The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How Good/Bad are you actually?
I'm really a great player. I've reached my goals 2 0.61%
I'm a great player but still working on new things 46 14.02%
I'm not great but I'm not embarrassed by my playing 197 60.06%
I'm ok with where I am and not interested in learning new things 5 1.52%
I'm not very good but I'm learning 60 18.29%
I truly suck and I always will 18 5.49%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2023, 04:16 PM

Why is this a thing. I don’t have to impress anyone, only enjoy what I’m doing and lovely instruments. I’m sensing some thinly vailed gatekeeping vibes going on.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:18 PM

I am very confidant in my ability to make music. When it comes to my ability to play any particular instrument, for my part, I just suck. There are plenty of other people who think I don't suck. But in my inner self, I always just suck. That's why I never cease striving to improve and why I am always so delighted when I notice some improvement.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

No option for me which is: I'm nowhere as close to where I want to be, but I keep at it.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:56 PM

“Hack” makes me think of people making a living as mediocrities. Which by definition is most of us in any field.

But if you’re a hobbyist, I don’t think you can be a hack.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:57 PM

If I were to go to an open mic I most certainly would not be the most entertaining.

But I haven't had anyone asking me to stop.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 03-24-2023, 05:08 PM

I play well enough to get paid for it. I don’t get hired as a guitar virtuoso, but as a singer and entertainer. I’m a solid accompaniment player, and would never describe myself as a hack.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-24-2023, 05:12 PM

I’m not a great player. I’m not a bad player, either. I can pick up an acoustic guitar and sit there and play and sing songs pretty well. I could do that for quite awhile if I had to; I know lots of songs at this point. I probably sing better than I play, and never underestimate that: a merely serviceable guitarist sounds a lot better if he’s a decent singer. And you know, that’s really the only goal I had as a teenager interested in learning to play - I just wanted to be able to grab a guitar and play and sing a couple of songs. All the other stuff that’s happened along the way, like learning to write, recording, many years of gigging in bands, is just frosting on the cake.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

"I'm not great but I'm not embarrassed by my playing"

I'm an old Brit, so not sure what a "hack" is, or means in this context.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:16 PM
Get off my lawn kid

My serious answer is that I'm not good enough to warrant comparisons to real musicians, whether professional or amateur. I just play for fun.

I think the question "Are you any good" is a pretty insulting one to someone who plays for enjoyment. (Usually asked by a muggle).

Imagine telling someone you like to read and they ask "Do you move you lips when you read?"

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-24-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbflat View Post
Why is this a thing. I don’t have to impress anyone, only enjoy what I’m doing and lovely instruments. I’m sensing some thinly vailed gatekeeping vibes going on.
No, you just didn't read my original post. In it I described how I'm tired of so many people on this forum describing themselves as hacks. Their word, not mine.

I believe this is not truly the case so I created a poll to ask people directly - do you actually suck as bad as you claim, or is this polite/false modesty? Or is everyone telling the truth and we're really as bad as we claim to be?

If the latter is the case I would wonder why people still ask us for advice.....
Old 03-24-2023, 05:22 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
....or is this polite/false modesty?
Which brings up the question - what is "false" modesty? When is modesty real?

I'd rather say I'm a "hack" and pleasantly surprise others with my recordings, than to say I'm really good, I practiced for years, I worked hard, yada yada and then disappoint with bad recordings with poor timing and frequent buzzing.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-24-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
My serious answer is that I'm not good enough to warrant comparisons to real musicians, whether professional or amateur. I just play for fun.

I think the question "Are you any good" is a pretty insulting one to someone who plays for enjoyment. (Usually asked by a muggle).

Imagine telling someone you like to read and they ask "Do you move you lips when you read?"
How about someone tells the forum "I love to read, been doing it for 50 years, but I'm really bad at it. I'm a hack reader. All my books are way above my level and I don't feel like I'm worthy of them." If you saw a half dozen multi-page posts like that a month you wouldn't be curious?

I would. It would prompt me to ask "are you really that bad or are you just saying that?"
Old 03-24-2023, 05:26 PM

it’s true that we almost have to define the word. Which in the dictionary means ordinary.

I work in the advertising field where the less-great creative people are called hacks because they simply crank out predictable stuff that does the job, more or less, but is completely undistinguished. “Hack” to me indicates a total lack of originality, honesty, or individual voice. Not a lack of skill.

In this sense, a hack cranks out a forgettable product to get a paycheck.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:30 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
How about someone tells the forum "I love to read, been doing it for 50 years, but I'm really bad at it. I'm a hack reader. All my books are way above my level and I don't feel like I'm worthy of them." If you saw a half dozen multi-page posts like that a month you wouldn't be curious?

I would. It would prompt me to ask "are you really that bad or are you just saying that?"
Oh yeah, I'm not saying your OP wasn't worthy of discussion. I'm just wondering about the "hack" thing.

I mean what are we supposed to say? I'm good, I suck, I have no idea? I'm tremendous? I'm better than 90% of anyone reading this? What's the right answer? Wait, how about I play much better than those who don't?

Every once in a while someone will post a recording in Show and Tell and say "enjoy" as if what we are about to hear is going to be a real treat.

I don't ever want to be that guy.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-24-2023, 05:50 PM

I play weekly with a couple of buddies I met in college almost 40 years ago. The bass player was a HS band geek (trumpet) and we've been playing consistently from the start (he has a great playing space). The drummer/percussionist took lessons for years as a kid as his father ran a music studio. He was with us early on and has been in and out over the years when he got married. He's looking at retirement in a few years (we are already retired) so he's ready to get back into it and has been playing almost weekly with us since January. I play acoustic guitar and have no formal training. I started in 1974.

Last night we tried seven new songs:

She's My Wife - Lyle Lovett
Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Tears For Fears
Lady Madonna - Beatles
Into The Mystic - Van Morrison
Tick Tock - The Vaughan Brothers
You Got It - Roy Orbison
Life During Wartime - Talking Heads

We hacked our way through six of the seven, with mis-cues and mistakes which were mostly from not knowing the playing structure and mechanics of the songs yet. We pretty much nailed Into the Mystic by the end of the night.

But as long as we continue to keep trying to learn them, we eventually get a version good enough to mold into our own. Some take only a few weeks of playing together and others take months to gel.

Over the years we've managed to get applause and requests for house parties, which to me says we must be doing something right.

Other songs from last night:

Tangled Up in Blue
Here comes the sun
Mama Tried
Levon
I Should Have Known Better
Son of a son of a sailor (Buffett)
Blue Collar (BTO)
Wichita Lineman
When I'm 64
Lonesome Town
Piano Man
Tequila Sunrise

What a great way to spend three hours!

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion