The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2023, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

We all have our opinions and preferences. While having a string fail the first time you try a new brand kind of sets a poor precedence, I do however like the sound and feel of these Sunbeams on my mahogany Taylor AD27. I may give them another try. Would have been considerate if the company had shown a little courtesy and responded to my email. I know in the big scheme of things 1 failed A string from some dude in the cornfields is not a big deal...but still.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 03-25-2023, 02:31 PM

I get it, though I personally would never stop buying g a product like strings if a brand didn't email me back, however it is nice when they are concerned about even one random customer. I once had a pack of Elixirs missing a string, I emailed Elixir and they took my word for it and immediately sent me a brand new pack. That effort does go a lo g way and really made me respect the brand.
Old 03-25-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBman View Post
We all have our opinions and preferences. While having a string fail the first time you try a new brand kind of sets a poor precedence, I do however like the sound and feel of these Sunbeams on my mahogany Taylor AD27. I may give them another try. Would have been considerate if the company had shown a little courtesy and responded to my email. I know in the big scheme of things 1 failed A string from some dude in the cornfields is not a big deal...but still.
Years ago I bought a set of DR strings for 12-string guitar - the plain strings were all showing signs of corrosion - I emailed them pictures - they got back to me promptly and explained my strings were in an older design packaging now upgraded - they apologized and arranged to send me a new set in the revised packaging - they also noted my guitar was a Guild which pleased them as DR strings are the descendants of Alfred Dronge, founder of Guild guitars - new set received - I'm in Australia.

p.s. Some time later I did suggest to them the possibility of them producing the Sunbeams in a 12-string set - they got back to me saying no plans to produce but did offer to make a custom set for me if interested - really lovely people!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 03-25-2023 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:45 PM

I've been through many sets of DR strings, at least a couple of dozen, and never had a bad string thus far. I use Sunbeams, but to change things up a bit I use Rares on occasion also.

Once I had a set that was packaged incorrectly from the factory. It was a set of Sunbeams, but a couple of the strings were clearly from a different set, possibly electric. I emailed DR and got a new set of Sunbeams in the mail straight away.

Sorry to learn that their customer service seems to have slipped since then, hopefully it will be back to where it used to be.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 03-26-2023, 11:35 AM

I have used DR Veritas in place of 80/20 strings to tame a high end that can be a little overwhelming on maple guitars for a while now. They have better highs than any other coated strings I've used to date and hold up better than uncoated strings but don't really cost any more. The electric strings end up sounding like a louder version of pure nickel strings too, so I like those as well. Never got a bad set of either and rarely break strings.

I did get a few bad sets of the original DR electric strings some year ago, but I think those may have simply picked up humidity and died sitting in the package for too long between the store and then me not using them all right away since I may have overbought.
Old 03-26-2023, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I play DR Rare and really enjoy them (they're my go-to strings, along with GHS PB lights). I've tried Sunbeams a couple of times and liked them, but they aren't a good fit for my guitars (a little too "colorful").

Anyway, I had an issue with a set of Sunbeams the first time, and DR sent me a replacement set (similar to the packaging issue Bruce mentioned above).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion