The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-24-2023, 07:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Worked on the voicing of the OM top yesterday. Here is a shot of the ring mode. Of course I use my ears for most of this but I like the visual representation of the Chaldni patterns. It was very "open" at the bottom when I started, and what "I" like to do is get it to close up a bit. There is a balance of not going too far on the carving, and getting it to close. I was at "my" limit with the tonebars when I got it to close up. Happy with the results

Old 03-24-2023, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Smile Nice stuff!

Sorry to be late to this thread. Sending good wishes for your shoulder and travails!

These guitars are very attractive indeed!

As so many others above, I am very pleased that you are back at your happy place, the bench!

Carry on and heal completely and FAST

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-19-2023, 05:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

It has been a little while since I first updated this thread. I have been busy with doing a little shop upgrade and organizing a bit.

Here are a couple of the bodies that are in progress.

Old 04-19-2023, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Nice Limba...
Old 04-19-2023, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Nice work John,

I'm curious as to why there are 3 holes on the soundboard for 2 of them and the other 2 that look further along don't have them? Also, the 2 that do have the holes, it appears that the spacing of the holes are different. I don't recall seeing holes like that ever before on anyone's builds, let alone yours. Thanks in advance if you choose to elaborate.
Old 04-20-2023, 05:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Nice work John,

I'm curious as to why there are 3 holes on the soundboard for 2 of them and the other 2 that look further along don't have them? Also, the 2 that do have the holes, it appears that the spacing of the holes are different. I don't recall seeing holes like that ever before on anyone's builds, let alone yours. Thanks in advance if you choose to elaborate.
Thanks for the question. The 2 bodies toward the back of the photo are from my Vintage Series, a D-28 and an OM-18. I am building these trying my best to follow the specs of prewar guitars. These two will get a dovetail neck joint.

The two models (with the holes) are "my" designs. They have a bolt on neck joint and the "tongue" of the neck gets bolted to the top. There is block that is part of the neck that is under the fretboard tongue. I don't have a photo's handy showing this design. In the picture below of Rich's SD. Here you can see the pocket that is routed out to accept the tongue (block) of the neck. The holes that were in the soundboard are then routed out.

The holes in the soundboard are there to accept a simple alignment fixture (sorry no photo handy.) The alignment fixture is to help me align the upper traverse brace when I am doing the bracing of the guitar. It puts the brace exactly where I want it and all of the rest of the bracing is referenced to that brace. The reason the holes are spaced differently in the 2 guitars is because one is a 12 fret body join, and the other is a 14 fret body join. I hope that explains it in some fashion. I will try to find some photos that show my process when I have a few more minutes.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Great to see you back at it. Your workmanship is worldclass for sure!!
Old 05-05-2023, 09:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

I started a project this week that I hope to bring to the Woodstock Invitational this coming October. It is my style OM.

Here is a look at the some of the materials I picked out.

In these shots I have the plates joined and a rough outline, the sides are also profiled (but not yet at final thickness.)

Here the back and sides are at the final thickness, binding is made. The top will get closer to the final thickness after I put in the rosettes.

Old 05-06-2023, 06:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

WOW, just WOW John. I assume that is a Tree set but regardless it is flat out spectacular.

Last edited by Tim McKnight; 05-06-2023 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
WOW, just WOW John. I assume that is a Tree set but regardless it is flat our spectacular.
Hi Tim, yes it is "The Tree." I have 3 or 4 more sets, I just hope that if something were to happen to me before I get to use them, my kids will not chuck them in the dumpster. Hmmm, maybe I should build a few more tree guitars soon.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Oh and that is a "master grade" Adirondack set that I got from my bud Randy Lucas back in '09. It is really one of the nicest tops I have come across in a long time.
Old 05-07-2023, 05:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

I got the sides bent the other day, in this first shot, the African Blackwood binding and purfling went along for the ride.

Here the binding have been removed.

The neck and tail block are installed to create the rim, although I don't have a photo of that yet.
Old 05-11-2023, 06:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

A couple of more shots from the shop on the Tree OM

Here the reinforcement strip is getting glued in place.

Here is shot of the "rim."

Old 05-18-2023, 05:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

I missed a few shots of the progress along the way but I took a couple,

Here is the rosette. I decided to try Mother of Pearl instead of white lines in the rosette. They are .040" thick. Broke a couple but I made a few extras expecting that.

The ring came out really nice during the voicing process. It is easier when you have a really excellent top.

Here the back is getting glued on. I know some guys like to put the back on first so they can clean-up any glue squeeze out. That doesn't work for me as the top "needs" to go on first for my design. The top clamping caul has a hole in it so I can reach in and get any squeeze out where needed.

Old 07-01-2023, 07:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

It has been a while since I updated this thread. I am not all that great at taking photos while working, but I have a couple here of the OM in progress.

Here is the fretboard with the traditional snowflakes in abalone and mother of pearl. I added one more marker at the 19th fret. The fretboard is not bound yet. Both the fretboard and the bindings are African Blackwood.

A quick lay-up with the fretboard placed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop