The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Pioneertown Half Marathon - John Wayne Grit Series

I finished the John Wayne Grit Series Pioneertown Half-Marathon for the third time yesterday. My time was nothing to write home about as I used to run full-marathons faster than that twenty-five years and twenty-five pounds ago.

I found this year’s event to be particularly challenging. I am not sure if it is because I am another year older, or whether the constant stream of atmospheric rivers (a/k/a Pineapple Expresses) disrupted my planned training so much.

I tend to think it was the extra year. In training I had been able to notch several ten to eleven mile hikes in rugged terrain gaining over 1,600 feet in altitude. For some reason the after-effects of this particular event are still lingering. I arrived home and went to be exhausted at 8:00 PM, slept until 4, woke up for a few minutes, then slept until 8:00 AM. I did a couple of chores then slept from 10:00 AM until 11:30 AM this morning.

Part of it may have been that I did not do much running while training. However, climbing up the east side of the Sawtooth range I began to break a sweat. Upon reaching the crest, the west wind swept down from the snow-covered San Bernadino mountains a few miles to the west and literally chilled me to the bone. I could not get down the back slope of that range fast enough. My arthritic knees began to cry out against the impact of my slow dog trot. I think I aggravated some old knee issues in my haste to get out of the wind.

Heading home I must say that Mount San Jacinto is quite impressive. It rises over 10,000 feet from the desert floor a few hundred feet above sea level. Base to peak is significantly greater than many of the Colorado 14k footers because it starts from almost sea level.

This is my sixth of the Grit Series Half-Marathons. The other location I attend is in the Alabama Hills region near Mount Whitney. The locations are all iconic film shoot areas from the old John Wayne movies. The training does keep me motivated, though the results keep getting steadly slower.

Below, the actual course and a training trail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 8.46.34 PM.jpg (86.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 8.46.13 PM.jpg (68.1 KB, 28 views)
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 03-29-2023, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your finish. The pics look like it was a great race!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic