The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-21-2022, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Default Cutting your chops in a church band

I would say I'm an advanced beginner and have an opportunity to join our church band. I feel this would be a challenge and a good opportunity to improve by playing with others.

Anyone else earned their stripes by starting in a church band and what was the experience like?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2022, 08:15 AM

Not quite the same as where you're heading but I'd like to share. I've been playing for many years, played 1,000s of shows/gigs, etc.

I think no matter what path you take; this will probably be one of the things you will never regret doing.

First thing to keep in mind. It's not about performing, it's about the ministry. The goal is to bring the music to the congregation during the service.

It's really not about "us" as performers.

In my situation, (which is a typical roman catholic parish) it wasn't about joining the church band. It was about being an accompanist to the Music director who was directing a choir, and had about 4 or 5 cantors.

So it was just Craig (director) and me playing instruments.

The choir got nixed during covid, so after that it was just Craig, me and the cantors.

I loved doing this work with these people however. They have all become very good friends of ours (me, my wife)

One thing it did for sure was made me read better. The music in a roman catholic mass is quite structured, need to play what is written most of the time.

So that was a big + for me, I always wanted to get better at sight reading but was too lazy and undisciplined to make it happen. This changed all that.

As I've been playing since I was a kid, at this point... my chops are my chops.. so not a lot to say there,

Craig left for another parish in September and the new guy, while he's a very nice guy and good at what he does, he's not contemporary.

So I've stepped aside for now. It's just not a fit for Guitar and traditional hymns when played on the pipe organ (digital one, but still a pipe organ)

so my journey ended, if I had the chance, I'd probably do it again though.

I don't think you will regret it, but there may be challenges ahead.

Find where you fit, and don't make it about you. I not saying that you would but this is something a lot of musicians join these things, may not do so with the right perspective and expectations.

Just try and remember, it's about the ministry first, the chops you bring are way down in the list. Not pretending to know your situation, but I think for many of these, the focus and goal is the same.

I do think it will help you in the paths you want to go though. A lot depends on the director, so take queues from them.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 12-21-2022 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
I would say I'm an advanced beginner and have an opportunity to join our church band. I feel this would be a challenge and a good opportunity to improve by playing with others.

Anyone else earned their stripes by starting in a church band and what was the experience like?

Thanks!
Hi gb…
Yes, for the past 45 years.

Didn't earn any stripes, but learned a lot of lessons playing with people of varying degrees of musical talent and knowledge, who are wonderful folks for the most part.

It's been a great experience. As not only a musician but an active guitar teacher, I've been able to help a number of players go from accompanist to band leaders. And I've been privileged to play with amazingly talented people who give freely of their time to improve the music of their congregations.

My wife and I have dozens of continuing relationships with musicians from our city and from our congregation and other congregations we have been friends with for over 4 decades.

Also met a small number of show-offs along the way who either changed their attitudes or their location.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-21-2022, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Aside from the important role you get to play in leading others to God through worship, strictly from a "building chops" standpoint, any opportunity to play with others will help you get better. If you have really strong members, that will help you even more as they'll likely teach you stuff or, at a minimum, push you harder/faster to get up to a higher level. Depending on the type of music your church does, you can also get exposed to different styles which will force you to adapt and grow.

it's an all around great opportunity.

I'm a decent player and have been playing a long time. Church is my only "gig" for lack of a better word, so without it, i'd not really have any opportunity to play with others and in front of others at this stage of my life, so it's such a great thing to have that opportunity because of the many ways it's fulfilling.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:46 AM

I was the 'big push' 20 years ago, maybe longer, to get guitars on stage and playing. It finally happened on a regular basis about 15 years ago and prior to that it was just special occasions.

For the last 15 years I've been on stage every service playing in our Praise Band (Southern Baptist). About 5 years ago we went to in ear monitors and a click track. I'm not a big fan of that but that's what our Worship Pastor wants so that's what we do.

We generally have two acoustics, two electrics, drums, bass, keyboard and 3-5 singers, all with IEM's. If I've gotten nothing else out of this, besides the worship side of it all, it's learning how to play with others and to keep better time.

I thought I was pretty decent at keeping time when all this began but quickly learned that I wasn't, that I could no longer speed up or slow down whenever I wanted, that we had to play together to get a good sound.

Most of our music is the same 5-6 chords over and over and on one song out of 20 I get to lead with fingerpicking but it's very enjoyable and a true blessing to be a part of this group.

Go for it - you won't regret it!

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 12-21-2022, 10:03 AM

I don't play in worship bands. However, I do play local jams. Anytime you can play with others it will only expand your musical abilities.

Jump at the chance, you won't regret it.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 12-21-2022, 10:05 AM

When people ask where can I find others to play with or start a band I always mention looking at churches with strong praise and worship programs. Most of the musicians there grew up playing rock, blues or jazz and wouldn't mind returning to their roots.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 12-21-2022, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

I too was in a church ensemble -- Basically myself and one other guitarist supporting a talented children's choir. That all disbanded when Covid hit and a new music director came in and took the parish back to traditional piano and organ music. But it was fun while it lasted for several years. Playing with other guitarists helps get your fingers moving and will correct any timing issues you have.

Also, you learn that the singers are in charge, not the guitarist. Sometimes you have to adjust on the fly and improvise, and that's a good thing.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-21-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post

Thanks!
Yessir, lots to be learned there!
- Use your ears and listen, a lot, to what others are doing. Know the melodies ...know them well.
- Find the pockets. Watch the vocals as they drive, you ride.
- Listen between the lines of what your worship leader wants, what is his vibe. Understanding how he approaches the music will help you (as every leader is different, to say the least).
- Embrace the challenge. You may be with a mixed bag of modest experience here but a seasoned pro there, one with no formal training and one with a MA in music. It's great experience, and I learned a bunch over the decades.

Edward
Old 12-21-2022, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I think accompanying church music is generally a good learning experience. Learning to communicate well with others is always a good thing, and guitar players tend to be a little weak in that area. The experience helped me be a better reader and a more disciplined musician.

- Glenn
Old 12-21-2022, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Well, for me it was what they used to call "folk mass" in the early 70s. Didn't really cut my chops there because I had already played Greenwich Village clubs before that . . . but what I did learn, since we had no actual musical leader, was how to organize non-schooled wannabe singers into harmonizers.

I didn't teach musical theory per se, but if I wanted someone to start singing a song on say, a major third, I'd find a popular song that started on a major third and have them imagine starting their song with the same note. Once they got the hang of it I had them repeat it to imprint the part. It worked more than it didn't.

So I suppose I started to develop some teaching chops that I never followed up on.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:11 PM

I've been playing guitar for almost 44 years, and had ensemble experience (on brass instruments) before I started playing guitar. I'm a bit late to the church band game (I started playing at a local Catholic church in 2019). I'm a big fan of playing music with other musicians, and doing so at church more than fills that desire for me. At the mass I usually play at (on Saturday night), the musicians are usually myself on guitar (and singing the occasional vocal part), the music director on piano or organ, and the cantors. Occasionally musicians who play at other masses (such as a drummer, bass player, flutist, or trombone player), will also play during the mass I play at.

With weekly changing song lists (other than the chant/cantor material - the same chants/songs usually are performed for several weeks in a row), playing in the church band keeps me on my toes with either learning new songs, or knocking out the playing rust for songs I haven't played in some time. With Christmas happening this weekend, I've been asked to play for the third year in a row at the Christmas Day mass - complete with several other instrumentalists, and the full choir. I hope the music director doesn't wait until the last minute, to send the song list out - I not only have to practice to make sure that I am up to snuff for the music we will play during mass, but there are several additional songs that we will be performing on livestream before mass, that I will also need to practice.

As was mentioned earlier, you seldom play lead guitar - you are there to musically support the cantors and/or choir, and add to the sound of the music in general. You also need to develop musicianship (the musical ability to adapt to unexpected musical situations, on the fly). In my case, this means dealing with a musical director, who occasionally likes to play songs in keys other than the typical keys the songs are written in.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 12-22-2022 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

I've been playing at blended and contemporary services since March of 2010. I've learned quite a lot looking back. Definitely broadened my guitar skills and helped me better understand the dynamic of playing with others. I hope I can continue until I'm no longer of use. The bonds created with the other musicians is amazing and they are family now.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-21-2022, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

I think the friends made playing church music over time may be even more important than the musical lessons learned.

- Glenn
Old 12-21-2022, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I think the friends made playing church music over time may be even more important than the musical lessons learned.

- Glenn
I think you're right Glenn!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion