The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-24-2023, 12:33 PM

Default JJB electronic pickups ( question )

curious about these pickups -need a pick-up for a older Guild D-25 ( mahogany -with sitka top)
and heard about these pickups threw this forum. They show a 330 and a 430 , and options are smaller transducers and a larger size ( 15 or 20 mm )

I do not have a pick-up in any of my guitars ( The Guild is a perfect Work horse instrument )

Kinda new at this and curious about which model and transducers might best serve me - i know the 430 has 4 transducers , but it lists it as a steel string classical ? - is it better with 3 or 4 - any other insight ?

also wondering if a LR Baggs PARA Acoustic DI could be used with this pickup ( just happen to own one-)

Thanks for the help !

Last edited by Tony Burns; 03-24-2023 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:00 PM

I've installed JJB pickups in quite a few instruments. I've used the small diameter twin heads in several fiddles and mandolins. I put a larger single head piezo in my tenor ukulele. I've used the larger twin head pickups in floating bridge archtops, a floating bridge gypsy jazz guitar, couple banjos, large mandolin family floating bridge instruments and a double bass.

I mount the heads inside, under the soundboard opposite where the bridge feet make contact. This has worked well in all these applications. I've mostly used the PPS-200 as I often need to use a different type of output jack.

In my standard flattop guitars with pin bridges I've used the 3-head smaller diameter pickup. On my Martin I used this with a Tapastring Vintage jack. On my Eastman I used the 330.

I've been very happy with my JJB pickups through a RedEye preamp into any house system or just straight in to my Carvin AG300 with the channel set to HI Z.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:04 PM

You would want the 330, which I have in one of my guitars. The 430 is designed for classical guitars, as far as I know. It sounds great, and it's a really hot signal. I think you can get one with a volume control, if you want, as well.

You can definitely go into that Baggs DI.

I go straight into a small acoustic amp, and it sounds way better than a piezo, much more like your acoustic guitar actually sounds. It's not perfect, but for less than a hundred bucks, it's darn good.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:48 PM

Great info -im very gratefull - thank you !
Old 03-25-2023, 02:09 AM

You’ll want the 330 with the 15mm heads for your Guild.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 03-25-2023, 05:15 AM

The 330’s as others have said.
I find the JJB’s to be smoother and more natural sounding than K & K’s. They are lower in output however and I prefer to run them through a preamp.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-25-2023, 04:26 PM

I have 3 guitars with JJB pickups (the 330 models). Also have a 4th with a LR Baggs I-beam passive. I'm using a LR Baggs paracoustic DI with all. I'm sold on JJBs.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr View Post
I have 3 guitars with JJB pickups (the 330 models). Also have a 4th with a LR Baggs I-beam passive. I'm using a LR Baggs paracoustic DI with all. I'm sold on JJBs.
Question ?

15mm or 20mm ?

this will be on that older Guild D-25 ,
will it give me a fuller or louder sound with a bigger piezo
or maybe just dimension ?
Old 03-26-2023, 09:18 PM

I recommend the smaller 15 mm heads. You need to mount the heads on the bridge plate without interfering with the bridge pins, string balls or each other.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
curious about these pickups -need a pick-up for a older Guild D-25 ( mahogany -with sitka top)
and heard about these pickups threw this forum. They show a 330 and a 430 , and options are smaller transducers and a larger size ( 15 or 20 mm )

I do not have a pick-up in any of my guitars ( The Guild is a perfect Work horse instrument )

Kinda new at this and curious about which model and transducers might best serve me - i know the 430 has 4 transducers , but it lists it as a steel string classical ? - is it better with 3 or 4 - any other insight ?

also wondering if a LR Baggs PARA Acoustic DI could be used with this pickup ( just happen to own one-)

Thanks for the help !

I noted differences between the K&K Pure Mini and the JJB in a previous topic, as well as installation tips. You can find that discussion HERE.

Do look inside your guitar with an inspection mirror to make sure you have a clear area for the transducers. The smaller transducers fit most guitars but there are a few that have tiny bridge plates. You want the disks to be small enough so the edges don't contact the pins or ball ends of the strings and don't protrude over the bridge plate if possible.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-26-2023 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I am a big fan of JJB pickups. I have the 330's in four of my guitars and really like the sound. I have a K&K in my J-45 and honestly it just sounds a bit harsh to my ears. The JJB pickups are smoother and more natural sounding. I'm going to be ordering another one for my Martin 000-17 to replace the Baggs M80 I'm using in it now.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-27-2023, 08:33 AM

My small sample experience...

I have a guitar with a K&K Trinity mic/transducer combo with its own 'proprietary' preamp which has separate volumes for mic and pickup, and two outputs to separate those two signals. It can mix the two signals when connecting one cable. Does what it is supposed too do pretty well.

I have another guitar with the 330 and like what t sounds like running into my audio interface/DAW. I have been running it through a K&K Trinity preamp and it sounds pretty great. I really don't like the K&K preamp form factor- it is designed to be clipped onto a guitar strap or belt and have cables hanging down. Not what I want, really....

There are better designed preamps for running signals into a PA, pedal board, effects loops... I just haven't figured out what preamp would do the trick.

The 330 with the 15mm transducers has been my pup choice on several guitars and would be my pup choice.

Keep us posted on what you do for a preamp, please.
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Gretsch G6120T-1960
Old 03-27-2023, 08:34 AM

The JJB's are great, 15mm use a preamp,
Old 03-27-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I am a big fan of JJB pickups. I have the 330's in four of my guitars and really like the sound. I have a K&K in my J-45 and honestly it just sounds a bit harsh to my ears. The JJB pickups are smoother and more natural sounding. I'm going to be ordering another one for my Martin 000-17 to replace the Baggs M80 I'm using in it now.
Yes^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-27-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane41 View Post
The JJB's are great, 15mm use a preamp,
Yes^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification