The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-26-2023, 02:33 PM

Default Taylor Expression System 2 vs Cole Clark 3-way amplification

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a new acoustic guitar and I'm torn between two options: a Taylor with the Expression System 2 and a Cole Clark with the 3-way amplification system. I plan to use the guitar primarily for live performances, but I also want to have a great acoustic sound (without amplification).

I've played both guitars in person and I must say that the Taylor sounds fantastic acoustically, but I feel like the Cole Clark really shines when it's amplified. However, I'm not sure if the difference in amplification quality is significant enough to justify choosing the Cole Clark over the Taylor.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with these two guitars in a live setting and could offer some insight on how they perform. Is the difference in amplification quality noticeable to an audience, or is it more of a subtle difference? And is the Taylor still a better choice for its superior acoustic sound, even if the amplification is not quite as good as the Cole Clark's?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-26-2023, 02:41 PM

What are you going to use the guitar for most of the time?
If I were buying a guitar to gig with only, it would be a Cole Clark. The consensus is in a live scenario and amplified, they are hard to beat.
If I were buying and owning only one guitar for multiple uses, and those were my choices, it would be the Taylor. Taylor’s are good when amplified.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-26-2023, 02:48 PM

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that if you want to change the amplified sound, there's lots of things you can do (get a Tonedexter, play with EQ, etc.)

If you want to change the acoustic sound, you (roughly) need another guitar.
Old 03-26-2023, 02:59 PM

If having a fantastic unplugged tone is a priority then I would be looking at the guitar first and the pickup second. I personally would probably go Taylor and ES2. It's not the absolute best pickup out there but it sounds nice and full, it's pretty plug and play and you will have a great acoustic for unplugged playing.

It does also depend on how much you are spending. If you get a cheaper Taylor then the acoustic/unplugged tone won't matter as much. I would only get a Taylor in the 300 and up range.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

The Cole Clark is much better plugged in IMO.

I have a guitar for stage and one fully acoustic now. Best to keep them separate.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:03 PM

Default Taylor 714ce and CC angel 2

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and insights.

Just to clarify, the specific models I'm considering are the Taylor 714ce and the Cole Clark Angel 2.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy903 View Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and insights.

Just to clarify, the specific models I'm considering are the Taylor 714ce and the Cole Clark Angel 2.
It also depends on the woods that the CC is made from…
Old 03-26-2023, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I'd go for the Taylor 714ce as it's likely a better-sounding acoustic and the ES2, when dialed in, sounds really good.

My only Cole Clark was a 2008 Fat Lady 2A, with the Face Brace/Takmine-like UST assembly, dual-source system. It sounded OK amplified but was a bust acoustically.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-27-2023 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-26-2023, 06:03 PM

I've got a 324ce and a FL1E-BM. I much prefer to play the Cole Clark plugged in.

The Cole isn't bad unplugged. The Taylor is better unplugged.

I'd go for the Cole Clark.

Even with the LR Baggs Voiceprint DI, the Taylor es2 is lacking plugged in compared to many other guitars I own.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 03-26-2023 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2023, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

I would always choose based on acoustic tone. It is a true product of the laws of physics. Amplified tone starts with acoustic tone and is modifiable at multiple steps along the entire signal chain. Especially with the tools available today. JMO, of course.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-26-2023, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Aaron, what is your preference?
Old 03-26-2023, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Aaron, what is your preference?
All Blackwood as it amplifies well and is sturdy but then people will say the guitar is not resonant. That’s why I think it’s worth having a guitar for stage use.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I would always choose based on acoustic tone. It is a true product of the laws of physics. Amplified tone starts with acoustic tone and is modifiable at multiple steps along the entire signal chain. Especially with the tools available today. JMO, of course.
I have found that sound resonant acoustic guitars don’t amplify as well as less resonant guitars. A lot of it depends on the type of show and the venue as well.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:19 PM

I only played two Cole Clarks, one FL3, one FL2 and one AN(2?). The FL2 was very good acoustically, The FL3 nice, the AN was just ok. Amplified I think, they are the best you can get.
Aside of that, I agree completely with Aaron, especially a less resonating top helps a lot on loud stages.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 03-27-2023, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

I've owned or played all the guitars mentioned. For amplification the Cole Clark wins hands down. The Taylor will, generally speaking, sound better acoustically. The Angel is the best of the Cole Clark models acoustically due to its lighter build and larger soundhole. The Taylor can sound decent amplified although I always find their signal output to be very low. The Cole Clark proprietary 3-way pickup is the best I've ever played.

I much prefer the Cole Clark all-blackwood models myself. Make sure you buy used. Cole Clarks just don't hold their value so you can buy them for way less than you will spend buying new so if you buy new you'll take a beating when you sell. Also, the Cole Clark's have a satin finish which some don't like. I actually prefer a satin finish. Conversely, the Taylor has a gloss finish and definitely looks prettier. It will also hold its value better when selling.

If you can find one to test, I'd try to play the Cole Clark Angel first. They don't sound bad, just different then most people are used to. But for amplification, they just can't be beat. Maton or Takamine are other great guitars with outstanding pickup systems for great amplification but have a more traditional (and therefore 'better') acoustic tone. They are worthy considerations.

Last edited by Methos1979; 03-28-2023 at 02:09 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
3-way, angel 2, cole clark, expression system 2, taylor 814ce