yo uneed to "transition" from fingers to a pick, I would recommend the Herco Heavy thumbpick. Because of it's shape and thickness you can do a lot with it that you can do with a flatpick, though the flatpicks will be more agile for some things. I use a Herco when I gig when I have to go from fingerpicking to strumming, or vice versa without time to switch picks.

FYI,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pick_grooves.JPG (21.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg guitar_pick.jpg (28.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Dunlop_Americana.jpg (40.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Dava_picks.jpg (29.3 KB, 72 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-31-2019, 07:58 PM

Early on I decided I'd stick with Fender Heavy because you can get them anywhere. Then someone pointed out to me that the white ones were a little stiffer than the brown, swirly ones, and that's when I headed down the pick-grail rabbit hole. I've pretty much climbed back out now, but not entirely.

Couch Standards
Old 11-01-2019, 03:44 AM

After running the gamut of Tortex, Ultex and Primetone I have settled on Graph Tech TUSQ .88 picks. They specify them in 'deep', 'warm' and 'bright' tonalities. I prefer bright.

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/acce...graph-tech-m75
Old 11-01-2019, 08:44 AM

I like the Dunlop Flow picks .88 and 1.0.
They are a good value and always available at my local music shop within walking/biking distance.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:39 AM

Forum sponsor Strings by Mail will let you buy a large variety of single picks rather than having to commit to a whole pack.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

First off let me say that I am in no way a connoisseur of guitar picks/plectrums. I've been a fingerstyle player for years after trying early on to play with a pick and just could not do it well. Then just a few months ago I tried a pick again and suddenly I could play a little. So I'm just now foraying into the world of picks having read a bunch of threads here.

What I do want to share with you is something I just picked up off the John Pease website, a new feature they are calling 'Handsfull Of Picks' where they offer a few packages that contain a bunch of their different offerings at a great savings. There was a thread here awhile back where one of the custom pick makers was lauding the casein material picks and he said that John Pearse Fast Turtle picks (made of casein material) was a good way to try it out.

That led me to go to the John Pearse website where I discovered these multi-sample packs. I ordered and just received today the smaller 'Fancy Thinner Pick Handsfull' package which consists of 10 of their picks along with a really nice little leather pouch for $32.95. You can get it without the pouch as well for a few dollars less. It's a huge savings as the Fast Turtles and Cowboy picks alone are $10-$12 each and you 5 of those!

I literally just got these in the mail today and haven't had much of a chance to really try them out but so far I'm really digging the feel of the new 'Cowboy' pick line. There are three models and they are made of buffalo horn. I'll be giving them a go over the weekend. I've got a gig tonight but don't want to throw them into the mix for the first time at a gig!

Here's a direct link to the page - just scroll down for the various packages:

https://www.jpstrings.com/brpicks.htm
Old 11-01-2019, 04:11 PM

Like many here I’ve used Primetone and also Flow. They are very similar picks imo. Same material but shaped just a little different.
The pick I use most is the Dunlop Big Stubby Red 1.0. I like the sound and the way way it slides off the strings with less friction. You might try it for something different.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:47 PM

I've gone through so many different picks over the years and have a pick box with probably a 100 or more, loads of different types cheap and not so cheap. I end up with my old standby Fender Extra Heavy.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 11-01-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I've gone through so many different picks over the years and have a pick box with probably a 100 or more, loads of different types cheap and not so cheap. I end up with my old standby Fender Extra Heavy.
I love those for electric bass, but stores don't carry them. You order online?

Couch Standards
Old 11-01-2019, 07:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

For the OP et al:

Dunlop used to have a program where they would send you up to five different picks for free, didn't even charge freight. About five years ago, you simply called and they would do it right there on the phone. Then they had an online form.

Does anyone know if they still do that? If they do, could someone post the link?

Due to the cost of production, I don't believe they include Primetones in that offer, but they did include most of the others at the time -- Tortex, Ultex, Nylon, etc.

Hope this helps everyone. The Ultex line is IMHO the best value pick line in the industry. Great performance for very little coin.

Memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion