The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF For Sale - Rest of World (outside US)

Old 02-01-2023, 08:16 AM

Default Sold: John Hullah OM/00 acoustic guitar (ex Fylde)

Wonderful shorter scale (roughly 24 inch) OM/00 acoustic guitar by ex-Fylde luthier John Hullah. Made in 1984 with a solid cedar top and solid mahogany back and sides, it has a wonderful tone and playability. Fretboard has been cleaned and oiled and restrung with new John Pearse 12's. In standard tuning but also sounds great in DADGAD.

The neck is straight and the guitar is structurally sound, with a pick up installed. The guitar is nearly 40 years old so there is some cosmetic wear to the soundboard, as you'd expect with a cedar topped guitar of this age.

The sound is warm and clear and it's a joy to play. The best acoustic I've ever owned or played by some distance.

The guitar has a zero fret - something that all Fylde guitars also have. The zero fret really helps the intonation and stops some of that weird tuning instability you can get on guitar G strings.

The action is low - 0.080 inches on the low E and 0.060 on the high E at the 12th fret, so it's very playable with excellent intonation across the frets.

Comes with a Hiscox standard acoustic hard case.

Price: £1500. Now sold elsewhere.

Last edited by domforr; 04-06-2023 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

I'd love to hear recordings in both standard and Dadgad.

It has a fine look to it.

It's hard to tell the nut width and string spacing from the photos. Can you confirm, I don't think you listed them, but perhaps I missed it.

Stuart
Old 02-03-2023, 06:22 AM

Hi Stuart,

Yes, it's a fine guitar. The nut width is 45mm (1 ¾”) and the string spacing is 54 mm (2.125 inches I think - not really used to converting from metric).

I don't think I have any recordings apart from the album I used it on: https://nettlebone.bandcamp.com/releases

It's very much background in these tracks though as the main instrument was an Irish Bouzouki. I'll see if I can find anything clearer.

Cheers, Dom
Old 02-03-2023, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

So I think that is 2 2/16 at the bridge? I'm usually playing guitars that are around 2 5/16. It looks wider than that, you may want to measure.

thx,

Stuart
Old 02-03-2023, 12:35 PM

Does the fretboard have no radius (flat)? Sure looks like it.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:36 PM

Yep, I measured at the saddle and it was 54mm from middle of high E to middle of low E

Dom
Old 02-03-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywalker View Post
Does the fretboard have no radius (flat)? Sure looks like it.
Yep, it is quite flat. I find it very playable and smooth, but these things are all subjective I suppose.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF For Sale - Rest of World (outside US)

Tags
acoustic, folk, fylde