The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-19-2023, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Lemon vs Linseed oil on new fretboard?

This is a companion/2nd post in this section on some work I’m having done on a 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe guitar. I’m having the worn original fretboard replaced with a new rosewood one. My repair guy, whose’s also a friend, told me he’ll be using lemon oil for the fretboard when I asked. I’ve been using StewMac’s Fretboard Finishing Oil on my other guitars fretboards about twice a year. The bottle lists linseed oil first on its contents along with some other agents which I think it must actually be “boiled” linseed oil as it says it drys in 24 hours. Any thoughts on using lemon oil vs the StewMac Fretboard Finishing oil for a new rosewood fretboard?
Thanks!
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)

Last edited by Brushwood; 03-19-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:10 AM

"lemon oil" is generally just mineral oil that's been scented. I would just use plain mineral oil and wipe off the excess.

Linseed oil, boiled or not, tends to be sticky and a dirt magnet. I would not put it on an instrument fretboard.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 03-19-2023, 02:36 PM

This re-animated zombie thread from earlier this month deals in detail on the subject.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Putting oil on the fingerboard attracts dirt and shortens the life of your strings. It does nothing positive for the wood. I do not do it or recommend doing it. Keeping the playing surface clean with 0000 steel wool also burnishes the wood nicely, and is what I recommend.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:15 AM

The only thing I use on an FB is Howards Feed wax and I only ever use that on new guitars or refrets that have been resurfaced. I agree with Bruce here. There is almost never any need to oil a fret board.
Old 05-07-2023, 03:07 PM

Well, I've been using Dunlop 65 Lemon Oil on my guitars since I started playing in 2014. I only change strings if one breaks, or if I buy a used guitar with strings needing replacement. So, when it's fret leveling and/or dressing time, when done, it's oiling time. I use an old, soft toothbrush and t-shirt rag, and it not only cleans and hydrates the fretboard but cleans the frets. I cannot imagine any fine wood from gun stocks to furniture that cannot benefit from a cleaning and oiling, certainly that includes fretboards.
Old 05-08-2023, 06:04 AM

If Lemon Oil comes from lemons, Where does Baby Oil come from?
Old 05-08-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Putting oil on the fingerboard attracts dirt and shortens the life of your strings. It does nothing positive for the wood. I do not do it or recommend doing it. Keeping the playing surface clean with 0000 steel wool also burnishes the wood nicely, and is what I recommend.
Well, it does make it shine a little more for a few weeks!

As a sometime woodworker, I completely agree with what you say. There is a myth out there that oil somehow "feeds" the wood, or that the natural oils in wood somehow need to be replenished. This not only applies to fretboard products, but also things like cutting board or butcherblock oils, which are usually mineral oil, which, as far as I can tell, is the main ingredient in most commercial fretboard treatments.

BTW, real lemon oil can even damage frets, and Martin warns against using it on fretboards. Of course, most of the products sold as lemon oil, as has already been pointed out, are just mineral oil with lemon scent added.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-08-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySaki View Post
I cannot imagine any fine wood from gun stocks to furniture that cannot benefit from a cleaning and oiling, certainly that includes fretboards.
Oil provides only minimal protection for wood, and at best lasts for a few weeks. Oil, by itself, either doesn't cure (mineral oil) or cures very slowly (tung oil, linseed oil, unless processed). Furniture is usually protected by curing finishes such as shellac, varnish, lacquer, or oil-varnish blends. Adding oil on top does nothing other than making the surface oily.

If you want to protect your gun stock, I'd recommend a fast-curing polymerized oil such as Tru Oil, which, since it cures hard, provides a significant amount of protection to the wood.

BTW, for anyone interested, the best, most comprehensive source of information on wood finishing that I have found is Bob Flexner's book "Understanding Wood Finishing."

https://www.foxchapelpublishing.com/...dition-sc.html

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-08-2023, 01:36 PM

Oil your fretboard by playing it, all over, every day.

As a painter, I use linseed oil a lot, and I'd never want it anywhere near my guitar. Stuff stays oily for a LONG time.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-08-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySaki View Post
Well, I've been using Dunlop 65 Lemon Oil on my guitars since I started playing in 2014. I only change strings if one breaks, or if I buy a used guitar with strings needing replacement. So, when it's fret leveling and/or dressing time, when done, it's oiling time. I use an old, soft toothbrush and t-shirt rag, and it not only cleans and hydrates the fretboard but cleans the frets. I cannot imagine any fine wood from gun stocks to furniture that cannot benefit from a cleaning and oiling, certainly that includes fretboards.
The Dunlop stuff is very popular for a reason. Light oil is a powerful cleaning agent for all the gunk we don't want on our fretboards. The wood does not need to be "fed", it is dead already.
Old 05-14-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
If Lemon Oil comes from lemons, Where does Baby Oil come from?
My uncle, dead serious, tried to tell me that oil comes from rocks citing "mineral oil" as evidence.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Oil provides only minimal protection for wood, and at best lasts for a few weeks. Oil, by itself, either doesn't cure (mineral oil) or cures very slowly (tung oil, linseed oil, unless processed).
I guess that means that the Dr. Duck's Ax Wax I've been using on fretboards is just a waste of time and money. But it does make them prettier.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT View Post
I guess that means that the Dr. Duck's Ax Wax I've been using on fretboards is just a waste of time and money. But it does make them prettier.
It does make them prettier.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair