The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-21-2023, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Smile Rowdy senior gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
One other thing. I used to play a lot of assisted living homes before the pandemic. Like most other folks I thought they'd really enjoy slower, quieter old songs. I quickly found out I was dead wrong there!! Now when people ask me about playing those places, my advice is to play it like a biker bar. They want the hear the fastest most upbeat stuff you can do. I'd leave those 1 hour gigs more sweaty and tired than a 3 hour gig in the rowdiest bar. Those old folks want to tap their toes and cut loose!
This is often true, and I find they enjoy medium tempo and slow songs as well. I have never gone wrong with “South of the Border” or “Tennessee Waltz”, “what a beautiful world” or “over the rainbow” etc.

But do not play them all together!!!! Hahaha.

And folks will usually respond quite nicely to original songs, especially if you lure them in with the story of how it got written

On another note, you may well find you have stage fright! Embrace it, and make the adrenaline your friend… Eventually it will pass

Remember, about the easiest way to sell your show is to make it fun! And it turns out if people are singing and laughing, it’s really good for them as well.

Have a great time, and spread it around.

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-21-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
One other thing. I used to play a lot of assisted living homes before the pandemic. Like most other folks I thought they'd really enjoy slower, quieter old songs. I quickly found out I was dead wrong there!! Now when people ask me about playing those places, my advice is to play it like a biker bar. They want the hear the fastest most upbeat stuff you can do. I'd leave those 1 hour gigs more sweaty and tired than a 3 hour gig in the rowdiest bar. Those old folks want to tap their toes and cut loose!
I spent about four years playing bass in a band that did these gigs. Oldies rock was always the hit, Mustang Sally almost always a closer.

One other thing - try to find out the approximate ages of folks at the facility. For folks in their 70's, their seminal music years (usually around high school age) were the 60's. So you'll likely get a bigger response from Jan and Dean and Beach Boys than Sinatra.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 03-21-2023, 11:48 AM

Another +1 on keep it simple. Id focus on practicing the songs and worry about the harmonizer later. Personally, we don’t use any backing tracks, harmonizers, loopers, pitch correction, or any other technology as we think there’s an appeal to just humans making music. But to each his own and I’m certainly not judging or preaching.

My old voice coach used to tell me: If you haven’t practiced a song so much you are sick of it, you aren’t ready to play it live. I’d say that probably applies to use of a harmonizer as well.

We’ve played a few senior centers as well. Definitely different gigs. And rewarding in their own way. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

If you are confident of your voice and playing, nothing beats plugging straight into a Loudbox Mini. It’s perfect for something like that. I use it in restaurant situations.

The commentary on harmonizers (and loopers) is well-taken, easy to overdo it. But they add a LOT when you get good at it and use them sparingly. When I hit the chorus on “Sister Goldenhair” or “Amie” with the harmonizer, the smiles pop out. Looping likewise lets me add some sauce and even lets me do some ambient things. But “sparingly” is the key.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Lots of good advice that I'll encourage you to listen to. Keep it as simple as possible and be prepared for some nervousness. These gigs can initially be more intimidating than big room gigs as your listeners are right there. I mean, RIGHT THERE! You'll be fine.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Here is my experience with these types of gigs :

There is no need to be nervous!When I began 15 years ago I realized that the audience is very easy going,even though they may look serious....

As others have stated.Simple melodies .Like any other live gig, know your material well.

I have used a simple vocal harmonizer at times.I tend to over do it on occasion and will heed the advice of the other musicians to use it sparingly.

A funny occurrence.

After performing, one of the patrons came up and asked :"Where is the other singer?"

Have fun!

Gabe
Old 03-24-2023, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
A funny occurrence.

After performing, one of the patrons came up and asked :"Where is the other singer?"

Have fun!

Gabe
Funny stuff Gabe. Many years ago I played as a solo. At the end of the night a really drunk guy came up to say 'you guys are great' Thank you, thank you very much!
Old 03-25-2023, 06:39 AM

Have done quite a lot of these and I think it depends on the type of facility. You said "assisted living". In my experience this means a fair part of the audience will be rolled in in wheel chairs, in their pajamas with oxygen bottles. Then you have the "senior center", which is much like playing a show for a club, just happens to be in the daytime.

With the wheel chair crowd my friend and I would do away with amplification entirely, no mic, no PA, strictly acoustic. We would move around the room from song to song and speak with the folks as individuals instead of just as an audience. Pretty much just turn it into a visit as much as a performance. Don't be surprised if you come to realize new things about the power of music in this situation, and be ready to give of yourself. Some of these folks are very emotionally starved and need your interaction.

The "senior center" places I have been are different. A lot of those folks are widows or widowers and couples who have just decided not to live on their own anymore and need a little help with everyday life. When you show up there they are looking to party and you may get some who will dance. They are (quite rightfully) not shy about enjoying themselves and I have played those places with whole bands to good effect.

My advice is to be ready for either; playing for grandma in your living room, or "doing your act" as they say, and full tilt, harmony machine included.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
Have done quite a lot of these and I think it depends on the type of facility. You said "assisted living". In my experience this means a fair part of the audience will be rolled in in wheel chairs, in their pajamas with oxygen bottles. Then you have the "senior center", which is much like playing a show for a club, just happens to be in the daytime.

With the wheel chair crowd my friend and I would do away with amplification entirely, no mic, no PA, strictly acoustic. We would move around the room from song to song and speak with the folks as individuals instead of just as an audience. Pretty much just turn it into a visit as much as a performance. Don't be surprised if you come to realize new things about the power of music in this situation, and be ready to give of yourself. Some of these folks are very emotionally starved and need your interaction.

The "senior center" places I have been are different. A lot of those folks are widows or widowers and couples who have just decided not to live on their own anymore and need a little help with everyday life. When you show up there they are looking to party and you may get some who will dance. They are (quite rightfully) not shy about enjoying themselves and I have played those places with whole bands to good effect.

My advice is to be ready for either; playing for grandma in your living room, or "doing your act" as they say, and full tilt, harmony machine included.

Good points.

If anyone has the opportunity to perform at a "mentally challenged" facility get ready to present Tom Petty,the Doors,CSN etc...and expect a very appreciative and sometimes roudy audience.It was the most fun gig I have ever done!
Old 03-29-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRGUY005 View Post
I'll be playing at a Senior assisted living facility in April. 45 min set. I've started to put together a set list and am confident I can do a decent job delivering the material.

My question is technology based. I'm going to buy a Fishman Loudbox mini and mic which should work well for this situation. I really want to add some harmonies and am looking at the TC Helicon Harmony Singer pedal.

But...I am thinking for the first (and hopefully not last gig there) to hold off on the pedal and just concentrate on the performance/singing/playing etc. My concern is having too much technology in the way.. extra cables, power strips, adjusting the knobs, mixing, stomping on it in the right places. I will be nervous enough without having to worry about all that stuff. Dealing with the amp and mic will be enough to keep me busy. Basically, keep it simple the first time.

If it goes well and I am asked back, I'll add the pedal and have the confidence to use it. Looking further down the road, the new Loudbox supports Bluetooth so adding backing tracks will be a possibility.

Any thoughts from you experienced giggers? Any other advice to offer? Thanks in advance.
Hi,
I've been doing Retirement Homes, Independent Living Centres and PCH's for about 12 years. I've been using the Play Acoustic and it works fantastic...I just don't overdo it. I play up-tempo music and that's what the audience likes
I'm in Winnipeg, Canada and when I 1st started I had no idea there would be so much work. I mainly use Bose gear (Compact, S1 Pro & T1 Mixer) as it sounds great and is light. I had the large Bose system with the B2 Bass, but found I only needed it 1-2X year, so I sold it.
I route my vocals and Acoustic Guitar through the Play Acoustic. It allows you to add all kinds of effects to your guitar, but I just run it flat with no effects. It also acts as a pre-amp and allows me more headroom for the Bose speakers.
Kirk in Winnipeg

Collings 2012 OM1
Collings 2019 0001
Martin 2018 0-18
Eastman E20OM-TC
Enya X3 Pro Mini
Old 03-31-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
What I have learned about senior residences and children’s hospitals is that the audience really likes to sing along and participate in the show. My Play/Acoustic was great for guitar reinforcement but no vocal harmony programs were used.
That’s the last thing you will need at a show like these.

frank d.
Absolutely! I play at a senior center once a month. I don’t use any amps, mics, or anything. Just me and the instrument. I rotate the gigs between guitar, banjo, and mandolin and just do familiar hymns. I made lyric sheets to pass out too. They seem to really enjoy it and I have fun doing it.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:29 AM

leeW3 and I play a number of these every year. What we have found is that the residents really don’t care what kind of technology you bring or even if you do.
We use amplification because it’s easier to be heard and easier to perform.

They do ask about Lee’s mandolin though.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-02-2023, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
They do ask about Lee’s mandolin though.
For context, I play a Breedlove Legacy FF, an F hole A style mandolin. I explain, when asked, that most people are more familiar with the F style mandolin with the scroll on top. I add that these are more expensive, which is why I have an A style. Thank you very much, I'll be here all week.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:56 AM

I have been playing out a Long Long time. No extras guitar ,vocals and amp. That's enough for my stupid brain!!
Old 04-07-2023, 07:16 PM

I think your intuition is correct; just play the gig and focus on the performance and execution of the songs.

I use a VL3 and I'm increasingly moving away from the harmonizer. These days, I might kick it on about 3-4 times over the course of a 3-hour gig. As others have said, it loses it's impact if you overuse it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification