The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2011, 09:34 PM

Default Alvarez 12 String?

Anyone ever owned one? Reviews?
Thanks,
Jack
Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 AM

I love the Alvarez 12's, they sound great and don't cost an arm and leg. I've had an MD80-12 for about 3 months now, couldn't be happier. All solid wood, Mahogany/Spruce. This particular model may be discontinued, but there are still some out there for a great price. I did see this thread with some other experiences:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f....php?p=1920610
Pat
Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilmor View Post
I love the Alvarez 12's, they sound great and don't cost an arm and leg. I've had an MD80-12 for about 3 months now, couldn't be happier. All solid wood, Mahogany/Spruce. This particular model may be discontinued, but there are still some out there for a great price. I did see this thread with some other experiences:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f....php?p=1920610
Pat
Here is the one I have a bid on. Just wondering what you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 02-28-2011, 07:02 AM

12 strings are definitly another world than 6 strings. So many end up in closets and under beds because they tend to be a second choice and low cost appeals with them to see if people like them. These are not instruments you want to bottom dollar search for. A very good 12er is easier to play, has better intonation in most cases and isn't subject to the repair rate of many of the lower cost models. Be sure you have a good tech picked out to check it over and a decent return policy just in case. If you get a good one you'll really enjoy it, I use mine about 50% of my play time, great sound. Alverez is a good brand, but be carefull and have it checked.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 03-01-2011, 09:02 AM

I had one and loved it until I realized it had a neck issue. But, I have an Alvarez rd20 12 string that is just awesome sounding. Talk about loud! Nice booming bass which is what I like and has good jangle to it which is what I also like. The action is very low. On the AJ60 I kept wondering why I could not get the action as low as I wanted and it was because of the neck issue. It sounded good though.
Alvarez RD20S12
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AG-75
Martin 000X1AE
Cort Earth 70DE
Old 11-01-2019, 07:55 AM

Default Stay away from Alvarez for 12 string guitars

Alvarez make good quality 6 string guitars at a great value. However their 12 string guitar is NOT made well at all. I have an Alvarez AD60ce 12 string. I'm on my 3rd one. NOT because I love them so much I had to have 3, but because I keep having issues and they have to be sent back to Alvarez. I don't know if it is poor quality wood, or poorly designed bracing, but literally within a matter of a few days these guitars have developed a bulge behind the bridge along with some lifting of the bridge - all in the same spot on each guitar. I am on my 3rd guitar and this one has to go back as well because it again developed the same issue after literally 2 days. I'm not too confident about the 4th one being any better. Just in case you're wondering, I have 2 other acoustic guitars - (17 years old Martin and a 21 year old Fender) that are in excellent condition so I do know how to take care of my acoustic guitars.

The one thing I will say about Alvarez however is that they definitely honor their warranty and have not given me a hard time. Their turnaround time on sending a replacement is among the quickest I've seen by any company. As a company, that is rare these days. At this point however, I'd prefer they just issue me a refund so I could buy something else.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:38 AM

When I was looking for 12 string Alvarez was one that I considered. The dealer carried Alvarez and Takamine. So I was able to play them both side by side.

I went with the Takamine. If I didn't have the chance to play the Takamine it very well may have been the Alvarez.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 11-01-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton434 View Post
Alvarez make good quality 6 string guitars at a great value. However their 12 string guitar is NOT made well at all. I have an Alvarez AD60ce 12 string. I'm on my 3rd one. NOT because I love them so much I had to have 3, but because I keep having issues and they have to be sent back to Alvarez. I don't know if it is poor quality wood, or poorly designed bracing, but literally within a matter of a few days these guitars have developed a bulge behind the bridge along with some lifting of the bridge - all in the same spot on each guitar. I am on my 3rd guitar and this one has to go back as well because it again developed the same issue after literally 2 days. I'm not too confident about the 4th one being any better. Just in case you're wondering, I have 2 other acoustic guitars - (17 years old Martin and a 21 year old Fender) that are in excellent condition so I do know how to take care of my acoustic guitars.

The one thing I will say about Alvarez however is that they definitely honor their warranty and have not given me a hard time. Their turnaround time on sending a replacement is among the quickest I've seen by any company. As a company, that is rare these days. At this point however, I'd prefer they just issue me a refund so I could buy something else.
I doubt the OP is going to get much help from your warning since a-his post was from 2011 and b-he hasn’t been on the forum since 2014.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion