The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How Good/Bad are you actually?
I'm really a great player. I've reached my goals 2 0.61%
I'm a great player but still working on new things 46 14.02%
I'm not great but I'm not embarrassed by my playing 197 60.06%
I'm ok with where I am and not interested in learning new things 5 1.52%
I'm not very good but I'm learning 60 18.29%
I truly suck and I always will 18 5.49%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
The other thing is labels like beginner and intermediate. I've yet to run across anyone who will get up and announce they are advanced. I know they are out there, but at that point they generally just play and we hear and see that they are advanced, they don't have to announce it as a qualifier. But beginner and intermediate, who decides where the cut offs are? When the subject comes up it has been my experience that people can't wait to rationalize them based on their own level of playing. I haven't seen a universal consensus. I mean, just be what you are without the label.
I like your point here. Yes, was Lightnin' Hopkins 'advanced'? Was Big Bill Broonzy? Both amazing guitarists at what they did, but I'd bet neither would recognize an E flat diminished 5th with ketchup and pickles on top even if they were urinating on one!

Last edited by ewalling; 03-26-2023 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I like your point here. Yes, was Lightnin' Hoplins 'advanced'? Was Big Bill Broonzy? Both amazing guitarists at what they did, but I'd bet neither would recognize an E flat diminished 5th with ketchup and pickles on top even if they were urinating on one!

Exactly. There is no single linear measure of how good someone is. Certainly not in technical terms. There are multiple ways of being good.

Moreover, most of the musicians that we rate highly are unique in some way or another. They didn’t stop at mimicking their heroes or teachers. They developed something of their own — in effect, they added something new to what we think of as being good. They expanded the definition.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:37 PM

Original poster queries the group: Is everyone on the AGF really a hack?

Not likely. But AGF member Mr. Jelly currently admits to being one in his signature, which reads--"Another old guitar playing hack." Grin.
Old 03-26-2023, 01:58 PM

I'm frequently frustrated by my technical ability, and I have a pretty narrow repertoire. But I am capable enough of making music that sounds good to my ear that I enjoy myself. There's always another level, no matter how good one is. I frequently listen to performances that simply amaze me. As an aside, music doesn't need to be technically complicated to sound good. Strumming cowboy chords around the campfire makes everyone happy. Throw in an Em and everyone says, "How soulful!" Throw in an Asus and people say, "Exotic!". Hehe, I have my tricks...
Old 03-26-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrissom View Post
When a person says, “I’m really not very good” they are looking for someone to reply “no man, you are great”

It’s an off handed way of fishing for compliments.
Or perhaps they're just at level 2 of the 4 levels of competence theory.

1.Unconscious incompetence (Ignorance)
2. Conscious incompetence (Awareness)
3. Conscious competence (Learning)
4. Unconscious competence (Mastery)

Old 03-26-2023, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Everybody has to start somewhere. John Lennon (18) and Paul McCartney (16) were impressed by 15 year old George Harrison because he could play B7!

Constant discussions about how poor members think they are at playing guitar do nothing for making progress. Instead, how about the opposite and being proud of how you’ve developed and how you can improve on that.

James Taylor admits he rarely plays up the neck. Paul McCartney says he can’t fingerpick. I don’t think anyone would consider them poor players. I can walk on a stage and accompany myself quite competently but I’m no Jimi Hendrix, Tommy Emmanuel or Martin Simpson. Neither John Prine or Bob Dylan could or can play to that standard. Would you call them poor players?

Practice is much more enjoyable when you’re in a positive frame of mind.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 03-26-2023, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Yes, enough already. My guitars are probably slightly better than I, but I have the money and they have tone and beauty that make me enjoy them.

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 03-26-2023, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biotechmgr View Post
Yes, enough already. My guitars are probably slightly better than I, but I have the money and they have tone and beauty that make me enjoy them.
Thanks.........
Old 03-28-2023, 06:00 PM

I consider myself an intermediate player but I sure don't consider myself great by any stretch. Sometimes I get a pretty good sound out of my guitar though, in tune and on time. Sometimes
Old 03-28-2023, 06:15 PM

If you measure it as a ratio of skills to the total $ spent on guitars, then yes, I’m willing guess most of us are over guitar-ed hacks. I know I am.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:21 PM

I didn't vote. I'm such a prick that there aren't enough categories for me.

I'm definitely not great. I'm not one of these new breed of guitar athletes, nor am I one of the old breed who can play seemingly anything instantly. Nevertheless, I am a fairly accomplished, and I'm always learning new things. I can and do make music that makes me and others happy, and that's the most important thing to me.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 03-30-2023, 06:46 PM

I can hold my own 5 gigs a month. Like any other endevour, say golf for example, the vast majority of players fall right in the middle of the bell curve. I would venture to say that holds true for most of us here. Sure there the true professionals, the scratch handicap guitar players if you will, that are here, but others like myself are average to above average, love to play, love to collect and love the camaraderie that is the music community.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

I feel skill wise I get a good return on what effort and time I put into it.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-30-2023, 09:05 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I’m just glad almost 20% admit they are hacks like me. After 6,697 posts (and counting) and nine years on this forum I finally feel at home.

Old 03-31-2023, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxan View Post
I can hold my own 5 gigs a month. Like any other endevour, say golf for example, the vast majority of players fall right in the middle of the bell curve. I would venture to say that holds true for most of us here. Sure there the true professionals, the scratch handicap guitar players if you will, that are here, but others like myself are average to above average, love to play, love to collect and love the camaraderie that is the music community.
As has been mentioned, some of it has to do with the categories- "Likert" scales like this can be problematic. The top two are both the same playing level, "great". Also we have different ideas of what "great" is. I'd like to hear from the two who have accomplished their goals. What does that feel like?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion