The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-31-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
I just wish they didn't have Ed Sheeran's name on them. ... Nice lad, awful music. ...
Of course "awful music" is subjective - and his subject's love it.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:50 PM

https://youtu.be/4eepXIluDTc
Old 10-31-2019, 08:18 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Thanks, Duffryn. Reposted below with YOUTUBE tags.

Three-way comparisons start at about 4:45.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:13 PM

Edit: This is a much better example of a side by side comarison than I originally posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
Thanks, Duffryn. Reposted below with YOUTUBE tags.

Three-way comparisons start at about 4:45.

I'm sorry, but with the name Lowden, I was expecting something spectacular in a small guitar. I just got through setting up my neighbor's Martin LX1E (mini Martin) and the Lowden/Sheeran doesnt' sound a heck of a lot different. The GS Mini in the review that dhalbert provided IMO is significantly better sounding than the Lowden/Sheeran.

One of the things that I think turns people off to the Taylor sound is the expanded harmonic range and sustain of harmonics. But if that's all it is, the problem is easily solved. While some of Ed Sheeran's music (IMO) is alright, I've always hated the sound of his guitar. Based on what I've heard so far I don't I feel any differently with the Lowden iteration.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 11-01-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:49 AM

The comparison video contrasting the Lowden Sheeran and Taylor GS Mini was probably the most informative video that I've seen that showcases the tonality of the Sheeran.

I previously owned a full-size cedar-walnut Lowden cutaway and have also owned a GS Mini, so the comparison was interesting to me. The Sheeran and the GS Mini are at least in the same relative ball park as far as size goes, so although not a direct apples-to-apples comparison, it's close. I was expecting the Sheeran to sound somewhat better, given that it's twice the price of the lowly GS mini. Instead, I much preferred the GS Mini's sound, finding the Sheeran to have a very strong tonality leaning in the "parlor" direction. It's not a bad thing, but you have to appreciate that particular guitar tone. I'm not faulting the Sheeran, as I think that same tonality is present in the much higher priced Waterlooo guitars. I don't own a Waterloo but I've very familiar with my friend's lovely 12 fret Waterloo and have played it many times.

I was expecting the Sheeran to have a bit fuller tone for twice the price of the GS Mini, but it left me a little underwhelmed. It sounds like most parlors I'm familiar with like the Larrivee parlors.

If anyone is gassing for the Sheeran I'd say that they should fill their need.

It does prove out to me that a parlor-size instrument is limited enough by body size that Lowden-style bracing or other magic isn't going to change the physics behind the sound anytime soon.

Last edited by Rudy4; 11-01-2019 at 08:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion