The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-22-2023, 08:08 AM

Default 10-Band vs. 7-Band EQ pedals

I use a Boss GE-7 pedal that works great as a preamp and the 7-band EQ helps me dial in the best sound for each guitar. I recently started using two guitars during my live shows. This causes some issues due to my guitars having different pickup systems, requiring different EQ. I'm considering buying the Boss EQ-200 pedal that came out a few years ago. It has the ability to store different EQ settings so I can quickly switch the EQ during a live show.

I'm mostly interested in the feature allowing me to save different presets, but it also has a 10-band EQ.

What is your experience with a 10-band vs 7-band EQ? Is it helpful to dial in the sound, or do the additional 3-bands not make a difference? The EQ-200 is more than double the price of the GE-7, so I'm trying to decide if it is worth the upgrade.
Custom MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor

Last edited by aschroeder; 03-22-2023 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:11 PM

I had both at different times a 7 and a 10…got rid of both. Got tired of adjusting them.
Base Mid and Treble is all I need, simple and easy.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-22-2023, 05:17 PM

Not on your list, but the Source Audio EQ2 should be a consideration. It is very compact and in addition to the four quick presets you can store and access from the front of the pedal, it also allows you to treat each band of EQ as a full parametric. I use one as a preamp for my resonator guitar.

I originally just wanted to keep it simple to three bands, but playing with the deep editing I realized that the parametric control was a huge benefit. You can place the frequencies exactly where you need them, and adjust the Q to give you way more control than a graphic EQ with much more bands would. Great for feedback control and tweaking odd resonances.

Maybe the Boss offers that feature - I'm not sure?

- Douglas C.

1998 Larrivée C-09
1977 Gibson MK-35
2020 Breedlove Wildwood Concertina
2003 Guild JF30-12
Kremona Verea VA Crossover Nylon
2005 Rogue Biscuit Resonator
1960's Harmony Patrician Archtop
2008 Eastman AR810-7 Archtop
Old 03-22-2023, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave View Post
Not on your list, but the Source Audio EQ2 should be a consideration. It is very compact and in addition to the four quick presets you can store and access from the front of the pedal, it also allows you to treat each band of EQ as a full parametric. I use one as a preamp for my resonator guitar.

I originally just wanted to keep it simple to three bands, but playing with the deep editing I realized that the parametric control was a huge benefit. You can place the frequencies exactly where you need them, and adjust the Q to give you way more control than a graphic EQ with much more bands would. Great for feedback control and tweaking odd resonances.

Maybe the Boss offers that feature - I'm not sure?
Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually just looking at the Source Audio EQ2. It may be the better option for me. It has a much smaller footprint and I like the customizable parametric EQ with the desktop software. My biggest gripe with the Boss EQ-200 is the manual sliders don't move when you switch between your presets. So it is impossible to adjustment one of the saved preset on the fly. I would have to manually move all of the sliders to the correct positions.

I don't love the one knob and one footswitch to control everything on the Source Audio pedal. But I would be using the software to setup everything and the knob would only be needed to make adjustments when at a gig.
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

Old 03-23-2023, 03:39 AM

If you’re playing live, you might look into something like a Radial ToneBone that gives you two separate pre-Amp sections so you simply choose the one you want.

Multiple guitars are their own trick.
Old 03-24-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkrugjr View Post
If you’re playing live, you might look into something like a Radial ToneBone that gives you two separate pre-Amp sections so you simply choose the one you want.

Multiple guitars are their own trick.
That would have been a wise choice in the beginning. But I already have a boss LS-2 line selector to switch between two guitars and add gain to each input as needed. I essentially have 3 pedals to do the job that the Radial ToneBone does by itself.

I've decided to go with the Boss EQ-200. There is good and bad with it and the Source Audio EQ2. But the biggest factor for me is the EQ2 is a huge pain to adjust in a live setting. I could get everything setup on my computer and get to a gig where my EQ settings don't work in the room. The ability to quickly use the manual sliders on the Boss to make quick adjustments gives it the edge for me. Plus I've always had very good luck with Boss pedals.
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

Old 03-25-2023, 11:20 AM

I don't think there's a "wrong" choice between the Boss and Source Audio at this point. Both are HIGHLY capable.

My approach "intent" with the SA EQ2 was to to do all the fiddly baseline adjustment and save it as a preset, then use the tone controls on my Fishman amp or at the board to compensate for the individual room quirks. My preset is complex with narrow cuts and boosts I had to scrutinize and spend time on - for the room I was figuring it would be "more treble" or "less bass" type of fixes.

Reality is that I never adjust the controls on my amp because I'm busy with other stuff, and the FOH (if there is one) is taken care of by someone else and I never know if/what they've adjusted. They get a line out from the amp that is before and adjustments done on the amp. That's been good enough for me, but I only play out occasionally.

I'd be interesting in hearing about your experience with the Boss after you've played with it a bit!

- Douglas C.

1998 Larrivée C-09
1977 Gibson MK-35
2020 Breedlove Wildwood Concertina
2003 Guild JF30-12
Kremona Verea VA Crossover Nylon
2005 Rogue Biscuit Resonator
1960's Harmony Patrician Archtop
2008 Eastman AR810-7 Archtop
Old 03-25-2023, 12:38 PM

Hi,

I would buy a second GE7. It´s easy to use and it works.

If it is possible to store something on a unit, it is not for me.

cu

erniecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification